carpet mills still hosing people on carpet

steve g

Name
steve garrett
last week I was in prosource picking up some laminate floor, I asked my contact there has carpet went down in price any, she said no not at all. In case some of you hadn't been paying attention carpet had went though the roof price wise, especially nylon. in order to get a decent nylon carpet you would be looking at nearly $30/sq yd. I am talking material costs. back before the steep increase in oil, 30 bucks would get you one hell of a piece of carpet, infact back in '99 the carpet store I worked for the most expensive nylon carpet in the whole store was like $15, I am talking store costs here. apparently the mill reps she talked to blame the still high prices on benzene which is used to make carpet being in short supply. After doing some checking I found that benzene was trading in the $4.25 range back in the summer and is now down in the $1.50 range.

carpet mills better wake up, the laminate I picked up was a top of the line mannington that when I saw it in the house installed, they had to tell me it wasn't real wood, its that nice of stuff, it had 3 dimensional ruff distressed look to it. anyways my cost on the stuff was 3.28/ft which is 29.52/yd, these sort of products have to be really putting the heat on carpet, hell I may just put some in my office when I get my basement finished.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The carpet mills also own the mills that make other flooring. Taking your example of Mannington laminate: Mannington makes residential and commercial carpeting of a variety of types, but also makes that laminate you bought, plus porcelain tile, vinyl, prefinished wood and anything else someone might come up with to put on a floor.

They don't care whether people buy carpet or anything else, they just want them to buy their brand.

DRScrivner

Higher price to buy means it is worth more the clean and preserve.

Who washes their cars?
1) The $1,500 junker- hardly any of them.
2) The 3-4 year old used car- at home in the driveway.
3) The new car- at the professional car wash.

TimP

The Great Oz said:
The carpet mills also own the mills that make other flooring. Taking your example of Mannington laminate: Mannington makes residential and commercial carpeting of a variety of types, but also makes that laminate you bought, plus porcelain tile, vinyl, prefinished wood and anything else someone might come up with to put on a floor.

They don't care whether people buy carpet or anything else, they just want them to buy their brand.

Mannington definitely don't make carpet. Also I think mannington laminate is junk.

If you have to spend $30 wholesale at prosource to buy a decent nylon I have to say you're getting hosed. I think at wholesale the most expensive carpet is around 22 bucks maybe a couple bucks more since it's been a while since I've looked at the price sheets. But the high end stuff don't go up nearly as much as low end.

TimP

Steven Hoodlebrink said:

I doubt that they make it. Just because you sell it, that don't mean you make it.

It must be something new for them because they never tried to sell us any CGD carpet or carpet tiles. But like I said I doubt they built or bought a mill in this economy just for carpet. But I could be wrong.

Even if they do manufacture carpet tiles/cgd carpet. They don't do residential.

Don M

Let me ask you this. When gas prices went up and chemicals went up you raised your prices. How many dropped your prices when gas went down. Every one enjoys a little more money.If you do not like the price of nylon buy something different. Not everyone buys a caddilac.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I agree with what Tim P said

prosource prices have always been high
I can get good nylon for between 17-22
they might lower prices if gas stays down. Ive wondered about shipping costs too. Have they gone down yet?

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Joel D said:
I agree with what Tim P said

they might lower prices if gas stays down. Ive wondered about shipping costs too. Have they gone down yet?

my idea of a decent nylon is different that most peoples I guess, the prosource here is generally very competitive, I tell people flat out if they find a better price use them, that doesn't happen very often, I even beat an online store by a considerable amount.

TimP

steve g said:
[quote="Joel D":wq997hbm]I agree with what Tim P said

my idea of a decent nylon is different that most peoples I guess, the prosource here is generally very competitive, I tell people flat out if they find a better price use them, that doesn't happen very often, I even beat an online store by a considerable amount.[/quote:wq997hbm]

Most city carpet retailers have a huge mark on carpet. We have blown away customers who live in the city who come buy some carpet in homes in our area. Even some dealers online may put a huge mark too. Shoot me a style number for a shaw carpet. I'll get you what's on our price list to see how well of a deal you're getting.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I know one thing-carpet stores have been doing horribley lately, most of last year then gradually worse as the year went on

I thought I would have it made-just keep installing for stores sell carpet myself in another area here and there and clean, but Ive only been getting one to three installation jobs a week so its forced to me to push cleaning more

not easy to sell good carpet i see now why stores sell cheap

definately something to be said for "clean rather than replace"

steve g

Name
steve garrett
TimP said:
steve g said:
[quote="Joel D":1ewnc8sp]I agree with what Tim P said

my idea of a decent nylon is different that most peoples I guess, the prosource here is generally very competitive, I tell people flat out if they find a better price use them, that doesn't happen very often, I even beat an online store by a considerable amount.

Most city carpet retailers have a huge mark on carpet. We have blown away customers who live in the city who come buy some carpet in homes in our area. Even some dealers online may put a huge mark too. Shoot me a style number for a shaw carpet. I'll get you what's on our price list to see how well of a deal you're getting.[/quote:1ewnc8sp]

I don't sell alot of rug, I am always interested in how good a deal I am getting, so give me a shaw number so I don't have to go down there and look, the nice thing about dealing with them is I can set my markup to whatever I want and I can send them down there to pick something out, its pretty convient

TimP

I'm at the store right now and found a sample in the office here.

Style name
q1796
Moon Crest
100% BCF anso nylon
2.10 per ft roll and cut. Which is 18.90 a yard. All that would be added is freight and tax to purchase it for us. And often times on a larger order we can get 1-2 bucks a yard discount on it.

Back
Top Bottom