Carpet Dry times

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
What do your customers really expect in dry times? Does it really matter? I have very successful cleaners that use 150 psi portables and tell their customers that it will be dry within 24 hrs.
How fast do we need to dry and why?

Mikey P

Administrator
Untill the next generation of baby boomers all rock the Dave Rampage experience, our current supply of carpet users will be more than content with sub 24

Sub 12 will help excuse your fresh outta the pen looks

Sub 6 and you can charge .5 more and get away with no corner guards

Sub 1 and you may want to think about the real cost of pulling that off..

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Very important for us as it is one of our biggest selling points.

We tell customers under normal circumstances you carpet will be dry to the touch before we leave and completely dry In less than 4 hours.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
We do advertise fast dry times. We do cover dry times in a pre-service email sent to customers. We base the stated dry times from our average customer's service situation.

I'd say at best only 1/20 people ask about them and make it known it's an important issue for them.

It's a simple response - you are seeking a company to clean your carpets, not seeking who can apply moisture/water and get the fastest dry time possibly detrimental to quality of clean. Your goal should be to find the company that can clean the best with safe dry times.

If they need more we will cite the variables, will you need pretreatment, will you need rotary steam cleaning, is your carpet a low pile, is it a very thick pile, are we cleaning 250 sq ft in a 5000 sq ft home, or 4500 sq ft in a 5000 ft home, etc.

The fast dry time or your house will implode from mold scare tactic has run it's course in my market imo. Mostly they seek a solid service without being sold "soap" to double the price upon entry.

Mike Draper

Its something we advertise. WE use driers on every residential job. I usually give them an estimate on when the carpet will be completely dry based on the season and the weather that day. Many times, half the rooms oe more are dry when we leave.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
they expect what i tell them, and it is important if they ask.

in resi i get 3-5 hr's.

cgd is 30-90 min.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
It's all about the presentation. Clean truck, uniforms, corner guards, driers etc. The successful cleaner conveys Professionalism. That's what I believe creates the repeat customer. Why would they go elsewhere if they are happy with your results.
I think that as long as the carpets are clean with reasonable drying times the customer will be happy. They really don't know what to expect about dry times until we tell them.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
so many hacks here

just two examples hearing from the local supply place:

one tm guy has a hole in his waste tank, doesnt care about getting it fixed...
other porty hack guy was cleaning with two nearly dead vac motors...

so 70% of my calls ask dry times

Mikey P

Administrator
Very few dry time calls for us.

Our repeats are so thrilled with our trustworthyness and friendly demeanor that we could switch to a OP system or portable only and most would stuck with us.

The vast majority of carpet cleaners (especially the ones who don't get on the boards) are Larry Lunchpail types. Unhire-able akward goofs whom you would never want to leave home alobe with your wives or SOs..

Isn't that right Ray?

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I wonder how many of those guys show up to the job only to be asked to leave.
You would not believe some of the customers that I have come across over the years. They look like they are homeless and their equipment is beat up and filthy. When you fire up the machine it creates a cloud of stink.
We always ask how's business? The response is always " Is everyone slow or is it just me"
I think that their SO is the bread winner and they are in this just to be able to say that they are working to keep the peace. They blame their lack of success on Obama of course!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Hows that Trio doing Derek?

Do I still need one???

it is great and yes you do Richard, based on all the CGD you maintain.

i have learned some things tho. i've used the Cimex twice in recent weeks (the only 2 times i've wheeled it out of the van since i've had the Trio)...on 2 heavily soiled accounts where i boost with H.P. and ammonia. it seems that some of the parts with rubber on the Trio don't like the high pH (i assume that is what the problem is) and break down...like rubber seals and such. rinsing the sol tank out and flushing the sol system after every job helps prevent this. but on a big job for 5-12 hours with a high pH running thru the system all day isn't a good thing. i learned this on my own, after replacing a few relatively cheap parts. now i keep several jets and an extra sol tank on hand...along with some sol tank valves. also grabbed an extra sol pump, just in case.

so like i said, on some jobs that i like to boost with that cocktail i will now use the Cimex...like a job we did tonight. took a little longer, but did a great job all the same. i've also learned that Crystal Dry is a fantastic encap. when my 5 cases is gone i look forward to trying SpinVac (if it really is re-labeled C.D.)

the Cimex rocks with not a lot of moving parts or electrical components...that machine will spoil you! but the Trio is a beast and i just keep a few things extra for it in the van...no biggie. keeping the Trio clean is a must tho...2-3 minutes after every job just to wipe down the under carriage & axles.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
did you notice the craigslist guys pricing? the 5th room is $5, then the 6th room is $19. We have guys in my area that do that. Math is hard.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
it is great and yes you do Richard, based on all the CGD you maintain.

i have learned some things tho. i've used the Cimex twice in recent weeks (the only 2 times i've wheeled it out of the van since i've had the Trio)...on 2 heavily soiled accounts where i boost with H.P. and ammonia. it seems that some of the parts with rubber on the Trio don't like the high pH (i assume that is what the problem is) and break down...like rubber seals and such. rinsing the sol tank out and flushing the sol system after every job helps prevent this. but on a big job for 5-12 hours with a high pH running thru the system all day isn't a good thing. i learned this on my own, after replacing a few relatively cheap parts. now i keep several jets and an extra sol tank on hand...along with some sol tank valves. also grabbed an extra sol pump, just in case.

so like i said, on some jobs that i like to boost with that cocktail i will now use the Cimex...like a job we did tonight. took a little longer, but did a great job all the same. i've also learned that Crystal Dry is a fantastic encap. when my 5 cases is gone i look forward to trying SpinVac (if it really is re-labeled C.D.)

the Cimex rocks with not a lot of moving parts or electrical components...that machine will spoil you! but the Trio is a beast and i just keep a few things extra for it in the van...no biggie. keeping the Trio clean is a must tho...2-3 minutes after every job just to wipe down the under carriage & axles.
Thanks, when we finally get around to getting one I'll have to get a list from you. I just got another Cimex. LOL

But Friday we have a project we are using all 7-of them. :icon_cool:

Mike Draper

SEVEN? Wow Richard, how big is this job? How many square feet per hour can you clean and how many helpers?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL It's not that big, 35K but it's cut up over 6-floors.

Mostly halls but some suites, just three additional tech's they will help get the guys get setup and equipment to their floors and pretty much leave them. Then help the guys doing the suites, lots of extra time I think we only averaged 1200sq/ft per machine last time. It took a little over 4-hours last time.

2013-08-29_10-09-54_971_zpsd613b37a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Foothills Phil
Name
Steve Lawrence
I wonder how many of those guys show up to the job only to be asked to leave.
You would not believe some of the customers that I have come across over the years. They look like they are homeless and their equipment is beat up and filthy. When you fire up the machine it creates a cloud of stink.
We always ask how's business? The response is always " Is everyone slow or is it just me"
I think that their SO is the bread winner and they are in this just to be able to say that they are working to keep the peace. They blame their lack of success on Obama of course!

Good one, Ray!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkQxHlr2fXM

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
According to our engineering department, our carpets are completely dry within 12 seconds of take off.

Should you inquire as to our definition of 'take off'?
Please forward your address, social security number and the times you're guaranteed not to be home to our legal department. You will be 'contacted'.

Ray, how many times did I tell you not to ask these kind of questions? They just bring out the worse in us :winky:

Last edited:

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
If you give the answear . It will be dry 30 mins before i start. You may get a funny look from them , but they don't ask anymore questions

Reactions: Derek

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
What do your customers really expect in dry times? Does it really matter? I have very successful cleaners that use 150 psi portables and tell their customers that it will be dry within 24 hrs.
How fast do we need to dry and why?

I believe that CC clients expectations on dry times have been preconditioned based on their past experiences. Until they experience the difference in a very fast dry time they will just accept it as wet carpet is part of getting their carpet cleaned. I have found that CC clients dislike (to put it nicely) wet carpet and the inconvenience that goes with it. I could not imagine leaving a client wet for 24 Hrs. That is just wrong.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Mardie inconvenience of their carpet being put out of use has to be high on list of negatives of carpet cleaning. It's got to be right behind having strangers in your home.

That is why you'll see conscientious cleaners making additional dry passes as well as using Airpaths's or Dripods to expedite drying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom