CDS 4.8 owners...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I liked mine.........it had a few things that were a pain but all of them do........If I did not find my truck last year I would have bought another and been running 2 of them........

the newer one has a better set up then the pos pods that are under the dash hooked to the gas pedal........more of a cruse control set up if I understand it right..

some of the belts are a pain to get your hands on so you just need to make sure that you always keep one of each on hand..

the apo is a special belt for example.mine went and I search the entire town and had to wait for Interlink to open on Monday to replace it..........

the 160 degree valves are touchy but once you get use to them they are pretty easy........they bottom out when they are put on and can cause problems....

It is a good machine........reliable.......as most...

TimP

I have one of the newer ones. Bought it in October of last year. I have about 430 hours on it right now and I haven't had any problems with it. The new chevy has a drive by wire throttle no cables and it hooks into the electronics through a module. Very nice design for fuel savings etc. Anyway it has good suction and very good heat with the salsa, I can run a tile tool at 700 psi and it will sustain 215. Using a wand no problem to keep 230+. It is not a dual wand machine but there aren't really any true dual wand machines that run off of a van. If you want one of them look to vortex or aerotec. If I were to buy again I don't know if I would of bought a butler or a slide in instead, possibly in a tall sprinter so you can get in the van and stand up, although I've heard reliability problems with the sprinter. The blueline thermal wave 2 seems like a very good machine and the prochem everest. They both have bigger blowers but still I don't think they are very good for dual wanding. You may have some fuel savings running them however.
As far as the cds I've ran 200 ft of hose and it seems to do good but it leaves a bit more moisture on the ground than I'd like to but for 150 ft of hose or less the machine does fine. Do yourself a favor and get a better wand than the hydrahoe. See if you can apply the value to something else.
The main reason I didn't go with butler was because there was no local person to repair it if the need were to come. Sometimes I wonder if I would of been better off since they have better financing. If you can get their financing it makes it a good bit cheaper to buy a butler. If you have any specific questions message me and I'll try to help you out if I can.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We bought our first CDS in 81, went to them exclusively in 84. They work well for us since we don't drive the truck around to get pizza or go to the beach. We put an average of 95,000 miles and 8 to 9 thousand hours on them before we sell them to someone else that will get several years of use out of them.

Reliability is our number one concern, so that combined with the extra space in the van and the lower weight (less wear and tear on the van) make the CDS the right vehicle for us.

PS: It always strikes me as funny when guys say their giant slide-in with the 65 hp engine is more powerful than a PTO hooked to the 200+ hp of a van engine. As if that matters. :p

Mikey P

Administrator
I had about 11 of them when I was a Coity.

They were poorly maintained, installed and tweaked all around so I am not the best judge but I know enough that I would buy a Butler instead.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom