Buying a new house...

Lifetime Supportive Member
Credits
It’s not that I can’t, it’s do I want to commit to almost 1M? That’s ALOT of flooring to clean....
I recall when I thought 300k for a middle class house in SF was too high, so I waited.. then they went to 500k- and I thought that's the Max they can go.
I was wrong dreadfully wrong-- now about 1.2 mil. :hopeless:

good luck-- If you can afford it without maxing out-- and can still afford it if your ARM increases 1 or 2 percent--then buy it.
and pay it off early-- ITS never really yours until the title is in your hands.

Credits
My wife and I just put in an offer on a house and acreage. It’s 8.5 acres, has a 1400 sqft shop, swimming pool, hot tub, outdoor kitchen, fruit trees, a creek so clean, the owners drink the water. I’m thinking this is the one.... only problem, it’s almost 900k... am I crazy?
Sounds amazing! Life is short, go for it!

Credits
The house is 3300 sqft, there’s a wood burning fire place on both levels, and the front of the house overlooks the valley. I can see both lakes from the front of the home. There’s 3.5 manicured acres, the rest is mature forest. Off the back of the house, it’s got a 3/4 acre dog run(which is great, because I’ve got 2 shepherds). There’s wine grape vines along the length of one side of the house. It’s got a 600 sqft cabin aswell. There’s Apple, plum, peach, cherry, nectarines, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, and growing wild all over the property, is a berry we call Saskatoon berry( my favourite pie in the world.... reminds me of my childhood). There’s a sistern on the creek to draw water from. The water is unbelievable clean, so much so, 20 years ago, a beverage company called Clearly Canadian, would draw their water from it. Down lower on the property the guy even set up a ‘campsite ‘, you can forest camp on the lower part of it. There’s a garden that’s 30’ by 80’, and a green house.

Credits
The house is 3300 sqft, there’s a wood burning fire place on both levels, and the front of the house overlooks the valley. I can see both lakes from the front of the home. There’s 3.5 manicured acres, the rest is mature forest. Off the back of the house, it’s got a 3/4 acre dog run(which is great, because I’ve got 2 shepherds). There’s wine grape vines along the length of one side of the house. It’s got a 600 sqft cabin aswell. There’s Apple, plum, peach, cherry, nectarines, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, and growing wild all over the property, is a berry we call Saskatoon berry( my favourite pie in the world.... reminds me of my childhood). There’s a sistern on the creek to draw water from. The water is unbelievable clean, so much so, 20 years ago, a beverage company called Clearly Canadian, would draw their water from it. Down lower on the property the guy even set up a ‘campsite ‘, you can forest camp on the lower part of it. There’s a garden that’s 30’ by 80’, and a green house.
Can I come and live in the cabin. Trade you some rug cleaning. Congrats Jeff, sounds awesome.

Credits
Jeff what will your monthly nut be?

As a former owner of a home similar in price let me give you this owner op advice ..

Whatever your slowest month is, budget your living expenses to not exceed that month's personal income.
Judging by the numbers, I will be paying 600$ more a month than I am now, between the house and separate shop I have. The mortgage payment will be 3700$ a month. Doable.....

Credits
The land is zoned as country residential/ agricultural. My wife and girls want horses. I KNOW they are fookin EXPENSIVE. To buy, and to care for. I think a couple goats a maybe a Alpaca, or a Llama. I’ve already got 2 large dogs. And the wife’s cat..... gotta bring the red headed step child....

Credits
Quarter horses are cheap if you get older ones. Which is what I would suggest if you're inexperienced riders. You want bomb proof, nothing with spirit or everyone will be afraid of them.

As long as the have good pasture there isn't much expense. Hay for winter months when the snow covers the ground. We sweet grain ours 2 scoops a day. 40lb bag is only $7.00 here.

Goats...thems some crazy animals. Head butt you every chance they get. You or your wife or kids bend over you better look first. They love to ram you. They also love scraping their horns on the siding of your house or barn or vehicle. The also make a nice meal after such a mistake. :winky:

Alpaca, llama? Skiddish animals that like to kick and spit. Cool to look at but keep the kids clear of them.

Donkey makes a cheap pasture mate just in case you try one horse at a time. Noisy when they want to be but overall a good buy. They also chase off other wild critters like coyote.

Latest posts