Carbon Monoxide...2 more die

Billy

Name
BH
WOW looks like same exact scenario as one here in TN.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The couple were John Olson's customers...

big fat bummer.

I guess all truckmounts need a big fat IRREMOVABLE warning sign to not run the van/unit in a garage.

Interlink...JonDon...allen equipment....ect..ect....all....need to get warning stickers and when someone comes in for a service..one needs to be installed on the unit...manufactures need to start putting warning plates...on all machines.........

sad really...the knowledge and common since that we take for granted...kills other people....

over at one of our high schools here in town they put up signs to tell the high school kids to look left before crossing the street....and then they had to put a padding on the sign in case they ran into it so they did not get hurt....

what the hell is this world coming to..............what do people think with anymore................??????

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
We need to get Jon-Don, Interlink, Olson, any disty that sends out a flyer or email ad to include a blurb on the issue. Although members of TWGCCF are well informed, the reality is that most of the world's cleaners aren't members of any CC board.

Reactions: Mikey P

Buck1955

Name
John
I've often thought of moving the vehicles exhaust to the drivers side of the van so it exhausts away from the jobs. The local Kroger I shop has stop signs for cars at the entrances, it's amazing how many people walk without looking for cars assuming they will just stop.

Sorry to say these but some people just don't think. Thinning the gene pool may be a good thing.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
View attachment 3785

I couldnt move this other than taking a pic cause its a secured pdf .. so poor quality but good to know .. this info should be discussed in morning meetings for the big guys and pasted right next to the on button

Last edited:
Reactions: Derek

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
View attachment 3785

I couldnt move this other than taking a pic cause its a secured pdf .. so poor quality but good to know .. this info should be discussed in morning meetings for the big guys and pasted right next to the on button

Is that in your manual.......??..do you have that any place on your machine........

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Is that in your manual.......??..do you have that any place on your machine........

I sold this machine back in 2009 and I remember seeing some kind of warning sticker but not sure what it was .. could of been "wear ear protection" for all I know .. it was something I didnt think about .. I looked up the manual online to see what I could find ..

It was actually a Cleanco 47 disguised by Prochem .. which now Prochem dosent offer this option anymore .. so maybe Cleanco might have the warning label for sale .. Im sure someone in America has a label for sale ..

Last edited:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I just thumbed through the Cleanco manual pdf and in small lettering I see the warning for exhaust fumes but no dummy stickers .. boy - they must think were a smart group of people .. it should be mandatory to have a sticker placed next to the on button to save a life .. I could see the families of the deceased technician suing the carpet cleaning company if theres no warning stickers placed on the machine .. all the companies Ive worked for and any tech Ive ever had have never read or discussed the manual

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I just thumbed through the Cleanco manual pdf and in small lettering I see the warning for exhaust fumes but no dummy stickers .. boy - they must think were a smart group of people .. it should be mandatory to have a sticker placed next to the on button to save a life .. I could see the families of the deceased technician suing the carpet cleaning company if theres no warning stickers placed on the machine .. all the companies Ive worked for and any tech Ive ever had have never read or discussed the manual

agree....there should be a huge warning on every machine right next to the ignition....manufactures need to start putting them on ALL new machines...distributors need to start making sure that every machine that passes threw there store gets on put on....

this is not hard to get into place and make sure it gets done........by next week...every interlink...should have them...by next week every distributor should have them...by next week every machine sitting around or being built by every manufacture...should have them....

who will step up to the plate first..and get the ball rolling...............

Reactions: Spurlington

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
This would probably be a good time for the Bane family to cash in .. using these stories to promote their system .. having a minivan with a 70 gallon mount would be nice for pulling into the garage and then shut the door - winter season machine .. I'd consider that .. otherwise I prefer my comfy couch .. peak out of the window a few times - just to remind me why I'm on the couch

Also could sell the idea to customers using your winter machine in the garage would not allow blustering wind to enter the front door - and winter heat drys carpet faster - hey .... I might be on to something

Last edited:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Jim we will be implementing some things Monday and you will see emails from us and on our education website before the end of the day. Every new and used machine we sell from tomorrow on will come with a portable co2 detector for free. Jose was a good man and I am absolutely heart broken. He is the type of customer that I stay doing this for. I just can't believe this happened to him and his wife. He wasnt a stupid man. :(

John Olson

Name
John Olson
And just so everyone knows that co2 warning is in every manual for every machine. Go look. We discuss it and it is in the manual but it is easy to overlook or think it won't or can't happen to me. Jose wasn't stupid he made a terrible awful mistake and I'm sure he did it for his wife which makes it even more devistating :(

Reactions: SamIam

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

the book is not good enough...it needs to be on the machine so everyone can see it...we take a lot of things for granted anymore...what if some one bought a used machine and did not have a book.....loaned there machine to some one.....there is a stack of what if's...a big warning in plane site is where it is going to make the difference....

I knew you would be the first to step up...Thanks John.......

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
This would probably be a good time for the Bane family to cash in .. using these stories to promote their system .. having a minivan with a 70 gallon mount would be nice for pulling into the garage and then shut the door - winter season machine .. I'd consider that .. otherwise I prefer my comfy couch .. peak out of the window a few times - just to remind me why I'm on the couch

Also could sell the idea to customers using your winter machine in the garage would not allow blustering wind to enter the front door - and winter heat drys carpet faster - hey .... I might be on to something

That Is why I use an electric truckmount with propane heat. When it is cold I can pull in the garage. No carbon monoxide!! I would guess the spike in cold weather this winter has led to the increased numbers of deaths.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
That Is why I use an electric truckmount with propane heat. When it is cold I can pull in the garage. No carbon monoxide!! I would guess the spike in cold weather this winter has led to the increased numbers of deaths.

you are giving some of the worst advice out there and someone is going to get hurt..........

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is responsible for almost 25% of all propane related fatalities. Carbon Monoxide is the product of incomplete gas combustion often because appliances are improperly adjusted. Properly functioning propane appliances will produce what is called an "ideal burn" during combustion and present no danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can lead to severe injury and even death..........

Carbon Monoxide is produced during the incomplete combustion of propane...............

These are the first warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning resulting from the improper, unsafe use of portable propane heaters. Advanced exposure to carbon monoxide can result in:

• Cardiovascular collapse
  • Coma
  • Death
Clearly, the dangers of using a propane are real

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
My heart felt condolences go out to the family and friends. I'm all for awareness and education but I question how much good warning stickers do. I personally don't even notice them on a daily basis. Just like the banners on a web page.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My heart felt condolences go out to the family and friends. I'm all for awareness and education but I question how much good warning stickers do. I personally don't even notice them on a daily basis. Just like the banners on a web page.

there is absolutely nothing you can do that is going to be 100%.....all I am saying is...tucking the warning in a book..is not the answer...its needs to be out front where everyone or anyone can see it.....

we can't save the world....but if it can prevent things like this to happen a lot less....then it's worth it...............

Reactions: Billy

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
there is absolutely nothing you can do that is going to be 100%.....all I am saying is...tucking the warning in a book..is not the answer...its needs to be out front where everyone or anyone can see it.....

we can't save the world....but if it can prevent things like this to happen a lot less....then it's worth it...............

Agreed!! What would it take to make some warning decals!! It would inform to prevent death & injury and might help with liability issues for the manufactures. ( Heck they have warning labels on every thing. Time for carpet cleaning equipment makers to step up!!!

Reactions: Jim Martin

Becker

Name
Becker
Many years ago it became law to display co warnings on water craft.

State gave stickers away when the yearly tags or plates were bought.

My fishing boat has one on the dash. My cruiser on the dash and down below.

Most makers of tms put burn and moving part warnings on the console. But no co.

A bigger thing is. People think the smell of exhaust would warn them in time. Co is odorless!!!!! No warning.

Dave is playing with fire with his propane heater. For the sake of his client I hope his heater never malfunctions. Him, well he knows the risks and still does what he does so I just hope if he goes, he goes alone or wakes up and removes the risk.

Reactions: TimM and Jim Martin

John Olson

Name
John Olson
There are ways.... I wonder if Prochem would get upset if we plagiarized it?

View attachment 3791

I'm already on it. We should have them pretty fast. I'll make sure every distributor willing to promote and educate will get these as soon as they are available. It is the weekend so I can only do so much but it is top priority for Monday. I'll be contacting sapphire Monday as I don't have the same relationship with the guys to bother them on Sunday like I do with Tim Baker but trust me me and Tim are making this happen Monday.

They identified Jose and Maria officially today....even though I already knew in my heart part of me was hoping against all hope that it wasn't them not that I would want it to be anyone else just....I don't know....it really ****ing sucks and is so sad... :(

Billy

Name
BH

John that is very proactive of you & caring also.

As I said in another post I added a CO Detector on my truck last year for our safety & due to these incidents I added a second portable one to the truck for extra safety. They are very cheap preventive measures IMO & could save someones life that for whatever reason isn't thinking as clearly as they should be.

I implement many Policies that some say are Unnecessary Overkill but I always try to Err... on the side of Safety for not only us but also for anyone in the area of us working.

We had a small scare on Friday because the client add a problem with their Security system that caused it to sound a false alarm. We knew we shouldn't be the problem because we were parked well away from any entrance but the recent incidents were fresh so we of course were more concerned wanting to make sure even the clients house didn't have an issue.

I just checked the ATs Manual & there are two warnings about CO Dangers in it but there are no warning stickers on the truck although I really am not sure I believe a Warning Sticker is a true answer over better education when purchasing Trucks.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
First off education is important, most people know running a car in a enclosed area is dangerous! why would any other gas combustible engine be different?

Carbon Monoxide may be odorless but the exhaust for a car and truck mount stinks.

It doesn't take long to get nauseous and headaches. At some point you start to feel it.

Its so sad, I have customers all the time offering their garage to me to get closer. Then I say ya but my engine would be putting out carbon monoxide, that wouldn't be healthy.

Then I see the light go on in their head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
When warning people they shouldn't run their equipment in a garage with the door shut, let them know not to use the toaster in a bathtub, put a loaded gun in their mouth, poke
Bears with a sharp object, play in traffic at night wearing all black.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom