Carpet Cleaning Job Using Air Flow Regulator

CCWorks

Name
Greg

It creates more lift, about 60% of what the back end vacuum motor is rated at.

I have two vacs in parallel that blow their exhaust (230 CFMS) into one hose. There is a relief valve or a vent to let out higher CFMs then what the back end vac has in CFMs, the back end vac has 115 CFMs. I also have a one way check valve in the PVC pipe, this helps to blow air flow out of the vent instead of blowing on the third vac, higher CFMs then what the back end vac is rated for, may make the third vac spin faster and pop a breaker.

Most times when I put the wand and always when I put the Rotovac 360 on the carpet, the air flow slows down. So when the CFMs get low from the two parallel vacs, the vent will close and then the third vac will pull 115 CFMs, plus the third vac will add about 70 more inches of water lift for a total of about 215 to 225 inches in lift.
The set up should pull 220 inches of lift and maintain 115 CFMs under heavy loads when cleaning carpet. If I was to only use two vacs in parallel, I may not even get 90 FCMs when I use the Rotovac 360i.

When I use Rotovac 360, the sight tube shows the water moving faster under load then I use the air flow regulator set up. My wand is even a little bit more difficult to push and lift on some carpet types.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Good job. My boys have built similar devices for porty vacs. A series parallel switch (which is what you have in essence).

RV or MT will now steal it from you. :-) Thanks Greg!

Reactions: CCWorks

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greg;

We have built many three vac portables in the past . . .

You will get more lift and consequently more CFM by eliminating your relief valve . . .

The 3rd vac will flow more than 115 CFM since the first two vacs are blowing into the intake . . .

Larry

Name
Lee Stockwell
High Lift Larry doesn't see the need for the "woosh" of high air flow. However it is very useful for removing residual moisture after the first pass.

While a lift meter doesn't see it, the airflow DOES get the carpet dryer. Variations of your device give both.

Reactions: CCWorks

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lee;

I am one of few people that have actually measured lift at the wand . . .

while the wand is extracting wet carpet . . .

You really think bleeding off vacuum, will extract better ?

Larry

Name
Lee Stockwell
NO, and you know that's not what I said.

How long would you drive a truck that just had LOW gear, just because you loved the torque?
Or, one that just had HIGH gear because you loved speed?

A rhetorical question, because we both know we need both.

I run 47 blowers because I like the extra whoosh in addition to the great lift. Vacuum isn't "bled off".

Reactions: FB7777

CCWorks

Name
Greg
Greg;

We have built many three vac portables in the past . . .

You will get more lift and consequently more CFM by eliminating your relief valve . . .

The 3rd vac will flow more than 115 CFM since the first two vacs are blowing into the intake . . .

Larry

When I use boosters, like the airhog single vac 4 gal. waste tank, a inline set up. I had problems and quit using it. I also lost water lift using inline booster.
I used back end boosters and they popped breakers when lifting wand or when I set the wand down to move something

Duel vacs in parallel give about 3% to 4% increase in water lift. I tested this on my system and found a small increase in lift.
I hear some say they get a increase in CFMs when two vacs are in series, about 6%. And also a 60% increase in water lift, of the back end vacuum ratting.

I put the relief valve in there and pop no breakers. I have better air flow when using wand and RV on carpet, I have a lot more water lift and feel it when using the wand, ex-specially on low weight carpet.
I have not tested this, but I think if a single vac behind two vacs in parallel, blowing two times the CFMs that the back end vac is rated for, it would spin the back end vac too fast in open air flow. This would draw more amps then the vac motor is rated for popping breakers and or burn up the vac motor.

Best way to test Air Flow on vacuum motors when the wand is on carpet is to test the air flow from the exhaust. You might even be able to test for air pressure blowing out of the exhaust.

The vacuum motors in video are 3 stage, draw 14.5 max amps, water lift 144" and CFMs at 115.

Thanks for the advice Larry, but I do not have any problems as is.

I do have thoughts of the two front vacs blowing there heat in to the back end vac, that may cause a problem, but I will not pop breakers.

I have the best booster that I ever used, it does it all.

Last edited:

CCWorks

Name
Greg
Good job. My boys have built similar devices for porty vacs. A series parallel switch (which is what you have in essence).

RV or MT will now steal it from you. :-) Thanks Greg!
If it helps a cleaner do better, that's good. Wish I had that when starting.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I have always wondered why so many of my fellow "Proprietors of a Porty" have chosen to focus on compensating for the obvious performance limitations of a portable machine by merely increasing their "squirt and suck" capabilities, often in such complex ways as this, when merely focusing on and incorporating an effective method of mechanical agitation delivers so much more, and logically satisfies a important component of the cleaning "pie".

The addition of a lightweight means of mechanical agitation is so much more effective, versatile, and satisfying.

In my opinion. my Oreck Orbiter has been my game-changer.

Additional CFM's don't mean sheet to me if I haven't given it a good dwell with the required chemistry, and scrubbed it down right.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its the "Porty Curse" a delusion that you can some how tweak or boost a portable beyond its obvious limitation. To the point that a porty owner will waste time, resources and money.

All when the answer is as Frank pointed out. Make adjustments in the cleaning pie.

Hacks will be hackss???

CCWorks

Name
Greg
Testing tools and then doing a five gallon bucket test with the hose going straight up 12 feet high, with and with out the air flow regulator.
I can say this... This is the first test where someone has actually tested the CFMs coming out of the exhaust...
Very interesting if you use portables.

Last edited:

CCWorks

Name
Greg
Here is another video with testing CFM from the exhaust.
At the very end of the video you will see me trying to stop the air flow by plugging the hose end.
I just can not stop the air flow with the 3 vac motors running. I used mytee cuff and duck tape on all joining parts. So I not sure where the air leak is, as I tested the dual vac motor system and all air flow stopped, same with the booster, every thing sealed, no air leaks, but when all three vac motors are on, there is not stopping the air flow. Maybe I need better motor connections.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom