Carpet cleaning van crashes into café

Carpet cleaning van crashes into Fairhaven café

BELLINGHAM - A 60-year-old man suffered a minor injury to his knee when a carpet cleaning van crashed into the Harris Avenue Café in Fairhaven on Saturday, June 26.

The van, which belonged to Swan's Clean Care and Restoration, was left unoccupied and running in a parking space outside the café, located at 1101 Harris Ave., at about 8:15 a.m., said Bellingham Police Sgt. Mike Johnston.

The employee was working a cleaning job upstairs from the café, and the van was left on to operate the carpet cleaning equipment, Johnston said.
Van crash

When the employee activated the equipment, it caused the van's engine to rev. The van, which the employee thought he had left in park but was actually in drive, jumped the curb and crashed into the building, Johnston said.

Two people were sitting inside the café next to the front window when the van came crashing through. A 60-year-old man jumped to the floor to avoid being hit and suffered a minor injury to his knee that did not require hospitalization, Johnston said. The second person ran outside, put the van into park and turned off its engine, he said.

The crash caused several thousand dollars worth of damage to the building, Johnston said. He did not know if the van's emergency brake was on. The van sustained about $2,000 damage.

The café remained open for business Saturday despite the crash. Employees moved customers to a different side of the dining room, and the building's landlord put up plywood in the damaged area almost immediately, said Adrian Simmons, the café's general manager.

One of two broken windows was replaced Saturday. It was the second time the window had been repaired in three weeks; it was previously punched out by an intoxicated man during Ski to Sea celebrations, Simmons said.

The second window is still in need of repairs. About $1,500 has been spent on repairs so far, Simmons said.

Police have not cited Swan's or the employee at this point, Johnston said.

Swan's did not return a call for comment Monday.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Note to self - if you ever design a pto truckmount - hook up a safety switch that won't allow the truckmount to engage if it's not in park...

Name
Danny Strickland
Does Steve Swan still own that company???

he was one of my fav instructors ever. He would fit in with the "new" IICRC folks. He would teach the course book, but always gave his pracital advise in water damage and sales!!!

he could check out a class Hottie while teaching and not miss a beat!!! :shock:

Name
Jesse
That happened to us about 1 yr ago. Van was in reverse and plowed through the customers garage and into a concrete support for the condo. The back right door was open and got annihilated. I guess our machine is too simple.

Amazing

Terry ( odin ) is in Bellingham..

Sounds like a marketing angle for him.

I wonder if it was a murder attempt on Odin?

Hmmm anyone know his age?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
dgardner said:
Note to self - if you ever design a pto truckmount - hook up a safety switch that won't allow the truckmount to engage if it's not in park...

I did that on a steam genie. I used a 6(3x2) way on/off toggle switch. If the switch was on, it would allow the power to the clutch and throttle pod. But if the truck was engaged while the machine was running, it would ground out the van(alternator I believe) and kill it.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Out Of Character said:
That happened to us about 1 yr ago. Van was in reverse and plowed through the customers garage and into a concrete support for the condo. The back right door was open and got annihilated. I guess our machine is too simple.

Definitely a White Magic design flaw. I did that a few years ago, crashing the van in reverse into the custy's house when I turned the machine on. Not my finest hour.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Did white magic have pto's at one time? I believe they are all clutch driven now. My 2006 won't even engage if the brake isn't set and the ac is off.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
good benefit of a slide in

My friends Cleanco won't operate unless the parking break is on. I was using it one day and couldn't figure out why the unit wouldn't start up. Then I saw the notice on the machine.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The HM CDS used to have a parking brake safety, but they added a park position sensor as well. Put your parking brake on and see how well it works. Parking brakes often don't work very well in reverse.

Chris A

Name
Chris
My CDS won't start in park, and will only run at idle if the brake isn't set.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom