Carpet Protector Quiz

Which of the following statements about carpet protector are true?

• Carpet protector is NOT removed by cleaning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carpet protector IS removed by cleaning

• Carpet protector can be applied after any cleaning method

• Total voters

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I have spent years trying to get consistent answers from fiber producers, carpet manufacturers, protector manufacturers, and industry trainers.

To date I have plenty of strong statements of dispute between the above mentioned parties, sometimes even AMONG them.

The poll reflects the inconsistent answers I've gotten. Please put in what you think is true, and feel free to comment as well.

I'd love to see the day our industry presents a consistent message on this issue.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Point taken Brian.

Also, please list your source of information for your position for any who care to respond.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Jim,
Thanks for posting this topic. I too have asked these questions and have received different answers, and feel the lack of clear, scientifically based answers is just NUTS, considering the importance of this issue to our industry, or integrity (recommending protector to our clients), and our profit margins.

As you know, one industry leader and supplier has told me that the effectiveness of acid dye blockers on 5th generation are degraded when cleaned with even moderate alkalinity, and that I should therefore not worry about using a pre-spray with a ph of 10.5 or so in order to get the carpets clean.

Mike Kerner, a chemist at Sapphire Scientific, told me that moderate alkalinity does indeed affect the performance of factory applied acid dye blockers, but that a ph higher than 10 really wipes them out.

And Larry Cobb told me just the other day that using a cleaning agent with a ph as high as 11 DOES NOT affect stain resistant nylon, and that the manufactures are concerned with dye stability of certain dyes on multicolored carpets, so they recommend cleaning products with a ph of less than 10, but claim it’s for the reason of stain resistance.

So, of these three people, two say it’s okay to use a ph higher than 10 but for different reasons, one saying a ph of 9.5 damages the protector anyway so why not use higher, and the other saying that the higher ph will not affect the factory applied protection.

I think I am going to conduct my own testing when I get some time, but don’t feel I should have to.

I would have to do a number of different tests, but the first of these tests should be relatively simple. I plan on getting a sample of white or light 5th generation nylon and applying strips of varying ph cleaners, from about 8 to 11. I will give plenty of dwell time and then extract with plain water, and let the carpets dry. I will then pour 4 ounces of red Kool Aid to each strip and let it set for about a week. I will then rinse with plain water using my portable filled with hot tap water, the same amount of wet and dry passes on each spot. Depending on the results, I might even be able to apply a number to the results, as I have a transparency that came with my color dye kit that has red from 2.5 percent to 100 percent in increments.

This test alone should reveal some interesting results, but I suppose I would need to test different manufactures carpeting, test using different temperature water, and test using a extraction detergent and/or rinse.

Now, concerning the soil retarding properties of protectors, is there any agreement that this stuff wears off with abrasion, or do I need to test for this also???

And lastly as far as olefin is concerned, I think the test would have to involve applying different animal, vegetable, and petroleum based oils to protected and unprotected olefin carpet, letting them sit for a month to give them time to be absorbed into the fibers, and then test clean to check results.

This testing will be a lot of work for a owner operator to perform, and I am not happy that I may have to do this testing myself to find out the answers.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Jim Pemberton said:
Point taken Brian.

Also, please list your source of information for your position for any who care to respond.

I was told that the first time I bought a bottle of prespray that was in the 13 ph range. CCCS in SAC

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Jim Pemberton said:
I'd love to see the day our industry presents a consistent message on this issue.

I am not looking for a consistent message.., I am looking for the correct answers. Using a cleaning agent with a ph of 9 either does or does not affect stain resistance. Using a cleaning agent of 10.5 or 11 either does or does not affect stain resistance. Soil retardants either are worn off by abrasion or they are not. Carpet protector protects ofefin and polyester carpets from grease and oil stains or not.

The carpet manufactures are not going to tell us the truth. The IICRC and CRI are not going to admit the truth if they even know the truth.

We must test ourselves. Discuss the test protocols and results here. The tests should not be that hard to conduct. We may not have the scientific instruments to measure the color of the stains, but our human eyes are very discerning.... we will be able to see the results!

Dang... I don't post here too often... too many "this guy is a no-good lying scumbag" posts make me not want to participate as often as I would otherwise like to , .... but This topic gets me HOT under the collar.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
You should post more Paul. Sounds like you have a head on your shoulders.

You never know who you might help.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Point of Clarification

I'm talking about the protector a cleaner applies, not the products applied (such as acid dye resistor) by carpet manufacturers.

Good feedback regardless.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Jim Pemberton said:
I'm talking about the protector a cleaner applies, not the products applied (such as acid dye resistor) by carpet manufacturers.

Are all protectors available, weather water or solvent based, considered the same "type" of protector, or are there different "types"?
What are the differences in chemistry of different types of protectors?
Are they all Teflon based?
With different variables in the brands of protectors, can there be answers to your questions that will apply to all of them?
Maybe some are removed with high Ph and some aren't?

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Jim Pemberton said:
Point of Clarification

Good feedback regardless.

I understand Jim, but we must have accurate knowledge about the nature and resiliency of factory applied protector, both acid dye and soil retardant, in order to intelligently discuss cleaner applied protector. Then we can also discuss the nature, resiliency, and effectiveness of cleaner applied Scotch Gard, Maxim, and Teflon.

There seems to be some agreement that factory applied protector “wears off” over time and by routine cleanings. Cleaners were told only that using a ph higher than 10 would damage the manufactured applied protection. But IF a cleaning agent with a ph of only 9 is also damaging the protector, we NEED to know! We have been doing damage without knowing it. Maybe a cleaning agent with a ph of 8 would have cleaned their lightly soiled carpeting without doing damage, but we use a ph of 9.5 on all residential thinking it was safe.

On the other side of the coin, what if using a higher ph such as 11, is not damaging the factory applied protector after all. Hells Bells…. We can save ourselves some time and work by just using a more powerful pre-spray.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Goomer said:
Are all protectors available, weather water or solvent based, considered the same "type" of protector, or are there different "types"?

Good poll questions, Jim
I agree with Goomer about differentiating between Solvent based vs water based also.

There is also ( I believe ) a huge difference between cleaner applied ( cold ) protector & Mill applied protector ( baked in ).

I think that it is worth mentioning that we can learn something about this topic from the Mills' own warranty conditions. Most of them do NOT warrant protector on commercial carpet or on stairs ( high traffic areas ).

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Are you going to grade us

Carpet protector is NOT removed by cleaning 7% [ 5 ]
Carpet protector MIGHT be removed by aggressive chemistry 20% [ 14 ] x
Carpet protector IS removed by cleaning 11% [ 8 ] x
Carpet protector is NOT beneficial when applied to olefin 13% [ 9 ] x
Carpet protector IS beneficial when applied to olefin 13% [ 9 ]
Carpet protector should NOT be applied to carpets with R2X 9% [ 6 ] x
Carpet protector SHOULD be applied to carpets with R2x 1% [ 1 ]
Carpet protector can be applied after any cleaning method 17% [ 12 ] x
Carpet protector must only applied after hot water extraction 7% [ 5 ]
Carpet must be treated with an acid rinse for protector to bond 1% [ 1 ]

I know shaw suggests protecting olefin but it is a waste

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I never heard of R2X. I found this on the Bane site: (jimmy sez) Shaw Industries' R2X™ brand carpet warranty is voided is by "treatment after installation by any product other than DuPont Teflon® or 3M's Scotchgard™...".

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
are you going to grade us

I'm not sure how I could grade anybody in this Greg.

I'm asking the questions to prove the point that this industry is "all over the place" with these issues. I have my own opinions based on trying to take what comments I can find agreement on between the technical people in the various manufacturers organizations.

I stress TECHNICAL PEOPLE, as opposed the the marketing types. We won't even "go there".

I also have some of my own test results, but to be very fair, I don't have a lab. I've often been critical of Professional Testing Labs and the SOA testing, but how can I criticize them and somehow think that my "garage tests" are somehow more credible?

I am continuing to be a "pain" with my questions to all of the above mentioned people, but rather than "come down from the mountain" with a final answer, I think it would be terrific to see information published that cleaners of conscience could move forward with and use with equal clarity with their customers.

I guess I'm getting cranky at this stage of my life, but I find myself becoming more and more frustrated with the lack of consistent, proven facts available to our industry.

Paul Demers comments reflect how I feel exactly.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I have 3 gallons of protector sitting on a shelf. In all honesty, I have yet to see a product that lives up to a quarter of the claims made by the manufacturer. I DO NOT sell protector because I find nearly all the products are useless and I'd rather not plunk crap and more chemicals down on my customer's carpet than they really need. I find most appreciate my "protector sales pitch" ( save your money, increase your cleaning frequency). Costs me money, but an honest opinion serves me very well.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Jim... Not to get off topic.. but can you start a thread about different brands of protectors? I am curious what you think about some of them.. I have been using hardball fabric protector, even at home and think that it is great........... Any favorites?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Since I sell protectors it wouldn't be fair for me to start a brand related thread Joey.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
true but i am sure you have a favorite!! you told us how u like the saphire line for uphs cleaning!!!!!!!!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Point of Clarification

Carpet protector is NOT removed by cleaning
Carpet protector MIGHT be removed by aggressive chemistry
Carpet protector IS removed by cleaning
Both DuPont and 3M "technical people" have said that the protector we apply is MADE to be removed in subsequent cleanings. Years ago Mike Guasch and Tom Hill did some independant lab work that my fading memory says bears this out.

They learned from the silicone sellers that longer-lasting treatments might be applied over less than clean carpet and create some serious problems.

Carpet protector is NOT beneficial when applied to olefin
Carpet protector IS beneficial when applied to olefin
Folks at Shaw Technical Services say that protectant helps reduce oily soiling on both polypropylene and polyester carpet. The salespeople at Shaw and Beaulieu point to the fact that both mill-apply protectant to these fibers, an extra expense they wouldn't go to if there wasn't some benefit.

A few people working in the actual carpet mills have said the protectant is used as a lubricant to replace light oils. Even though more expensive it saves money because the carpet doesn't need to be scrubbed post-manufacture. Might be the beneficial residue is just a selling point.

Carpet protector should NOT be applied to carpets with R2X
Carpet protector SHOULD be applied to carpets with R2x
Like most manufacturers, Shaw specifically prohibits silicone treatments. Teflon and Scotchgard are specifically named as permissible, but post-cleaning treatments are not required to keep warranty in effect.

Carpet protector can be applied after any cleaning method
Carpet protector must only applied after hot water extraction
I've not heard anything definitive about post powder or post encap carpet treatments. Encap salesmen say the shampoo/fluorochemical mix makes a non-sticky product that's left in the carpet, so maybe that already counts as protector? !gotcha!

Carpet must be treated with an acid rinse for protector to bond
I've not heard this from any of the mill people I've met, nor is it stated in the application instructions of any protectant with which I'm familiar. I'd like to know if this is specific to a particular brand of protectant.

PS: I think getting cranky as you get older is akin to developing chemical sensitivities. Once your "sink" has been exposed to enough BS, it doesnt' take much to cause an immediate reaction. 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom