Canellation Fees

Jamesh921

Name
James
Doctors, Dentists and other service companies invoke a cancellation fee if the appointment is not cancelled/rescheduled within 24 hours previous to the sheduled appointment. Anybody use this option?

Years ago (back in 1989), I used that strategy. Back then, it was only $25.00 to cancell the appointment. I only had one lady cancel. Don't remember why she cancelled, but she sent me the check. I was surprised - and it really made me appreciate her integrity.

Wish I could find her now. I'd clean her carpet for free.

Anyway, should we, as an industry invoke a cancellation fee. Don't we deserve the same respect that other service industries require/demand/deserve/humbly expect?

Custy "I wanna cancel my cleaning today if you won't match this cheapy coupon guy".

You "OK Mrs. Piffleton. I understand your concern. I can't afford to clean for 11.00 per room or I would soon be out of business. However, if you'll notice on the price quote I gave you, in bold lettering, it states that there is an $85.00 cancellation fee if the appt. is not cancelled/rescheduled within 24 hours of the original appt. time. I can take a credit card over the phone or I can swing by and pick up a cash payment. Which works best for you?"

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Dumbest thing I have ever heard suggested in the middle of a recession. But feel free! The job or two it saves is pennies compared to the thousands you will lose due to this policy.

Carpet Cleaners are overpayed janitors in the eyes of the public. Doctors, lawyers, are not.....

Name
Lee Stockwell
Jamesh921 said:
Doctors, Dentists and other service companies invoke a cancellation fee if the appointment is not cancelled/rescheduled within 24 hours previous to the sheduled appointment. Anybody use this option?

Years ago (back in 1989), I used that strategy. Back then, it was only $25.00 to cancell the appointment. I only had one lady cancel. Don't remember why she cancelled, but she sent me the check. I was surprised - and it really made me appreciate her integrity.

Anyway, should we, as an industry invoke a cancellation fee. Don't we deserve the same respect that other service industries require/demand/deserve/humbly expect?

Custy "I wanna cancel my cleaning today if you won't match this cheapy coupon guy".

You "OK Mrs. Piffleton. I understand your concern. I can't afford to clean for 11.00 per room or I would soon be out of business. However, if you'll notice on the price quote I gave you, in bold lettering, it states that there is an $85.00 cancellation fee if the appt. is not cancelled/rescheduled within 24 hours of the original appt. time. I can take a credit card over the phone or I can swing by and pick up a cash payment. Which works best for you?"

How many cleanings have you lost with her in the many years since you got that $25 "going away" present from her?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Jamesh921 said:

James, may I gently suggest there is a REASON you "can't find her now"? It is called your "$25.00 cancellation fee"! Sure, she paid you ... and then what? You "can't find her" because she quietly went elsewhere. (I would have too.)

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS On the other hand it IS frustrating to have last minute cancellations and especially so when they rub your nose in it by trying to get you to match a low-ball price! Grrrr ...!

HOWEVER, remember that due to this recession dragging on it has become "fashionable" to price haggle a bit even if you are a wealthy consumer who is happy to spend the money for the best. So assuming you aren't booked weeks out you might want to not let these customers leave without fighting for them. (Or if you are too good to "negotiate" then kick them to the curb and Ken Snow will happily make money off of them!) Here are 7 steps I shared in a recent ICS article on how to "Win Over a Value Shopper":

"Here is the good news- when a client asks you for a better (lower) price they in fact are saying, “Yes! I want to buy from you! All we have to do now is negotiate a bit.” (If your prospect doesn’t want to do business with you they will dump you and the conversation very quickly.) By following this seven step “negotiating script” you will move your prospect from haggling to buying. So what DOES the customer want from you?

1. Empathize- Remember that “value shopping” is a new concept for your clients too. So many people are tentative, even embarrassed, when asking you for a better deal. So immediately reach out to the customer with a “common ground” response, “I understand, Mrs. Jones. We’re all trying to get the most ‘bang for the buck’ today. (smile) So let’s review the proposal …” At this point you are going to …

2. Morph into a consultant- Your customer thought they were asking you to drop your prices. You on the other hand are going to “deliberately misunderstand the client” and start analyzing how to change the job specs to justify giving them a lower price. The philosophy you want to convey here is “my prices are fixed but let’s see how we can achieve ‘the clean you need at a price you can afford’.” (Heck, that isn’t a bad Selling Statement to remember!) You will start the process when you give the prospect the …

3. “Illusion of Control”- The home owner doesn’t want to be in full control of their carpet cleaning. (If they did, they would have been down at the local Ace Hardware store renting a Rug Doctor!) However, your prospective customer wants to feel in control, both in the job scope and the pricing. By you consulting with and then building an “affordable job” around what the customer shares with you they will feel validated and in control which will lead to them booking the job with you! The home owner receives this all-important Illusion of Control when you …

4. Interview the client- So many times a carpet cleaner will emotionally “draw a line in the sand” on the job price by adopting a defensive, even hostile posture when the customer just wants to feel “listened to” and in control. Give your customer control by interviewing them using “Valid Business Questions” (VBQ’s) such as, “What areas are the biggest priorities for you?” or “Where do you have the most traffic?” or “What (or where) are the worst spots and stains in your home?” The longer you can keep the home owner actively involved in answering these VBQ’s the better because you want to …

5. Benefit from the ROI principle- Basic business psychology tells us that the longer you keep the customer involved in the sales process using “VBQ’s” the more likely it is that they will want a “return on their time invested”. And what is the ONLY WAY they can get a good return? Bingo! By having you do the job! (This ROI principle of selling is used extensively by car dealers and real estate agents.) After you have thoroughly interviewed the home owner (and in the process built a professional relationship) you must now …

6. Present their alternatives- This “consultant selling” is based on the old sales concepts of you get to choose one of three flavors, “me, me or me”. In other words you take the information and priorities you received in the Cleaning Interview and massage it into three different price points that give the customer the best appearance possible for her budgeted amount while still giving you the profit percentage you need. After reviewing their options you must now …

7. “Ask for the order”- Due to the dreaded “fear of rejection” we will keep talking in circles instead of “popping the question”! This is a far too common way of losing the sale. Remember that IF you have followed the six steps above and IF the customer has agreed with and/or given their input on every point they really have been giving a steady stream of yes’s all along the way! So you have nothing to fear by using my Three Question Closing the Sale technique,

1. “So of these three options, Mrs. Jones, which one best meets your needs? SHUT UP and wait for her response.
2. “Great! Now are we working with any deadlines on getting this work done?” SHUT UP and wait for her response. If the answer is “No, any day works” you have yourself a YES! On the other hand, if she says, “Well, I’d like it done before my party next Friday …” even better! But if her answer is sort of vague then just move to my third Closing Question …
3. “Is there a day of the week that is better or worse for you?” Once again, SHUT UP and wait for her response. If she replies, “Tuesdays are really full around here” you have yourself a YES! If she says, “No any day works this week” it is another YES!

NOTE: I’ve focused the Seven Steps above on the residential market. But this same Value Shopper system works great in the price conscious contract commercial and janitorial market too. In fact, I have a Commercial Carpet Analysis Form free for the downloading and of course it is free: http://sfs.jondon.com/1972/resources/pa ... t-analysis

(You just knew there just had to be a promotional link hidden away somewhere, didn't you?)

Jimbo

I don't think you should ask for one.....

especially if you cannot spell it!

"Canellation Fees"

Give it a try.

Just ask the customer for a credit card number when they call to schedule the appointment. Charge them 25 dollars and credit it to their invoice. If they cancel and give 24 hours notice, refund their money. If not tell them they loose the deposit.

I don't see anything wrong with it. It will separate the people that really want cleaning done, and the ones that think they want cleaning done.

Just don't advertise it.

If someone has a problem with the fee, tell them they can book an appointment, but if someone else calls you may have to give them their appointment spot.

I had two that we rung the bell and the customer said they were going to have to reschedule. :evil:

Try it out and see how it works. Again don't advertise it.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I told my dentist after he said he will have the invoice paid in a week or so that I needed a $20 co pay right there

Fred Homan

What do you do when you go to clean an apartment and I cleaned it a month ago? All the property manager said was.....Sorry. This was like 45 miles away from me. She probably would have been pissed if I would have invoiced her $50.00 for a trip charge and not given me anymore business? I did not. I do not need anger management....I just need people to stop pissing me off!! :evil:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
commercial cancellations I would set a charge if it were they just weren't ready and If it was when I got there I am sure as business people they would understand. I know a lawyer I do business with cancelled and added $125 to the next order

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Asking for a last minute cancellation fee may be justified, however it changes the nature of the relationship with the client.

From one of creating good will to a disciplinary one.

Usually, not a good idea.

With an habitual last minute canceler- consider not retaining them. In that case, asking for a cancellation fee may be the polite way of firing them.

And on rare occasions, may actually work and make them better clients.

T

The Magician

I'm always overbooked so when I get a cancellation I'm ready to do cartwhells for the extra time off. I make use of the time. Change oil in the tm, maintenace, pick up last minute grocery trips etc.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The Magician said:
I'm always overbooked so when I get a cancellation I'm ready to do cartwhells for the extra time off. I make use of the time. Change oil in the tm, maintenace, pick up last minute grocery trips etc.
Forget the maintenance.
Do more cartwheels.

Better exercise.
Good for the mood and self esteem.
And may reduce the chiropractor bills :p

Jamesh921

Name
James
Jimbo
Post subject: Re: Canellation Fees

I don't think you should ask for one.....

especially if you cannot spell it!

"Canellation Fees"

Hey, I spelled it correctly in the rest of my post. shiteatinggrin But, since you're the self-appointed spelling police, I'll take special pleasure in scrutinizing all your future posts. !dork!

randy

Name
Randy
Re: Cancellation Fees

1) There is no legal basis for the collection of cancellation fees, unless it's in the contract. Even then it would probably be tossed by the judge if it didn't apply to the service provider as well. " Mr. carpet cleaner I'm sorry your running late from you 9:00 appointment but there will be a $25.00 fee for your inability to properly schedule your work". Are you really going to attempt to force a customer to pay this fee ? How would you feel about it ? Would you feel like a valued customer or a faceless check.

2) If I was you competitor I would run the following ad just to burn your ass:

Do you need to cancel your carpet cleaning appointment with the arrogant, soon to fail cleaner that is insisting on a $25 cancellation fee ? Call me at 818-987-67-- , we will send the cleaner a check for the cancellation fee, give you a $25 gift card for dinner at Outback as an apology from out industry on behalf the the imbecile cleaner you initially called. Lastly we will extend to you preferred customer status for life, which will give you total freedom in the scheduling of service with no additional fees.

Whenever you think about a new policy, think more about the long term value of a loyal customer.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Re: Cancellation Fees

randy said:
1) There is no legal basis for the collection of cancellation fees, unless it's in the contract. Even then it would probably be tossed by the judge if it didn't apply to the service provider as well. " Mr. carpet cleaner I'm sorry your running late from you 9:00 appointment but there will be a $25.00 fee for your inability to properly schedule your work". Are you really going to attempt to force a customer to pay this fee ? How would you feel about it ? Would you feel like a valued customer or a faceless check.

2) If I was you competitor I would run the following ad just to burn your ass:

Do you need to cancel your carpet cleaning appointment with the arrogant, soon to fail cleaner that is insisting on a $25 cancellation fee ? Call me at 818-987-67-- , we will send the cleaner a check for the cancellation fee, give you a $25 gift card for dinner at Outback as an apology from out industry on behalf the the imbecile cleaner you initially called. Lastly we will extend to you preferred customer status for life, which will give you total freedom in the scheduling of service with no additional fees.

Whenever you think about a new policy, think more about the long term value of a loyal customer.

LMFAO! Awesome

Jamesh921

Name
James
I brought up this subject because of a previous post made by BLewis:

"Quote:"

While at our first appt today, I received a call from office (wife) saying the 11 had called and she had did some price shopping and had found her 3 rooms (2 rooms and set of stairs) could be cleaned for $79. She told the office that 3 different carpet cleaners had quoted her that and she wanted to know if we would honor that price. I told the wife no we couldn't, so she went with one of the other cleaners and now "she" called and said to cancel her neighbors 1 o'clock cuz they were going with the same cleaner. WTH! Here I was planning on increasing prices next spring and all the cleaners here are going down. One company has 5 billboards adv. 3 areas for $89. I did away with the truck fee earlier in the year but, don't plan on going down anytime soon on pricing. Insurance, fuel, groceries aren't going down any are they! I know I shouldn't be this upset over price shoppers however, we turned down other jobs when these were scheduled for today.

Well, I guess I will enjoy my extended weekend.

"Unquote"

I don't believe Mr. Lewis was going to retain these customers no matter what he did. These ladies called his office with and ultimatum, "Lower your price or we're going somewhere else".

Having a cancellation fee in place "may have" averted him from losing 2 jobs, and the income he would have recieved from those 2 jobs, that were scheduled for that day.

Obviously, these 2 clients were not loyal to his company and were attempting to hold him hostage over a lower-price cleaner.

Unless this other company totally screws up these 2 jobs, I seriously doubt that Billy will ever hear from them again. Don't you think?

Either way, it appears that these 2 customers are lost for ever. Even if the other company screws things up, I doubt they'd call Billy back again. If for no other reason, out of pure embarrassment for holding him hostage. Instead, they'll probably call someone else.

With that said, I'm not advocating a cancellation fee. I was simply asking for opinions from the folks on this board about how they felt about them. Whether we, as an industry, deserved to charge one.

I guess the consensus from some of the members of this board is that we DO NOT. Others would disagree.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Your first problem with your thought was you were comparing us to doctors. Many doctors are on strict schedules and their work CAN be detrimental to someone's health depending on how much they are in demand. If you cancel on a doctor, that is one more person they could have treated. However, if someone misses an appointment to have their carpets cleaned, more than likely they won't having a continuing fever, pain, or discover a life altering disease.

We have to bend over kissing ass to make money. A doctor tells us to bend over while they give us a rectal exam and remove all the money we have!

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Jamesh921 said:
I don't believe Mr. Lewis was going to retain these customers no matter what he did. These ladies called his office with and ultimatum, "Lower your price or we're going somewhere else".
I agree. These were probably loser clients. However, the danger is that a few rogue customers will cause us to install rules and procedures that turn into major negative Moments of Truth for all of our customers.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Once again, it all comes back to dollars and cents and is the customer worth it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom