carpet cleaning and fleas

randy

Name
Randy
I wouldn't count on cleaning to solve the problem. MicroBAN x-580 or Sterfab

Name
Shawn Forsythe
If you claim that any product or procedure mitigates, controls, kills, any pest, unwanted organism or flora, then you are using a "pesticide". If you perform such action for another person in commerce, then you are subject to regulation of your service or product.

While "cleaning" may reduce any infestation, it is merely incidental and not necessarily subject to a claim of efficacy for profit, unless there is an approval subject to document proof of a level meeting regulations of such.

Make sure:

1) You only use a product that states efficacy for the action you are undertaking, and you use said product in the manner prescribed for your task on the particular surface you are treating.
2) You observe all state and local regulations concerning pesticide use, licensing, and record keeping. You may need to be a licensed applicator. I see in Oregon, you certainly do.

Last edited:
Reactions: GCCLee

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
To answer your question directly: My experience is that it reduces both substantially, but does not eliminate it.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Fleas can be very hard to eliminate. The egg casings are very hard to impregnate. They can lay dormant for years in a vacant house and not hatch out until their is a host present. (A female flea can lay 50 eggs a day.) It takes several treatments every month or so to follow the fleas' cycles of development to get on top of the problem

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Killing eggs, larvae and adult fleas with carpet cleaning is very effective. Actually killing these stages of a flea is easily controlled by home and professional pest control products. The problem is with the pupae. This is the stage after the larvae that will lay dormant until an environment is present to induce them to emerge. The pupae stage is moisture proof so chemicals will have no effect on it. Also carpet cleaning can cause fleas in this stage to emerge because a desirable environment is humid and warm. Other things that makes them emerge is vibration and carbon monoxide.

With that said, the best treatment for fleas is a chemical treatment followed by consistent daily vacuuming to encourage the pupae to emerge and get killed by the residual in the chemical treatment.

And in California pest control is so regulated it is illegal to offer service for money that swats flies with a newspaper. That is considered pest control and you need to be licensed for it.

Reactions: steve frasier

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Just looking for general thoughts on how well cleaning removes the fleas and eggs, not going to make any flea killing claims on my part

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Using a prespray with a citrus solve booster will help get into that flea egg.

Drying it out and thus killing it while you HWE.

Reactions: GCCLee

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I hear fleas and my price goes UP drastically, itchin little bastages!

I make no express, implied or any other statements regarding critters. I just clean carpets mam : )

Buck1955

Name
John
I learned from having a renter with a cat that you have to spray everywhere a cat can go, on top of refrigerator, drapes, window sills. Fleas suck.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I'm in Southern California and don't come across that anymore at all. I think since advantage and such came out for the animals it has taken care of the problem at least from what I've seen.

There was a product you could use for fleas called M7 that worked really well

Last edited by a moderator:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I learned from having a renter with a cat that you have to spray everywhere a cat can go, on top of refrigerator, drapes, window sills. Fleas suck.

Dont forget Behind switch a outlet covers!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I'm in Southern California and don't come across that anymore at all. I think since advantage and such came out for the animals it has taken care of the problem at least from what I've seen.

There was a product you could use for fleas called M7 that worked really well
I wish!
As someone who has bunch of indoor cats & dogs I can tell you that it does not work. Particularly if they can go outside.
Some work for a short time and then the fleas and ticks become resistant.

The only time, and not for lack of trying, that I did put an end to it was when they were solely indoor. I took multiple products, some external and some digested, multiple rinses of pets and carpeting etc. And it took a very long time.

Not touching on the issue that those products are definitely not too healthy for your pets.

Last edited:

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
I really dislike fleas also!! On those jobs no vacuum,,most the time the PM already had it done! I start prespraying as soon as walk in the door,, and spray the whole place down,,keeps most of the lil buggers from jumping on ya! Years ago we used to put mixed a powder with the detergent/rinse, that was for the fleas,, worked really well,,also was safe for pets and baby's,,then as stated needed a special license to apply it,, and we didn't sell enough of the product to justify the high cost for it. And the cleaning doesn't get rid of the fleas,, the eggs alone are a pita to deal with.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
On real bad fleas, drop the ac as low as it'll go!
Drops em to the floor as they get too cold to jump.
Pest control guy told me so!

I plead the 5th and..........
Bombs away Boys : )

steve_64

Just looking for general thoughts on how well cleaning removes the fleas and eggs, not going to make any flea killing claims on my part
tell them to sprinkle boraxo all over the carpet, leave it for an hour then vacuum it up. go clean a couple weeks later if they still want it done.

boraxo works very well even on the worst infestations.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I wish!
As someone who has bunch of indoor cats & dogs I can tell you that it does not work. Particularly if they can go outside.
Some work for a short time and then the fleas and ticks become resistant.

The only time, and not for lack of trying, that I did put an end to it was when they were solely indoor. I took multiple products, some external and some digested, multiple rinses of pets and carpeting etc. And it took a very long time.

Not touching on the issue that those products are definitely not too healthy for your pets.

I hear you. But I have lots of clients who have dogs that are of course indoor and outdoor and I haven't seen flea problems forever. Maybe they're giving them some oral medication or something that is working because I don't even see for many years that company flea busters anymore

Last edited by a moderator:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I hate fleas and fleas love me.

Had a job for some friends who had a batch of abandon kitties under their trailer covered in fleas. I walked in and out of the house for 2 seconds had 5 bites on my legs.

I usually suggest lighting off some bug bombs, Cleaning then more bombs or get professional help from an exterminator.

I never set the bombs I tell them to go get them and use them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Name
Grant DuBridge
I walked into a rental once that was infested. I had fleas crawling up my socks and legs within three steps. i went back outside, beat off the fleas, and filled my Hydroforce with OdoBan. As I walked in again, I started spraying. I sprayed everything including the walls. I didn't see another flea the whole time I was there. I don't know where they went or if they died or not but they did'nt get on me at all.

Grant

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
To those that say it can't be done. You obviously don't have a Tractor Supply or Farmers Co-Op and a week to mess with it.

The home owner can spray anything they can get their hands on.

It gets to a point when a loss is a loss. If they hit your arms within the first few steps through the door. The Floor Covering needs to come out and a total saturation of every knook and cranny done.
Dropping the bottom out of the AC will send them to the floor as they get to cold to jump around.

Really to be applied in our field you would need an exterminator that doesn't jerk chain with his chems and a Restoration company.
Fleas ain't no joke, especially if the nest up in walls behind light switches and baseplates.
PPE Stuff

Bubonic Plague!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Sure you may be able to do it for your own home. But, to apply the same for an other is against the law.

Oh yea, 100%
Point Blank is your a dumbass if you even attempt to do this as joe carpet cleaner!
If you spray pesticides for profit, you better have the correct license and permits.

I have no desire to assist in a flea infestation. Got my badge on that one and I love my family and pets too much to bring that kinda work home.

Network with an Exterminator......

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
The only way to guarantee 100% elimination of all pests in a home is to bring the temperature of everything in the home including the structure to 145deg.F for 15 min.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
The only way to guarantee 100% elimination of all pests in a home is to bring the temperature of everything in the home including the structure to 145deg.F for 15 min.

15min?

Should I have the FD on standby : )

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I had a customer use diatamashus earth(the stuff that goes in your pool filter), sprinkled it all over and in one day, 99% were gone. Then I went and cleaned the apartment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom