Carpet Tile Issue

Willy P

Name
Willy P
One of the car dealerships I do work for just had new carpet tiles put in the showroom. I don't know if the installer used a trowel with too big notches or just wasn't careful spreading it out because in some areas the glue has seeped up between the tiles. He used Maipei eco bond glue, but dosen't remember which kind. I've tried Oil Flo, and Hydramaster OJ on it and seem to come up empty. I'm sort of caught in the middle here as the dealership is a referral from the carpet store.And the umbrella dealership has 7 different brands and 7 locations they like to keep clean,4 times a year so I really want to put on my Superman cape here.The carpet store gives me tons of referrals too, so I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. The installer's wearing this, but I wanna be a white knight.... :mrgreen:

I'll go by and take some pics later and post them

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Have you tried contacting Mapei to see what they recommend as an adhesive remover?

Sometimes toluol works, but xylol won't. Sometimes xylol works, but only if mixed at a certain percentage with two other solvents. You can experiment for weeks on a project like this and later find out the best solvent for a certain carpet tile adhesive is Diet Coke.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Mikey P said:
I'm amazed the awesome suck of the Resoil wont just lift the glue away.

Go SJ Wild!

It sure does now since I added the Vortex parts!(really expensive parts and piss poor design, but you should see the walk up crowds)

The problem is Brian that there's different rules for different glues and the installer can't remember what specific type he used.I've got to balance aggression with subtlety here as I don't want to disturb the glue bonding with the sub floor.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Not disturbing the glue bond to the subfloor is:
- a matter of volume applied and dwell time.
- the installers problem if tiles lift.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I have a new found love of pressure sensative adhesive now. Roll On, wait to dry, lay tile.. no mess. Now cutting carpet tile.. adf;ajadf18223klj33332311. Thats all I have to say about that! Did an entire building on campus this summer with Tile.. ugg.. turned out great but uggg. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah good luck with the glue problem.

Some things to try: Afta, ( I think its called fourgaurd dry cleaning solvent now) works on just about every adhesive out there. Apply to a terry towel and work the seams. Don't apply it directly to the carpet, regardless of what adhesive remover you use. If its a commercial loop, you prolly don't need to worry about being too aggressive unless its a pOS tile.

Name
Nate W.
We've used Ultra-Dry from ChemMax to remove carpet tile glue... The installer had a bright idea to set the glue section on top of other tiles instead of face down... I know it was some pressure sensitive glue...

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Willy:

I have Inspector these type of problems, and would advise caution, here’s why: The adhesives may be oozing because of a moisture problem in the slab. If that is the case, even if successful all your cleaning of the edges will re-occur. An Inspector trained in substrates can determine the problem. The mill should pay for it proving the Installer used their specified adhesive. It's best to cal the mill and file a claim.

Sincerely,
Dale

Walt

Dale said:
Hi Willy:

I have Inspector these type of problems, and would advise caution, here’s why: The adhesives may be oozing because of a moisture problem in the slab. If that is the case, even if successful all your cleaning of the edges will re-occur. An Inspector trained in substrates can determine the problem. The mill should pay for it proving the Installer used their specified adhesive. It's best to cal the mill and file a claim.

Sincerely,
Dale

Ditto this. I had a job that had this problem. We figured out how to get the glue off, but it just kept coming back.

As it turns out there was hydrostatic pressure in the concrete that was pushing up under the tiles. On normal glue down it would dissipate but the carpet tiles had a rubber backing that would trap it and force it out the seems. At the same time the glue was pushed out as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom