carpet protector questions

rcl1006

trying to get input on how much to charge per room , and examples on how you would give discounts if any.also any recomendations on any brands you prefer.i know what the bottles say but really how long will it last?

thanks rob

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I charge either half the cost of cleaning if they only want one or two rooms protected. Or I give them about 25% off if they protect the whole house.

I like Vac A Way protector. I use Steam Actions' too because I can get it locally.

You can't say how long it will last because it depends too much on the foot traffic the carpet will see. I tell people a year on average for a four person household.

Ken.

Name
I'm Rick James
I was going to start a similar thread about whats an acceptable profit margin for protector.

Right now i charge half the cleaning costs.

With how long it stays on the carpets is going to vary. A high traffic area that they vacuum daily, I cant imagine it lasting more than a few months. When I am talking about how often their carpets should be cleaned and how often to apply the protector I tell them some areas should be cleaned and protected more often than others for traffic reasons. I "help" people set up a program to help them with their cleaning needs and offer special discounts if they want my help maintaining their carpets.

bonesheal

Half the cost of cleaning is fine if you're charging 40c a foot, but for someone who cleans residences for 20c there will be no margin in it. It seems like most people are between 15-25c for protectant. I could be wrong, those are just the #s I've seen.

randy

Name
Randy
I telling them, " if you want it (the big name protectors) I will sell it to you for the cost of the product but like most protectors they are quite ineffective. We do have a product we highly recommend but it requires a separate visit so the carpet can be dry when it is applied. It is also rather expensive but it does what a carpet protector is supposed to do. 3M Scotchgard & Dupont's Teflon are two of the most worthless products I have seen in my twenty years in this industry."

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Dan @ .10 a ft that is $100 of revenue per gallon of concentrate. That is a profit margin most businesses would be thrilled to have.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Looks about right Dan. At 55cents for cleaning, that's 27 1/2cents for protecting when charging half the cleaning price. I lower the price when cleaning t/a's, so 1/2 of that price still works out nicely since I'm not applying it to as large an area.
If you're only charging 20cents to clean, the protector will add significantly to your profit margin. Plus, its not cheap so don't just give it away.

I've been using the Maxim. Applied it to my own carpets and it was still beading spilled liquids in a high traffic area after a year. I cleaned and protected my carpets every year, so the best term to use is "Reapply/Reinforce protectant" as it always is applied at the factory, and if you applied it the year before, it hasn't all worn away.

randy

Name
Randy
Just so everyone knows, Scotchgard is the correct spelling. Some of your websites and yellowpage ads have it scothguard.

randy

Name
Randy
Ken Snow said:
Maybe that's cause they are not selling genuine 3M Scotchgard Randy :-)

Probably diluting it 1 gallon concentrate to a 55 gallon drum of dirty, rusty water. I once had a cleaner claim, "it's legally not fraud as long as some concentrate is in the mix " , LOL.

Really I think it's wez carpet kleaners be bad spelers & very bad at grammER to , Mr Sno.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
randy said:
Just so everyone knows, Scotchgard is the correct spelling. Some of your websites and yellowpage ads have it scothguard.
:roll:

Make it have some culture, call it Scotsguard.

randy said:
Probably diluting it 1 gallon concentrate to a 55 gallon drum of dirty, rusty water. I once had a cleaner claim, "it's legally not fraud as long as some concentrate is in the mix " , LOL.

When on a course I heard of a case going to court that had this very situation. They had dumped a gallon of conc into a 50 gal drum. The techs would draw a gal and then dilute that 4:1 as per bottle instructions.
They were taken to court for fraud, the accusation that they were not applying any protectant. The ruling came back that because there "was" Scotchgard in the mix, they were applying it and it was not fraud. They were just doing it very unethically.

That was always the biggest problem with selling protectant. A "professional" sold them protectant but never applied it properly and the custy couldn't see a diff. So they felt ripped off and don't feel its worth the extra money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom