carpet made with corn

wired

Has anybody cleaned this kind of carpet. It is also called smart carpet all natural. Is there anything I should be aware of when cleaning this carpet.Should I use a prespray that has a low ph. Can I use Judson 02 or something like Zone Perfect. Thanks Steve Everclean Carpet Care

A

amazingcleansc

I think you should treat it like rayon, since that's what it is. You can put perfume on a hog but it is still a hog.

Mikey P

Administrator
I own two bed rooms worth.

Clean it with the same chems and process you would use on nylon but plan on it taking much longer to dry.

for some strange reason..

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
It is abou 65% polyester and a third made witha polymer derived from corn. It is a new fiber called triexta by the FTC, Sorona by Dupont and Smart Strand by Mohawk. Expect to see a lot more of it. As Mikey stated clean it as any other synthetic.

Mikey P said:
I own two bed rooms worth.

Clean it with the same chems and process you would use on nylon but plan on it taking much longer to dry.

for some strange reason..

A

amazingcleansc

billyeadon said:
It is abou 65% polyester and a third made witha polymer derived from corn. It is a new fiber called triexta by the FTC, Sorona by Dupont and Smart Strand by Mohawk. Expect to see a lot more of it. As Mikey stated clean it as any other synthetic.

polymer derived from corn meaning cellulosic fiber?

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Yes but the difference is we teach that rayon should be cleaned as cotton but Smart Strand is cleaned as a synthetic. Maybe as the percentage of corn is increased how it is cleaned will also be changed.

amazingcleansc said:
billyeadon said:

polymer derived from corn meaning cellulosic fiber?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It has a bit more of a oil bonding problem than they'll confess to, but polyester by any other name (and any other source) is just as oil loving.

And I've not had it proven to me that its resilience is as good as nylon's, but I just have second hand information in that regard so far.

Its better than olefin, but nylon it isn't.

wired

Thanks for all your advice guys. Can I use an RX20 on it. I will give it a couple extra dry strokes and use air movers to dry. I kick my self for not going to MF sounds like everybody had a great time.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Nylon's demise has been anticipated for decades, but it seems the obituary is premature.

I agree Lee. Its a testimony to nylon that everyone wants to make something as good as it is.

I have no evidence that the RX20 will be an issue in cleaning a Triexta fiber. I'm just not sure it will help restore the crush like it would on a nylon.

Let us know.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
It's a good thing we have such a brain trust here... I was going to reccomend a little salt, a lot of butter and a fork... shiteatinggrin

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Because of how the polymer is derived, it is not cellulosic. Its more closely related to petroleium derived Synthetic fibers than natural fibers. But as Jim and many others have stated, its a blend of Polyester and Corn Polymers.. It does clean up well with most ordinary chemistries, but I found its more prone to wicking, and yes it does attract oily soils more.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
You have probably heard of some gasoline using ethanol made from corn. In a similar manner, although may have been the initial raw material, this polymer is more like a petroleum product.

For a while it was considered a form of polyester. Now it has its own generic name "triexta" along with some trade names.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom