Can carpet be cleaned with just water?

Mikey P

Administrator
take a guess at what percentage of your next 100 jobs would come out just fine if you did everything you normal do but run just water through your pre spray and rinse or just water through your OP or Cimex?

Consider new miracle fibers, residues from DYS'rs and hacks and most importantly the power of agitation before placing your bets...

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It really depends on what kind of homes your business is cleaning.

Mansions? over 50%

Section 8? 0%

Blue collar? 20%ish

Doctor's homes? 0% They're dirtier than their patients.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I can't speak to percentages

"Consider new miracle fibers": The "polys" are oil loving, so I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Assuming they don't have any rug rats or greasy work/play habits, maybe.

"residues from DYS'rs and hacks": Yep.

"most importantly the power of agitation before placing your bets..." Let's add heat too Mike. Hot water changes the viscosity of oils, so coupled with agitation, you might remove some oily soils that cold-warm water wouldn't touch.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
jack zerkie
Some factors age of carpet and type of fibers. What has been done to carpet or lack of doing some thing.I find some time the very dirty carpets that have nothing done no resolve in carpets clean much easier and look better than the ones home cleaned.Also water will clean if there is lots of residue. Using more chems does't always help. jz

Name
Matt Middleton
Ultra soft water makes a large difference in day to day cleaning.

I have used reverse osmosis water to clean and it does a great job. Restaurants...not so much.

RO and DI water works really well but it wastes water and is a hassle to incorporate it in your truckmount.

Ultimately you need surfactants to break down heavy soil and grease loaded carpet.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
The answer is no.

Otherwise, youll condoning those z-bags...

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I cleaned my very dirty LR this year with only hot water while trying to figure out what was making my dog itch and was very surprised how clean it came out. Cranked the heat on the LG up and let her rip. I think we could all cut back on chem usage and still have thrilled customers.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
take a guess at what percentage of your next 100 jobs would come out just fine if you did everything you normal do but run just water through your pre spray and rinse or just water through your OP or Cimex?

Consider new miracle fibers, residues from DYS'rs and hacks and most importantly the power of agitation before placing your bets...
Yes just not very well at times

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I remember once a long time ago shaking up a 5 gallon container of detergent, firing up the tm, cleaning the house and coming out to find the premeasured detergent sitting on the toolbox that was never added.

So the answer is yes, sometimes.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Ive been known to use just water with great satisfaction, especially if the last cleaning was done by a DIYer or padder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom