Cell phone only, no land line?

Darin

Does anybody use a cell phone only as their main phone? Thinking about dumping the land line and using only cell phone. I have the office phone forwarded to the cell anyways. Save about $75 a month by cutting land line and using cells only. Alltel tells me I can port my land line number to a cell phone so I don't lose my number that I had for 8 years. It will just ring to a cell phone instead of a land line. Any thoughts?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I got rid of my office phone and have a forwarding number only. I couldn't take a designated land line number to a cell and I don't thin you can either. What you need to do is set up a forwarding number with no serice to your house and since you can no longer fax from the office set up a trustfax.com account really cheap and excellent plus free toll free number specifically for you. When you sign up, if there is a place for it say i recommended you and I think I might get like 5 bucks off and as odin is teaching me that is 1/12 of a round of golf or 5 boxes of mac & cheezzzze

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Obviously as a larger co we have los of phone lines in all our building (T1's, ISDN- PRI's, centrex 1MB's etc..).

I did eliminate my home phone almost 6 years ago so am un-wired there. The savings paid for my broadband internet at home.

Ken

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
do you have cable internet???

switch to vonage or the like for $25 a mth, they have all kinds of features on there.... Like if the cable goes down or the vonage system, then it forwards to a number you select..like a cell phone..

and you can get a detailed call list inbound and out bound..

Darin

I do have cable internet. Vonage is not available here. I have only sent 1 fax in the last 4 years, no real need for fax service.

ShawnB

Dumped my landline about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I have a cell phone for business, my wife has a cell phone, and I have a virtual 800# for the business that I can have ring any number of cell phones or landlines at the same time...first one to pickup gets the call.

I tried Vonage, but service is poor in my area. Cancelled it.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I switched to vonage a few months ago. I am paying less than half what I was paying with bellsouth plus I have a separate fax line, that I did not have with bellsouth. Truth is I would still be with bellsouth had they not tried to screw me over on some equipment I did not order (turns out they did me a favor lol). Finally two months after canceling my service I got my credit.

Billy

Name
BH
We have one true business line with 2 Ring masters on it. We used to have 3 Business lines & 1 Home Line.

We have the Business # permanently forwarded to a cell phone.

One of the Ring Masters is a Fax # that isn't forwarded ever. The other Ring Master is a Home # that also never for-wards.

We use 2 Cell Phones for business & 1 for personal also.

This setup has saved us allot of $$$$s since we only pay around $36.00s a mth for business line now.

C

Carpet Dude

I use ultra call forward? from verizon. I dumped the land line about 5-6 years ago and kept the business number that forwards to my cell.

I know have a second business line that also forwards to the cell.

A fax land line I do have at the office....cheap.....of which I also use for local calls when I'm at the office.

randy

Name
Randy
Hi Darin, Since the Portability Act was passed phone providers can't stop you from moving a wired phone to cell phone and vise versa. If you do it I would suggest you do it during the off season, during a slow week etc, they say the switch will be seamless but there may be a few hours were you have zero phone service. Ask them before you do it. Also If you are locked in to a cell phone contract and it your phone goes bad it can be expensive to buy a replacement if you still have time on your contract. Check out the availability of referbed cell phones through resellers by goggling replacement cell phones. Perhaps you should have a replacement cell ready to switch your number to in the event it gets damaged or stolen if its your business line ? Cellular providers love to sell you a replacement phone for 3-4 times what you originally paid if you are locked into a 2 year contract and need a new phone. Replacement phones are available off the net for as little as $39.00 for most carriers. Also make sure you switch to the best cellular provider in your area.

randy

Name
Randy
Hi Darin, Since the Portability Act was passed phone providers can't stop you from moving a wired phone to cell phone and vise versa. If you do it I would suggest you do it during the off season, during a slow week etc, they say the switch will be seamless but there may be a few hours were you have zero phone service. Ask them before you do it. Also If you are locked in to a cell phone contract and it your phone goes bad it can be expensive to buy a replacement if you still have time on your contract. Check out the availability of referbed cell phones through resellers by goggling replacement cell phones. Perhaps you should have a replacement cell ready to switch your number to in the event it gets damaged or stolen if its your business line ? Cellular providers love to sell you a replacement phone for 3-4 times what you originally paid if you are locked into a 2 year contract and need a new phone. Replacement phones are available off the net for as little as $39.00 for most carriers. Also make sure you switch to the best cellular provider in your area.

The Preacher

we have our number remote call forwarded to our cell. it's a simple thing to do. call your phone co. and ask about it!!!

GRHeacock

My son Alan only has a cell- and his wife has a cell- no wires for them.

He has a Treo phone, which contains all his business, and a ton of other stuff, including a pretty good camera for a phone camera.

Gary

Darin

My office/home phone already forwards to the cell. I just leave it forwarded all the time, that way I don't forget to forward it if I shut it off, that and I'm never home anyway. I just figured may as well save a few bucks by cutting off the landline. I already have a new Motorola V710 just sitting here not being used, just activate that one. If anything happens I can forward it to my other cell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom