Carpet seems to give a allergic reaction to home owners sis

N

NJ104

I got a call the other day of a occupant of apartment. She says that when ever her sister comes over to play with her nephew she seems to get a allergic reaction to the carpet. She just moved in and the carpet is brand new I went over to see what kind of carpet she had and after doing a burn test I found out that it is nylon carpet. She has told me that she thinks the complex spray some kind of stain resistance on the carpet but isn't sure. I smelled the carpet and didn't get any abnormal scents I told her I could just rinse out the apartment and see what that does. Any ideas of what could be causing her sisters allergic reaction I am in doubt that people are allergic to carpet but I could be wrong

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Re: Carpet seems to give a allergic reaction to home owners

Look for other sources first. It could be possible that they have an high population of dust mites, but if new carpet, then less likely that route. Have them check the the furnace filters a well.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner

sweendogg said:
Look for other sources first.

Absolutely. If the apartment is newly refurb'd for the new tenant, you could have paints/stains, cleaners, pest control juice, etc. present. If they replaced any doors/cabinets, many people are allergic to the products outgassed from new particle board/MDF.

If we go into a place where they have cleaned with Pine Sol within the last couple weeks, it just about puts my wife in the hospital.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville

Don't forget any different plants or shrubs, etc; that may even be either in the house or near the doors, entrance, windows, etc;

It may also be offgassing of formaldehyde or other glues, etc; in the carpet.

I wouldn't pick on the carpet straight up.

Remember the Swedish fiasco when the guv-urn-mint ripped out all the carpet in guv-urn-mint buildings due to allergies.

Then the incidents rose.

Carpet is now being re-laid in these buildings.

A test for allergies can also be done by many doctors to determine what it is she is allergic to.

I know these people have a stake in carpet, but this is still interesting::

http://www.doddandsouter.ca/heal.htm

Hope she can find the source of the problem.

Ooroo,

:roll:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

An industrial hygenist would be able to take air samples to see what polutants could be in the air, as well as on the carpet that may be causing this symptom. Since you're unsure of what is cause, I would not add anything new that might cause a worse reaction.

glenboy

Name
GLEN

i had a customer call me this summer and tell me that the new brbr carpet in his basement was causing an severe allergic reaction in his wifes neuro system and she was getting really bad reaction from the new carpet..although the carpet upstairs is identical and has been in the house for 4 years only the new one was causing this. the customer was wonderin if it was cuz the carpet was in storage for a couple yrs..i had no clue,,i just wanted to run when he told me the symptoms

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I think Shorty nailed it...new carpet off gassing.
You know the smell of new carpet??

some folks have an allergic reaction to it

It happened to one of my custy's kids..an asthmatic with a whole host of allergies .
as soon as they installed new carpet in the home, the kids problems flared up big time.

The problem was compounded because of the weather ...too cold to keep windows and doors open to ventilate the home.

they had to pull the carpet

..L.T.A.

Jay D

Name
Jay D

Was there a water damage/ moisture problem in the apartment and maybe not done right?

N

NJ104

No water damage to my knowledge and who ever said about the gas seeping from the carpet really does make sense.

G

Gnu

I had an issue just like this. the apartment had pot smokers. so they used cheap costco paint replaced carpet with all new. and the smell was soooo toxic just upon inspection "the tenant had to move out" In ten minutes my ears were ringing, couldnt speak hives etc... It was the polyp carpet fumes... I had to use citra-pure to strip the chems out and degrease the fibers and the butyls. It was so bad very very bad. The other culprit was crap azz paint. The property manager had spent $6000 on ozone machines and put them in there days before I got there and to no avail. He was convince steam will magically erase the odors. and the tenant didnt want any chems used.

use a citrus solvent to strip out the greasy film covering the fibers from post manufacturing and all should be good. go heavy on it. ventilate!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom