Cat Dander.....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
What exactly is cat dander? I would think it is cat saliva, hair balls, catty things other than urine. How would you clean for it? I would think that it stays on top or in the fibers of a carpet, not soaking through the pad.

What product would be best for it pre-spray and extraction wise??

RIP IT

Name
Chris
Google + "cat dander" = answer.
I would...
Pre vac with a Dyson
Prespray with Ultrapac ( agitate with pad if needed )
Heat wave emulsifier to extract
Acid rinse and deodorise
Get paid

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Cat dander is the feline version of dandruff flakes any of us might have. The cat dander is usally coated with plenty of saliva since they clean their fur by tongue.

Vacuum using a vacuum that won't allow the small particles to get past the filter and back into the breathable air in the room. A HEPA or ULPA unit is good or your truckmount with a Dust-Downer attached.

I assume the reason for asking is allergies. While any good HWE process will remove much of the cat dander, Master Blend has an anti-allergen prespray that denatures (dries up) the proteines in the cat saliva and dander that is the trigger for many alleregies. I suggest using the Anti_Alelrgen products when cleaning carpet for allergies.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Thanks....I HWE'd the carpet today after pre-vaccing. I think the custy was just freaked that she had to keep a cat in her home for a few months while her niece stayed with her. We also did the furniture.

She was thrilled that we could do it on short notice.

T

The Magician

I would vacuum and vacuum and do what Rip it said with out the acid rinse,Deodorize

bobkinnarney

Like Scott said an anti-allergen will help on carpet and upholstery. But I have read that it will take several months to rid a home of dander. It is not a one shot deal and gone. Dander like dust will travel threw the air and end up on all surfaces including heating and air systems. Anyone with a severe allergy problem will be affected by the least amount remaining.

I learned this the hard way many years back. I had a property manager ask me to go clean a carpet that was already cleaned by another company. She had sold this home to a couple and the wife had severe allergies, especially to animal dander. I went out to the job vacuum in hand and did the Marty 4 way vacuum deal on it. Cleaned as usual and collected the check. Well, a few days later the couple started moving in. The wife was in the home all of 20 minutes and had a reaction, swelled all up and watery eyes and sneezing. I get another call from the agent. This time I got the computer and did some research. Went back to the job with the Master Blend product did the job again. No check this time, but learned a valuable lesson.

It can take months sometimes to get rid of the dander completely. So now when I am called for a job that is dander related I can explain the problem and enlighten people about other potential problems other than just the carpet and upholstery holding the dander. Most real estate agents think you can give it a one shot cleaning and be done with it. But then again they have the same mind set when it comes to flees also.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Good Info, Bob.

Master Blend also has an anti-allergy product to spray onto HVAC filters to catch and hold dander that is in the air. This can shorten the time until all dander has been removed the the air as well as the carpets and upholstery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom