Carpet Dye Job question...

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
so this is more from a Realtor that i do work for...and being as i dont do any dye work, told him i would ask the brain trusts....

Renter in the sellers house dyes the carpet (probably to hide some bleaching issues)

Now the buyers say their feet are turning purple (i am guessing the color of the dye/carpet)

So with this bleed off, can it be fixed???

Just by giving it a good cleaning (such as a tye dye shirt needs washing after the dying)

do i need to use anything special??

or did they fook it up real bad??

I havent seen this job, and this is the only info i have gotten

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
If I understand you correctly, it all depends on what type of dyes were used. If there were bleach spots, was the bleach neutralized? How do we know the dyes actually did strike? Without seeing the carpet, here's what I'd present to the Realtor/Buyer.....

Best case scenario: Clean with an acid based solution (All Fiber Rinse) to set the dyes, and you will extract all the excess (like a tye-dye t-shirt).

Worst case scenario: If the dyes didn't strike, cleaning may make matters worse. Especially if the bleach spots weren't neutralized. You could extract most of the dyes in some places, while the dyes may remain in other areas. The bleach spots may release the dyes, thus making them visible again. The entire carpet may turn out with a major "splotchy" look.

I would present the options to the buyer/realtor and let them decide. WITH the understanding in writing that the risks have been explained to the Customer, and the Customer holds you, the cleaner, harmless from the outcome of the cleaning. IF they decide to clean. That way, you get the money, and the risk is theirs.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
We can give you lots of theories about dyes, dye setters and dye stabilizers, however we don't really know what it hides and how it was dyed. We do know that there is a dye transfer.

So, really, there is only one way to find out, which is trying to clean it. Charge your minimum, don't be a hero and sign them on a release of liability and do a small test (say clean one room) and see if it solves the problem.

Do clean the hoses afterwards so you don't dye your next job's carpet for free!

Reactions: Willy P

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
thanks....

all that is what i was planning on telling them anyway.....I ALWAYS explain things to them ifn i aint quiet sure...

havent been up on anything written....but 90% of my stuff is referral and i have never had a problem...(probably because i explain things so many times....)

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Hello, what is the carpet??

Is it wool, nylon, or a wool/nylon blend??

If it's polyprop, olefin, acrylic, etc; I doubt very much that the dye will adhere to the dye sites.

Just a thought.

:yoda:

Reactions: Scott Rogers
Back
Top Bottom