Charging by the room, do you squabble?

dekare

So for those that charge by the room, let's say your price is based on a minimum square footage of 250. Do you squabble about anything over, or do you just clean and it all balances out in the end?

Chris A

Name
Chris
It depends. If a room is 280 square feet, then no, almost never. However, if its a 500 square foot family room/dining room addition, or a basement, then youbetcha. I try to be reasonable whenever possible as long as the client is the same with me.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I do like Chris.

It all evens out as long as you don't give it all away on the smaller areas.

Hold your line with a smile.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Bugging someone over 10/20 sqft, heck even 50(depends on client & work) doesn't seem worth the negative moment at times. Five extra minutes of work - big deal.

If you are going to give a discount(not charging for every single sqft), just make sure to note it on invoice. That way, they will know price they could/should have paid.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
If there is a bunch of money in the bank I will overlook more sq ft but if money is tight the laser measurer comes out. The price is listed on what it would cost so I am not sure why there ever would be a disagreement. $45 first $25 each addtl ANY ROOM over 200 will be charged for addtl sq ft.

This means if you have 3 rooms and 2 are 150 sq ft and the third is 300 they get whacked with an additional charge. I haven't gotten any squables about it. If the place was real easy I write the additional down as no extra charge

fleming234

When someone calls and wants to know the price of 3 rooms and hall. I leave myself some buffer room when pricing over the phone. I say the price is $125 to $150 depending on size of rooms and stains. When I get to the job we agree on price and it is never over the $150 price quote.

dday

Lee Stockwell said:
Human nature is for people to only recall the LOWER number cited.

That is why I always and only quote the "worst case," e.g. I can tell you that the most it could be is $180. You should be prepared to pay that much, and an exact figure will be provided before I start."

dgargan

I found people didn't like charged for any extra sq. footage and I was tired of not getting paid for all we cleaned . Years ago I went to sq foot pricing. Everything is cut and dry. It is what it is and we get paid for every sq foot we clean

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
We have been by the room since coming back 3 years ago. As I do the walkthrough I make notes on invoice such as:

1- Master Bedroom
1- Hallway and Master Dressing Room
1- Bedroom
1- Stairs
1- Living Room
1- Dining Area
3- Basement Areas
1/2- Small Hallway
Total 9.5 Areas

*I ask them what they refer to this room as, if any question
I leave this copy with them so it is perfectly clear

If doing 3 regular bedrooms and no large walk in closet I will usually charge 1/2 price for small hallway

The only time there is really an issue is in a basement area, and my wife knows full well to explain to them that most open basement areas are 2-4 Areas and that the tech will review the entire job with them before starting. We are rarely off of the quoted phone estimate

Sometimes on large sf houses we bite the bullet a little and I don't lean toward giving anything away on those homes.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Take the entire job and work out what the rooms would be...along with actual rooms.

If you have 4 rooms that are smaller than normal or going around beds and then 1 big room so 3 or 4 hundered sqft...then you can give a little.

More times than not the customer will say "this is probably considered 2 rooms right?"

Of course the customer is always right. shiteatinggrin Ivebeensold

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom