Buying a Truckmount is Like Buying a Boat

Shopping for a truckmount is very similar to shopping for a boat. Most truckmounts use the same major components; same blowers, pumps, and engines for the most part. Boats are built in a similar fashion. Most of them use similar major components like Mercruiser outdrives and Chevrolet engines. Basically the difference between one boat and another is the hull construction.

Here we have an example of two boats that are identical. Boat A costs $22,000. It is constructed of aluminum, has a Mercruiser outdrive and a Mercruiser engine. Boat A has to deal with electrolysis due to the aluminum construction. Boat A also fatigues easy due to the aluminum construction.

BOAT A

316532007916112942525_102_bucloo-00.jpg

Boat B costs $24,000, but it costs $3,000 more to manufacture than Boat A, because Boat B is made out of thick, heavy-gauge stainless steel. The manufacturers of Boat B are charging only $2,000 more than Boat A, but it costs $3,000 more to manufacture, so they are making $1,000 dollars less profit than the manufacturers of Boat A. Boat B has the exact same major components as Boat A; the Mercruiser outdrive and the same Mercruiser engine. Boat B will last forever because it does not develop electrolysis and it does not fail due to fatigue. You can actually take a .22 caliber rifle and shoot Boat B and the bullet will not penetrate the hull, so if you are attacked by pirates on the high seas, your chances are better with Boat B.

BOAT B

Boat B does have some other advantages. The designers of Boat B are the patent holders and the original designers of the Boat. Boat A is a copy of Boat B. Boat B has another advantage over Boat A. It uses more common parts than Boat A that can be found at Home Depot and Lowes. Plus, Boat B is the only boat manufacturer that has boats that have lasted over 30 years, trouble-free.

Do you guys remember the movie Jaws? Remember how the shark rammed the side of the boat and caused it to start leaking? Even though the boat in the movie Jaws was made out of wood, I think the shark would have caused a leak in an aluminum hull boat too, since aluminum is really thin and aluminum boats are made with pop rivets. Now picture yourself in Boat B with the thick, 11 gauge stainless steel hull; that shark could have rammed that boat until it killed itself and the boat would have been fine.

jaws_l.jpg

Being stranded with a broken down truckmount is kind of like being stranded at sea with a boat while in shark-infested waters. With boat B, at least you don’t have to worry about the boat leaking. Besides, with Boat B you are less likely to have a breakdown in the first place because of its simple, well thought out design. If for some strange reason, you do happen to have a breakdown while 200 miles off shore in shark-infested waters with Boat B, at least you can pull out your spare common parts that you keep in the galley. With Boat B you can afford to carry a lot of spare parts because you can find them locally and they are a lot less expensive because they are not proprietary. So when your starter fails on Boat B, you can call Les Jones and he will give you step by step instructions on how to change it out yourself. Now you can motor on back home safely.

Great-White-Sharks-Posters.jpg

However if you are in Boat A in those same shark-infested waters where Jaws lurks and you have a breakdown 200 miles offshore, your ass is in deep trouble because you don’t have any spare parts and when you call the manufacturer of Boat A in desperate need of help, they will say to you, “Don’t worry about those Damned sharks, just get to paddling and when you finally make it in, bring your Boat to the marina, and we will get your special one-of-a-kind $2,000 part put in by our highly-skilled, and highly-trained technician who has a lot of certification patches on his shirt. It may cost you several thousand dollars more, but at least it is done by a professional. You know it requires a lot of special training to learn how to properly switch out those starters.

perfect_storm_big_wave.jpg

The moral of the story is if you are going to take your boat into shark-infested waters, it might be worth that extra $2,000 to have the peace of mind that comes with an original design stainless steel hull. In a lot of cases, saving $2,000 can cost you a lot more in the long run.

Attachments

• 316532007916112942525_102_bucloo-00.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 109

Ron K

I'm going to take my Drehling Shotgun out and shoot my Legend.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Boats are JUST like Truckmounts... :wink:

Two of the greatest days as an owner is ......

The day you BUY it...
And the day you SELL it...

Just ask mArTy..... :lol:

Steve Smith

Les,
My question:
Why do they build so many boats out of aluminum?
Are they stupid.
Maybe you could send you story/lesson to all the aluminum boat manufacturers and all their ignorant customers. :roll:

CarpetKING

Got it...So the moral of the story is don't buy aluminum boats? Btw Masterblend also offers step-by-step over the phone trouble shooting...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron K said:

you mean "Drilling" or "Dreiling" (German word origin for "three" as in three (drei) barrels"

if so....NO don't shoot it!!
it's worth a bundle of dough.
Depending on condition and how ornate, it might be worth more than a TM...aluminum OR stainless.... :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

timnelson

Wonder if the USCG can get their money back for 180 of these they recently ordered??? :shock:

UnderwayStarboardMMC.jpg

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I think that was a pretty creative analogy that was lost on some people.

Les is a truckmount manufacturer, not a boat builder. That might help a bit...

Ron K said:

When you shoot your aluminum recovery tank with your shotgun with bird shot it will make a hole and you will not be able to use the truckmount.
With a heavy duty stainless recovery tank, you will have to use a slug in your shotgun to penetrate it.

HARPER said:
Boats are JUST like Truckmounts... :wink:

Two of the greatest days as an owner is ......

The day you BUY it...
And the day you SELL it...

Just ask mArTy..... :lol:
Joe,
Joyce and I are selling our boat Wed. and it will be the happiest day of our lives.

Steve Smith said:
Les,
My question:
Why do they build so many boats out of aluminum?
Are they stupid.
Maybe you could send you story/lesson to all the aluminum boat manufacturers and all their ignorant customers. :roll:

Steve,

I don't think that it's because boat mfg. don't know better to use stainless steel or the customer's are ignorant. It's just that if a $100,000.00 aluminium boat was made out of stainless steel it would be a $200,000.00 boat.

CarpetKING said:
Got it...So the moral of the story is don't buy aluminum boats? Btw Masterblend also offers step-by-step over the phone trouble shooting...
This is why I recommend someone that wants a oil burner to purchase a Masterblend or a Oxley unit. If someone buys a unit from me the phone support is 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
hogjowl said:
Nuh uh ... they really ARE the same boat in two different pictures!

Ken Harris school of marketing ...

Look again,It's the same exact picture X2.

Can't they be made out of some sort of heavy plastic or a composit material. To make a long lasting tank that can be made for a more reasonable price?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
The moral of the story is don't shoot your aluminum boat. :p

Does this story mean that Judson truck mounts are all stainless steel frames and tanks?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron K said:
meAt...Why not shoot it? I don't know what gauge it is though.

cause I wouldn't risk breaking any parts or putting anymore wear on it.
They're fairly rare and even "no name" brands in original condition can fetch 5-6 grand.
There never was a "lot" of them

Post some pics of it in the bird rm with as much info about it as you find.
I'll see if any of the gun gUroos I know can give us some better info on it

..L.T.A.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I think an aluminum boat is allot more likely to have a sacrificial anode. I don’t think there would be anything wrong with using money saving aluminum in constructing recovery tanks IF manufactures made an effort to prevent electrolysis. A little awareness on the issue is all it would take to prevent problems. The devil is in the details.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom