Chemistry Expert Needed

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
I was just reading the odor encapsulation thread and it got me thinking.

What is in the pixie juice or pads of Swiffer?
There is something in this products that ruins VCT finishes and leaves a funky film on most floors. I see the grunge tracked onto light colored carpet and it leaves a nasty residue wherever it's used. I'm sure it doesn't help that the dirt is mixed in with it as I don't think things get clean.
What is the best way to counter this chemical?

Tom Forsythe

I watched my wife use the swiffer to learn a lesson in science. She was amazed for awhile until she saw that the floor was gradually getting dirtier. She finally concluded that my products were better with a schmop. I explained that too much chemical was being used for the amount of dirt and the absorbency of micro-fiber pad. Chemical solutions used in this way have to be designed so that any residues will not attract soils. The swiffer dry microfiber pads are great as they attract soil, but adding the chemical leaves residues that attract soil that are not easily removed with the dry swiffer pads.

Name
Jeff T
I could be wrong, but someone told me that there was silicone in the swifter juice. They use it to make the floor shiny.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
We normally use it once a week. And we keep our house clean. One mop head covers roughly 1,000 sq ft (maybe just a little less) with no problem at all. But like I said, we keep our house clean, so we're not trying to push it through a pigsty. And no, it doesn't smear the dirt around. In fact, it cleans exceptionally well.

We do use the aftermarket mop heads, which I like better than the ones that come with the machine.
Amazon product

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
We vacuum first with the Hoover Portapower and then hit the floors with the Shark Professional. Clean, simple, no chems required.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom