carpet dandruf

steve_64

so that job i did saturday that had the wine spill has an issue i had never seen before. the homeowner mentioned that when visitors would walk across the carpet they would get a fine white powder on their shoes. when i asked about carpet fresh and baking soda he said nothing has ever been used. it was also the first time i have ever cleaned this carpet. ive been working for him for about 8 years now.
i applied protector and when we got done brushing it in i noticed the brush was covered with what looked like fine white fibers. the carpet is an off white but these fibers are very white and small.
the room faces east and is all windows. my thought is that the carpet is being degraded from the exposure to the sunlight but ive never seen this before. and it seems to be throughout the whole room which is not in direct sunlight.
i was just wondering if anyone might know the cause of this? i really dont think its from the sunlight but i suppose it could be. the windows do have a protective coating also and the carpet doesnt show any signs of wear but some bleaching has occured. i didnt notice that until i moved the couch and it was a few shades darker than the rest underneath.
ive seen bleaching before but never this type of fiber breakdown, if thats what it is. i didnt ask about the type of carpet but this is a high end home and i assume its nylon.

just curious if anyone has seen this before?

steve_64

i had never cleaned this carpet before and he mentioned it before i started. he is positive nothing has been applied to it and i believe him.
the fibers i saw are different lengths. some very fine but others you can see have some length to them.
it looks like it is deteriorating to me but there is no other sign of that other than some color loss.

he has cameras throughout the house and told me the wood floors have never been cleaned with anything other than hot or warm water. when we wiped up the floor from overspray our towels got dirty. i assume this is why he is getting traffic lanes in the bedrooms coming from the hallway.

there are wool rugs throughout but none of them are white and the amount of this fiber is too great for transfer i believe.

i wish i knew a carpet inspector.

i may go back with a canister vacuum and see what i can get out but i have applied protector now.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
UV degradation and insufficient adhesive (bundle wrap) with short staple fibers are both good possibilities.

If you want to find a carpet inspector, I would look at www.nicfi.org which is the main carpet inspector trade association website. You could also check with IICRC. If the carpet is new enough to be under warranty, the home-owner may want to contact the retailer.

Mikey P

Administrator
I've had serious "dandruff" issues when using Snake Oil encap.

It's a great cleaner but there is so much polymer in it that a beater bar vacuuming the next day is an absolute must and don't your dare let it evaporate in your Cimex or spraying systems.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've had serious "dandruff" issues when using Snake Oil encap.

It's a great cleaner but there is so much polymer in it that a beater bar vacuuming the next day is an absolute must and don't your dare let it evaporate in your Cimex or spraying systems.

And just WHAT does that have to do with THIS thread? He's already had to tell you TWICE that this carpet hasn't been cleaned before!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom