Chinese Sheepskin - a penny for your thoughts!

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
I have a Chinese sheepskin full of chocolate milk to clean. Yummy. It's not at all like the flokatis I've cleaned in the past. It's full of static, more like a cheap acrylic rug. When I burn tested it, it burns orange, sputters, but at times it will not self extinguish and the whole darn sample will burn up. The ash is black and does crumble. I thought I'd run it by some more experienced folks before I tackled it.

Ron K

Jeff where you took the picture of the label looks almost quilted. Not natural/ manmade. When you scratch the back with you finger nail does it react like Leather ?

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Jeff where you took the picture of the label looks almost quilted. Not natural/ manmade. When you scratch the back with you finger nail does it react like Leather ?

It's a solid fabric backing with a quilt-like stitching pattern.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Apparently they make "faux" sheepskin rugs. This rug is labeled as 100% sheepskin, but it sure acts more like modacrylic. Barring construction concerns, it should be washable.

"Similarly, our faux sheepskin rugs are crafted to look just as beautiful as our genuine sheepskins. They’re easy-care and washable, made from Modacrylic yarns and finished to emulate natural mountain sheepskin rugs. Use them in any room, just as you would a genuine sheepskin, for a pretty accent on hardwood or tile floors."

Ron K

It's a solid fabric backing with a quilt-like stitching pattern.

Can you peek under that "quilting"? It might be a Faux Sheepskin. Look down deep in the base of the fibers.... do you see....what....? It's either skin o sheep or some king of backing. The fabric back could just be hiding where they put smaller pelts together to make one bigger one.

Wash it.

Also don't see a "Woolmark"

Last edited:
Name
Murray Peacock
Just washed a real sheep skin today and it came out beautiful. Extracting it is ok, but washing gets all the way through the rug where the chocolate milk resides. The real deal has many more issues to be concerned about, especially how the skin turns out. Yours, being cotton will wash very nicely. Just dry it fast.
peacockrugcare.ca

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom