Car urine in carpet on slab

Claptonfan

Name
Nick
I am new here. Embarrassed more than you know with this question but will ask anyway.

My mother loves cats and finding homes for what she calls "unadoptable cats" that are middle aged etc. I have my own opinions of this and voiced it many times but she is adamant that she is doing it. I worry about her health because I feel if it is a problem animal marking there is nothing she can do but it falls on deaf ears with her. I help her out all I can but I have a family myself and I simply cannot afford to pay a pro to do this work monthly like I want to. I can buy chems but I draw a blank on equipment. What I would like if anyone here is willing to help is a spot setup for around $500 to $1000 that will do a better job than what I am doing.

I have read a lot here and understand I am fighting a gross uphill battle and risking my health but I have to help as the cats according to her are keeping her going and I made a promise not to put her in a nursing home. I feel stuck honestly, but I do know her home is not full or crap and is cleaned well twice per day. I just worry about it.

Thankfully the cats are in a large heated/ac garage but it is attached to the house. Slab concrete in the garage but it is carpeted with rubber backed tile style carpet so pee is the big problem as they rarely crap out of the boxes.

How can I handle this the best I can? I have mentioned scrapping the carpet tiles and sealing the concrete well but to her it is not an option. I have to do the best I can and try to support this for many reasons. The biggest being she supported me during my time off work for several back surgeries for a motorcycle accident. Not a reason for living like she is but I have to pay that forward.

I currently use bac a zap enzyme soak for a few hours atleast monthly and pull it back out with a good shop vac, dry with fans and follow with Odorcide. I am not expecting a miracle here at all, more than that I am looking for a way to speed the process and not add a mold issue. Icing on the cake would be doing a better job.

Please help if you can. I understand this is a board of professionals and with this economy I honestly don't want to take money from your pockets but any little tip would be appreciated.

Disgusted claptonfan

J

JS41035

Sounds like you might need the help of a different kind of professional :)

Reactions: GCCLee

Claptonfan

Name
Nick
Tell me about it. The fact is that according to the city it is acceptable. To me it is not acceptable at all but to the city this saves them money over the euthanize program. Small city of 5000.

I share your humor though. I just want to help the situation since they won't shut it down. Trust me "anonymous" tip was my first three approaches.

Any ideas on how to make it better Ina smaller budget? I will never let my kids stay there but would like it acceptable smell wise so she can get rid of some of these cats. Please put pro advice that is practical even to me and advise how I can help at least somewhat. I know pee is so thick there that I would burn it down personally bit any input would help to at least improve the smell I suffer one weekend a month all day each day.

I understand miracles can't be worked but what do you guys do in my situation that I can buy for around $1000.

If you don't want to let those secrets go I really do understand. I just had to ask so I know I tried.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Remove the carpet and deal with the concrete.

Open the garage door and hose down/wash the slab thoroughly as needed.

Tell her you are going to replace it with new carpet......................eventually..........:winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: JS41035

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

Tell her you are going to replace it with new carpet......................eventually..........:winky:

Heck yea, worth a try.

Sound like a pressure washer is what you need, Nick. Where in IL you from?

Claptonfan

Name
Nick
That is something I haven't tried!!! I have a steam Jennie power washer that heats with kerosene. I am going to try that and tell her it will take the summer to dry out with the humid area!!! Vacant believe I didn't think of that! Once the concrete dries should I kilz it with oil base? Or seal it with eagle or similar?

Claptonfan

Name
Nick
How do I do this and not ruin the walls? Even if I wrap with plastic it will condense under the vapor barrier! Ideas?

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Carpets got to go! Then you're going to need to basically seal the floor with killz or similar cause you're never going to get it all out of the concrete if it's as extensive as it sounds.

Mike Draper

Before you seal the floor you can soak the hell out of it with a product called OSR. Odor stain remover. Mix it hot as hell and wear a respirator. I did this on a disgusting floor like you described. I did it twice just to make sure. It worked excellent.

Reactions: GCCLee
J

JS41035

Very good advice.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Friggin Pussy Cats : (

Try getting a Rottweiler!

That should seriously help with the kittah issue. Atleast then you have some control over the situation.

This is a hoarder issue and must be dealt with like one. You gotta get her focused on somethin other than them stinkin felines buddy
Explain the cats will not help if someone trys to break in, the dog will protect her and love her the same : )
Scare her into a resolution!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom