Carpet Retailer

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
I was in Lowes the other day and they have a flooring section where they just have a small selection of carpet samples.

I was wondering if anyone has ever looked into selling carpet. I am wanting to open a rug shop and commercial retail spots are pretty inexpensive right now.

Would it be lucrative to be a flooring retailer as well. If I could get people in then I could sell services as well.

Anyway, thats down the road but thought I would ask if anyone has ever looked at doing something like that.

Thanks

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Well we've been in retail for 55 years.. And so far about 5 flooring stores in our small area have closed in the last 2 years. Many have downsized. Its a tough market to compete in if you are planning on staying on the low end. the margins aren't there because of box stores like Lowes and Home depot. And quality installers are hard to come by. Too many installers who think kicking carpet into a room is a proper install. We are built on repeat and refferal customer base. Like everthing, you'll have to look at your specific area. But I can tell you that if you provide a retail service that is less that top quality, it will reflect back on all of your services. So if you are thinking of throwing something together I would strongly advise against it with out alot of research.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
Yeah I absolutely agree with that. I wouldn't just throw something together. I was just curious on margins like you mentioned.
I was just wondering if it was possible offering a few select carpets as lowes does in a spot that I would have something else like a rug shop. If the margins arent there, then my time would be better spent else where.

Name
Nate W.
sweendogg said:
Well we've been in retail for 55 years.. And so far about 5 flooring stores in our small area have closed in the last 2 years. Many have downsized. Its a tough market to compete in if you are planning on staying on the low end. the margins aren't there because of box stores like Lowes and Home depot. And quality installers are hard to come by. Too many installers who think kicking carpet into a room is a proper install. We are built on repeat and refferal customer base. Like everthing, you'll have to look at your specific area. But I can tell you that if you provide a retail service that is less that top quality, it will reflect back on all of your services. So if you are thinking of throwing something together I would strongly advise against it with out alot of research.

"What you talking about? No need the power stretcher. I can kick better then a stretcher!"

All too common.

The flooring industry really took a big hit. Our local distributors layed off quite afew people. They're inventory is a lot smaller then previous years. 1 warehouse man knew me since I was 4yrs old, he told me there down to 1 man pulling orders and driving the 40' containers. They had about 8 guys in the warehouse. :shock:

That's why cleaning picked up again. People rather clean then replace. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom