Cat Pump Rebuild?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
So my Cat 5c3p(?) pump has about 5000 hours, and it seems to be getting tired. It attains and maintains any pressure up to 1500-2000psi, but after pulling the trigger, it seems to lose a little bit of pressure.....kinda softens up....but returns to full pressure when trigger released. I've rebuilt about everything on this TM (Genesis59-2003), but never touched the Cat except for oil changes. What do you think? New cups, seals??? Oh, and no leaks.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Seal kit and since your in there, check valves. Isn't rocket science but if you damage a seal you have to buy a whole new seal kit. That's usually what happens the first time someone tries it on their own. The caveat to that is it is usually those who shouldn't be allowed to own a tool box.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
they all lose some pressure when you key the trigger...and they all go back up when you let off of it....from reading your post I am not seeing anything going wrong...its still pumping...holding good pressure....and apparently not leaking.....

if you feel the need to rebuild it...just slowly take it apart and lay out everything in the order that you pulled it off........the seals are beveled......very important that you pay attention to this and put them in the right way...when you put the head back on...you want to put the bolts back in from the center out....this way if there is a slight warp it will form to it and not leak...there is no gasket in between the pump and the head.......aside from these things to look for......... it is really easy to do..........

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
they all lose some pressure when you key the trigger...and they all go back up when you let off of it....from reading your post I am not seeing anything going wrong...its still pumping...holding good pressure....and apparently not leaking.....

if you feel the need to rebuild it...just slowly take it apart and lay out everything in the order that you pulled it off........the seals are beveled......very important that you pay attention to this and put them in the right way...when you put the head back on...you want to put the bolts back in from the center out....this way if there is a slight warp it will form to it and not leak...there is no gasket in between the pump and the head.......aside from these things to look for......... it is really easy to do..........

Jim.....I realize that the pressure drops when keying the wand.....been doing it for 35 years. It just seems that the pressure kinda drifts off a bit......trigger doesn't have the same feel. Probably tired pump seals. I can rebuild that pump!

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Worth the rebuild time and cost if even just to prevent it going down in the field. You definitely got your share of hours out of that original seal kit.

All of the above plus:

- if your pump has option to buy high temp seals, get them
- change out the valves and their orings too

Don't know if this is the exact pump - but with a bit of searching, you should be able to find a schematic

http://www.dultmeier.com/pdfs/cc5CP3120.pdf

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
It takes about an hour to rebuild a pump if you can access it easily. You sound mechanically inclined, its an easy job. 15/16 socket on the hex heads (pretty sure).

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
piece of cake, ArDub

You don't have to remove the whole pump either, just the head.

as Jim noted, pay close attention to how the seals are oriented ...don't put the new ones in upside down

.L.T.A.

Chads

Supportive Member
Check your unloader valve? , just had to replace mine.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Old thread but i'm digging threw the archives here as I am wanting to rebuild my cat pump. Any advice or part sources are appreciated.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Very easy if you have any trouble give me a call.

Would be a great time to replace rebuild your regulator/unloader at the same time.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Old thread but i'm digging threw the archives here as I am wanting to rebuild my cat pump. Any advice or part sources are appreciated.
If you can toast a Pop Tart, you can rebuild your Cat pump. Parts from Superior Cleaning Solutions, Cobb Carpet Supply, Dultmeier, etc.

Last edited:

Mrice

Name
Mat
You can also call cat pumps directly, they will help diagnose anything over the phone and let you know who sells stuff in your area.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Couldn't hurt it to rebuild. One less thing that know that's not going to break.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Just put new valve kits in mine. Fact is I probably could have gotten by with just replacing the o-rings that the valves sit on. They were toasted. Bought the kits from Dultmier it was like $110 delivered in a couple days. I didn't see the need for seal kits as it wasn't leaking water into the case or out of the pump.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Does a seal kit just come with the seals? Is their a kit that has valves and seals? I was looking at the run dry high temp seal kit. it looks like its $292. Idk that its leaking but my pressure seems to fluctuate a little and I have some larger schools coming up and I want to make sure that its working to its fullest potential.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I would first take the valves out and look at the o-rings that sit down inside. It may be all you need at this time and its easy to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom