Ceramic Coated Exhaust

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The exhaust on my 31 Ageis Kohler runs cherry red and even with wrap on it there is a lot of radiant heat. The flexible exhaust pipe originally used became brittle and cracked and the flanges had begun to deteriorate badly from the heat.
I purchaced a new SS header and remade the rest replacing the flex pipe with a SS flex joint I purchaced from Summit Racing. Then I took it to a Classic Coatings in Sheboygan, WI and had them coat the inside and out with ceramic. Then they also put an additional coating inside which they call Race coating. I re-wrapped it all before installing and the difference is unbelievable. I can put my hand very close to the pipe now and the inside of the van is noticably cooler.
DSC00699.jpg

I also had the diverter flapper coated because the original one had begun to deteriorate as well.
DSC00701.jpg

Wrapped and installed.
Kohlerexhaust001.jpg

This last pic is actually the before.

C

Chris Sheldon

Very nice! What did it cost you to have the parts coated? Have you noticed an increase in the performance of your heat exchangers?

Is that a Power Clean unit?

-Chris

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Yes it is a PowerClean. I do believe it has increased the heat to the exchangers but I can not quantify it. Mostly I notice that the radiant heat around the pipes has been lower considerably. It cost me $120 to have all parts coated.

G

Ya, I cant remember the exhaust temps on my old hx systems,this one is an A15 nissan with just a coolant hx and a propane burner,so not that hot

Able 1

Name
Keith
Great idea Shane!! After a job I think the temp. of the van has droped 20-30 degrees.. The heat of my water has also increased alot!

Well here is my before. Check out the crack :shock: LO..cough.. L cough,cough.

016-1.jpg

Well worth getting it coated..
015.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom