Carpet Repair

Bucey

Name
FFA?
is this an easy ad on with some training such as Ed DVDs or IICRC seminars. I would like to offer this service how did it work for you. and I rather invest in DVD learning as this would not call for me to block out two Days of work. How did you learn and what would be the best DVD training to purchase?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Carpet Repair is very hands on. You'll save your self several days of agony if you don't take atleast some kind of training seminar.

I was blessed to grow up in the floorin business with access to many great installers over the years. These are not skills you can easily pickup from a training dvd. When you start carving on someones floor, you better be able to put it back in a better state than which you found it.

A good repair class will also help you target in on tools you will want instead of wasting time sorting through all of the options out there.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Barry Costa's DVD's are incredible. With some practice you can learn alot on your own. We will be holding the RRT early next year (Barry teaching and it is 3 days not 2 like the rest of the people teaching it). I offer a 72 hour guaruntee on the DVD's that's enough time to watch a few but not enough time to watch them all, copy the book then send them back:) there are 3 different sets. The last being the most complete for $299 7 DVD's a 5 DVD set for $199 list and the last one which is very basic which is part of the other two. Call for mikeysboarder pricing.

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
I will say with over 25 years in the carpet business over 20 as a installer,you never stop learning.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
If you don't want to take time off for a class I would buy the dvd's and get some carpet samples to practice, practice, practice. I took Barry's class but don't have the desire to offer repair. I tried a few and I suck at it and no time or desire to practice. maybe if I was younger. I am able to reattach carpet after pulling it for flood work.

I have stretched hundreds of carpets and every job is different.

Sometimes you have to be creative.

We stretched a carpet a few weeks back where we had to build a brace around a desk because it simply could not be moved.

Making seams is tricky but not too hard if you take your time.

I don't have a cool glide so I have to make everything line up good before starting.

There will be some jobs that stump you.

I am lucky to have a good mentor, but I still want to take a hands on class.

I know what to look for and that really affects the price.

I told a guy the other day I would need 700 to stretch his carpet. The job would have normally cost 400, but there were a lot of problems I saw coming so why not get more?

I purchased Steve Andrews DVD's. They're great. After watching them and spending some time practicing, I feel like I can do a halfway decent job on most repairs.

Also, I know by telling you this, I'm turning everyone to the 'dark side'. :) But there was an online webinar with Steve Andrews last night sponsored by the 'dark side' that had some technical difficulties. It's rescheduled for tonight at 8 pm Eastern.

It's on repairing Berber. If you've ever attended one of Steve's webinars, you know how valuable they are.

I'm sure if anyone's interested, you could still get in by contact Adam Raimond (araimond@yaoo.com)

Here's the info:

www.thecarpetsurgeons.com/webinar.htm

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the best thing is to get an apartment complex for an account for a while and experiment on their carpets. its one of those things that tuff to teach or show someone how to do. because the person doing it will make it look so simple but when you do it, it seems impossible. a simple thing like knee kicking the carpet. I have taken guys out and watched them wail back and with both legs off the carpet just slam into the kicker with every ounce of energy they have. the carpet would not move even a smidgen. I would say here let me do it, I would just barely bump the kicker and the carpet would move an inch. this is just an example, there is alot of feel into things and all carpets are different. often times on a restretch I have no idea what I am going to be able to get away with because I just don't know how the carpet will react when I work on it. some stretch out like a blanket others are like stretching plywood.

one of the best things I have bought is the kool glide iron, I only use the regular iron to melt the old tape and to seam 2 different types of carpets because on those your seam doesn't have to be that great. I am able to do a much better looking seam with the kool glide, barry costa did a repair with the kool glide he purposely didn't trim the new piece that great, so some edges were going to overlap, stuck it in hit cook and you could not even tell, the backings softened up and everything just fused together.

John Buxton

Our installers all use the kool glide, they eliminate seam peaking.

On small patches you can still use hot melt tape just use your clothes iron and a wet towel on top to melt the tape. get yourself some latex too for sealing berbers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom