can someone educate me on the use of peroxide

matt sheppard

i've seen alot of different comments on the use of peroxide as a booster. what are the different strengths/precautions/instances in which it can be used? where can it be purchased in bulk? are there storage or temp considerations?

thanks
matt

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Peroxide is safe to use on wool as long as it is in the 3 % range just like our average household peroxide. Now synthetics is different.

erick herdt

Um, are you guys talking about using the "home made red relief" peroxide, the 30 volume stuff into our pre-sprays??

Hmmmmm, I'll hafta wrap my brain around that one.

Would it work better than sodium percarbonate??

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Matt, try doing a search for it.... there's tons written here about it regarding proper storage, shelf life, where to purchase etc are answered. The bigger question/debate of which volume %, proper usage, etc.. that's the debate that rages on with no clear answer because it depends on each situation.

I know it's easier to ask and hope to get the quick, perfect answer you're looking for but it's a pretty broad subject. Do a seach, then ask a specific follow up or clarifying question based on your needs. Some quick answers from previous threads to help get you in the right direction:
30 volume, 40 volume and I've seen some others too but these come to mind as mentioned most. Store in a cool location out of direct sun if possible. Sally's beauty supply is mentioned a lot but I'm sure other beauty supply distributors/shops carry it. Shelf life.. I forget how long before it goes flat :)
The other questions you asked.. are in here too

I'd never heard about using peroxide or sodium percarbonate either before I joined the board.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
no buddy is really saying much so I will tell you how I use it, I have pretty much totally switched over to a powdered sodium p, it has unlimited shelf life and always mixes strong and fully effective,

1) mix sodium p with ammonia= stain magic, to be used on organic stains, dog shit, blood, ketchup, worked great on an old orange juice spill, etc, sometimes it can help contain or take out an ink stain that explodes with solvent application

2) mix sodium p with prespray, this works great on yellowish animal piss stains,

3) mix sodium p with a high PH product and you have a serious tile and grout cleaner.

4) some people like to mix it with their prespray on olefin carpets, however I haven't seem much difference doing it so I just stick to my olefin specialty prespray in this application.

the disadvantage of using sodium p over liquid peroxide is that it uses soda ash as the carrier, which doesn't dissolve all that well, and can clog some sprayers, its best if you mix it and let it sit for a while before using. sodium p is cheaper and easier to deal with than making frequent trips to sally beauty supply

there you go there is my take on peroxide and what it does as it applies to general carpet cleaning, I am sure others will add more

harryhides

Name
Tony
Most of the good info on this subject will be found in the Cleaners Magazine Room.
However you'd have to be a "supporting member" to have access. But imo, what you learn there on that subject alone, will save you far more than $60.00.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I agree with Steve...

The powder form is more stable and concentrated for carpet usage...

It only needs to be mixed with water to activate.

Liquid peroxide is probably a better choice on fabrics.

Larry Cobb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom