Cheap Carpet Cleaning

Lately when i am getting calls people think I am too expensive, I have been looking around the net for pricing (ie craiglist) and i cant figure out how people are cleaning for $14-$20 a room...how are they making any money?????????

Name
I'm Rick James
If you look at few months later on CL you will also see their equipment for sale. Some people are happy making $15 bucks an hour as a business owner.

Or they just clean PT.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
If you are getting price calls don't blame your prices or the prospects.

The problem is your marketing.

If you draw warm prospects with your markeing. Price will not be the determining factor to the call.

They will call you because you were refered by a co-worker a friend or from a group they belong to, or your long list of testimonials not price.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Out of pocket costs for four rooms

$1.00 per room chemicals.
4x 1.00 $4.00
Gas to get to job $6.00--used Moms Van =0

Job they gave up flipping burgers after taxes $6.00 per hour.

Two hours and four rooms x $14. = $56.00 - $4 out of pocket $52.

They just made more in two hours than a full day at flipping burgers.

?????

rick imby said:

4x 1.00 $4.00

?????

Haha True! Its just frustrating our industry is full of this and customers see just price and think thats the going rate for a GOOD cleaning

Mike Draper

rick imby said:

4x 1.00 $4.00

?????

That's a great business cost chart. I guess you don't have insurance, maintenance, a cell phone bill, advertising and marketing cost, furthering education, uniforms, employees, and all those other pesky things like a truck mount, wands, sprayers, hoses, vacuum bags, booties, an accountant etc, etc, etc..........to add to your per room price? Truth is, they may bring some money in, but its not profit. Then they go back to flipping burgers with a ton of debt on their back and a lesson learned. People will long remember a shitty job over a cheap price.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Dave Yoakum said:
If you are getting price calls don't blame your prices or the prospects.

The problem is your marketing.

If you draw warm prospects with your markeing. Price will not be the determining factor to the call.

They will call you because you were refered by a co-worker a friend or from a group they belong to, or your long list of testimonials not price.

Agreed - it's up to us to make the prospects feel as though they can't trust anyone else to do as great a job. Even at the lower end of the market there are people willing to pay more so they don't end up having to get it cleaned twice...

Ken Snow said:
Good cleaing can be done at many different price points.

Thats true...BUT at what cost (are you making a profit), what steps are you not doing, and is it a true good job? Im sorry but at 14-20 a room I dont see how you are making money with all expenses included and doing a TRUE quality job.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
blkcobra@cox.net said:
[quote="Ken Snow":262aoryi]Good cleaing can be done at many different price points.

Thats true...BUT at what cost (are you making a profit), what steps are you not doing, and is it a true good job? Im sorry but at 14-20 a room I dont see how you are making money with all expenses included and doing a TRUE quality job.[/quote:262aoryi]

Let the custy prevac before you get there, Better they do it then to pay you to do it.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
everfresh1 said:
blkcobra@cox.net said:
[quote="Ken Snow":3uxcs0pe]Good cleaing can be done at many different price points.

Thats true...BUT at what cost (are you making a profit), what steps are you not doing, and is it a true good job? Im sorry but at 14-20 a room I dont see how you are making money with all expenses included and doing a TRUE quality job.

Let the custy prevac before you get there, Better they do it then to pay you to do it.[/quote:3uxcs0pe]

Custy prevac......most don't know how to vac properly.

So many times I am told "I just vacuumed" and then I fill up my momentum 3 times in 2 rooms....

So if the custy prevacs and you just go ahead and steamclean it, what do you think happens to all the crap that was in the carpet.

Either you are lucky and removed enough with your wand or maybe you will be facing some nice wickbacks.

So who's fault is that going to be when the carpet looks like crap after a day or two?

Custys don't really get the idea of wickback and proper dry soil removal..

What they will see is they paid you and the carpet looks like crap and feels like crap.

What do you think will be told to their friends and neighbours and family members about you?

Even if you try to explain it before hand, they will think its your fault that the carpets don't look good.

My thoughts.....

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
A lot of cleaners here in Atlanta give the low price, and "upsell" everything else you need.
They learned from some of the bigger companies in my area do this successfully... and their X- cleaners do the same when they go out on their own.
Vacuuming is extra, spotting is extra, pre conditioning is extra, deodorizer is extra, stain removal is extra, detergent or rinse agents extra, sanitizer extra, carpet protector extra, dual process cleaning for heavily soiled areas extra etc.
The "basic" price is the leader, then they hook you and reel you in..."let the buyer beware".

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
captaincarpet said:
A lot of cleaners here in Atlanta give the low price, and "upsell" everything else you need.
They learned from some of the bigger companies in my area do this successfully... and their X- cleaners do the same when they go out on their own.
Vacuuming is extra, spotting is extra, pre conditioning is extra, deodorizer is extra, stain removal is extra, detergent or rinse agents extra, sanitizer extra, carpet protector extra, dual process cleaning for heavily soiled areas extra etc.
The "basic" price is the leader, then they hook you and reel you in..."let the buyer beware".

Classic case of:
Bait&switch.....

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
blkcobra@cox.net said:
i cant figure out how people are cleaning for $14-$20 a room...how are they making any money?????????

BAIT AND SWITCH BABY!

If you watch Craigslist for a few more weeks you will likely see warnings about getting riped off form the same company.

I see from you profile you are 1 year into your business. It really takes 3 years on average to build a solid customer base. When you get repeat or referral calls their question will be when you can come, not how much. Hang in there and when you aren’t cleaning just go talk to people and give them a business card.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
Hang in there and when you aren’t cleaning just go talk to people and give them a business card.

welll said Mike, the best thing you can do is not worry about their price. hard not to but preform quality cleaning and you will improve and the word gets around. and try not to compromise on price! stick to your guns and provide quality cleaning. Serve, Serve, Serve!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
blkcobra@cox.net said:
Lately when i am getting calls people think I am too expensive, I have been looking around the net for pricing (ie craiglist) and i cant figure out how people are cleaning for $14-$20 a room...how are they making any money?????????

Keep doing the job you know you should do, explain the difference to the people that think you are too expensive, do your marketing, and people will call. When I raised my price I got lots of people thinking I was too expensive, but the next call they didn't even ask price, and then another would say "Is that all?"

As my friend was giving a quote, he overheard the wife in the kitchen say "he's really expensive", then the husband said "compared to what?". My friend has used that comment a lot since. I sell the "clean" not the "pretend to clean"; not everyone will hire me but then I don't need "everyone", and if they aren't happy with the $14-$20 guy, they'll call and be happy to pay a higher price because NOW they KNOW the difference.

TimP

Since the economy tanked I've been offering lower priced cleaning to those who object to my pricing. Like stated above, they vacuum, I don't move furniture, and have a 200 sq ft per room max. A simple prespray and rinse is all they get. I get in and out much faster, the client is happy, I'm happy because I still make good money. Also I get a client I wouldn't of had, and the way things are I don't want to let anyone slip through as long as I can still make money. There are ways to keep/get the client. However I must also say that it helps that Stanley Steamer has moved to a $150.00 minimum in my area so my prices look good for those only want a few rooms done. I haven't had to stoop to 14 a room. But 20 a room isn't below me for bedrooms. And for living rooms many of those would bill at 2 rooms, I usually bill lr's at my regular rate if I'm moving furniture. It's not hard if you're moving fast enough that you can still make 80-100 an hour drive up to drive off.

kevenlee696

You may be assukme that this is the starting of their business after some times they continously het projects may then they will incraese their service cost. You just research on the prices on the internet and make you services prices according to competitor cost.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am a lower priced cleaner and outclean most of not all with my standard service

Name
Danny Strickland
Mike Draper said:
[quote="rick imby":1etdc066]Out of pocket costs for four rooms

4x 1.00 $4.00

?????

That's a great business cost chart. I guess you don't have insurance, maintenance, a cell phone bill, advertising and marketing cost, furthering education, uniforms, employees, and all those other pesky things like a truck mount, wands, sprayers, hoses, vacuum bags, booties, an accountant etc, etc, etc..........to add to your per room price? Truth is, they may bring some money in, but its not profit. Then they go back to flipping burgers with a ton of debt on their back and a lesson learned. People will long remember a shitty job over a cheap price.[/quote:1etdc066]

my costs are about 900 per month (all stuff paid for) that includes 10% for Murphy in case he shows up!!!

i do all VLM and call in a TM for the piss/crap covered ones!

48 jobs per month = $18.75 per day to cover my costs so 1 room per day @$20 a room isn't a bad deal!

if your biz isn't loaded with debt, this can be a good money maker!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
My monthly costs run between $7-12000 still trying to get a final number because it is running a short average to be an actual.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom