Chevy 2500 V-6?

WISE

Welp,

My ole faithful 98 Chevy van died finally...not really upset at all. 300k miles and basically no problems-put 2 fuel pumps, and 2 radiators in it. Ran like a champ. Now low compression, so she is out to pasture.

Anyway, would a 2500 series with the 4.7 V-6 be suitable to handle the equipment, water tank, waste tank etc.?

Thanks

WISE

WISE

I'm mounting a Boxxer 421, reels, and tanks in the new (used, new to me) van--looking at two chevy 2500's; one has a 4.7 6cyl the other the 5.7 v8. Both are exactly the same otherwise.
The van the equipment is in now, the 98 with 300k miles, is basically wothless, IMO--other than some parts I guess.

Thanks

WISE

Rambo

Michael, You'll never be happy with the V6, I've had both, Now have a 2004 5.7V8 very strong engine, 85000 now No trouble yet 14 to 15 mpg Put on a new set of tires at 60000 miles, no brakes yet. The 2500 has a heavier trans, raidator, brakes, shocks etc Much better buy IMHO

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
just remember the more cyinders the more the wear and tear is spread out. you will likley have to floor the v-6 with a full load to get up a good hill. my buddy has one and its a little doggie with a load. if you have to rev the v-6 up to 3000rpm to get what a v-8 wil get at 2000 what do you think will last longer. and yes i am a chevy manie

how many ford fiestas do you see running around with 250,000 miles on them?
i have seen 6 350's with at least that. (with minimal trouble)
but never a ford fiesta with over 160,000

Bob Foster

That's too much humping for that 6. You will likely get better fuel economy out of the 8 in a loaded truck.

Dolly

Just yesterday, I finally made the decision to add another truck to my business as I now have two employees.

It is a chevy cargo van.........BRAND NEW!!!!!!!!!and when I go to San Antonio, I am getting another Trailer to go with me back home...........

Pretty exciting..............Got a great price.........Dealer came down almost $5000.00

I look to have it for many years to come...........

Hope all is going great for everyone.........

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 1 ton 3500 with a 350 V8 in it if you are going to haul a slide in and fresh water.

Name
R.J. Povio
I would go with at least a 250 or 2500 series van with any kind of carpet cleaning equipment. A small V-8 will do just fine....4.6 ford or 4.8 chevy. If you intend on putting a dual wand machine with more hoses, fresh water, and waste water then a 350 or 3500 series van with either a 5.4 ford 5.3 chevy or 6.0 chevy. A 1 ton (350/3500) van will last way longer than any half or 3/4 ton van. If you are planning to have the van for 7-10 years....go heavy/super duty. If trading or leasing to return every 2-4 yrs go lighter duty.

Our 2 half ton fords e150's need brakes and tires every 20-30k miles. Our 1 ton ford didn't need brakes until almost 70k, the tires lasted about 40-50k. The one ton handles better around turns, and steers more stable going down the road. I almost think the one ton rides a little better when all loaded up.

On ebay if you type in 2007 ford e250 in the ebay motors area you will see 7-10 used vans. All are white 3/4 ton....double doors instead of sliding door...pwr wind,locks,cruise,tilt,a/c running boards, heavy duty rubber floor in cargo area, 4.10 rear end with a 4.6 liter v-8. That 4.6 with a small to mid sized carpet machine does really well on gas, and has decent power. The prices range from 13k to 16k. Miles range from 3-10k miles. Thats over 10 grand savings from MSRP.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I think once you load up a v6 it will still wind up getting the same mileage as the v8 does. so don't look to the v6 to save any fuel once its loaded down fully

WISE

I went to my buddy's car lot today to check out both vans.
Still don't know which one I am going to put the tm in, but I bought em both.
Both identical 2500's other than 6 cyl vs 8cyl.

I want to put the tm in the 6cyl so I can use the 8cyl to haul heavy materials like carpet rolls, wood, and tile. And also a loaded down enclosed trailer....when I finally ever get one!!!

I can tell no difference driving the two, other than the obvious power/acceleration of the v8 truck. We don't have hills here at sea level; we do have a few bridges that would drag on a loaded truck. Fuel consumption prolly close with a fully loaded 6 vs the 8 with a lil power to spare.

Who knows...my biggest problem now is getting the equipment in one of em asap!!!

Thanks
WISE

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
my last van was a V6, not much power on some hills but other then that it was fine, I had a heavier machine in mine also

due to the heavier equipment I had a few mechanical issues due to added heat from the motor but not sure a V8 would have helped with all the crap I would sometimes put in a cargo van

I think extended 1 ton is the only way to go

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom