Chintz

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
What is Chintz/Cotton Chintz & how would clean it ?

Whats the biggest issue when dealing with this fabric ?

The finish!!

I imagine you want extremely low aggitation. Can you clean by hand with soft cloths and foam? SA might be a good one to assist here.

John

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Easy to clean, hard to clean without removing the finish.

The finish is not very durable, wears over time but removes easily with wet cleaning methods.

Many times the arms and head rest are soiled, disguising the fact that the finish is already removed in those areas.

Be sure to explain there is a good chance of finish difference PRIOR to cleaning or you will be accused of causing the change.

Chintz SEE Chintzy as in LUDDY! :p

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The chintz finish is usually a water soluble starch, sometimes a wax, that is applied and calendered(pressure/heat rolled).

Wet cleaning usually removes the finish, leaving the fabric without it's characteristic sheen. Dry cleaning methods will help some to preserve the starch type, but still will remove the wax type, which can be difficult to discern. The fabric was simply not designed with cleaning in mind.

I've heard Joey Pickett speak of applying spray starch to partially mimic the original finish. But i don't recall whether he explained a particular method, or was simply commenting that it is something others do or try.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Murray Cremer former Kleenrite Owner/Instructor back when he was alive taught a mixture in his classes which was spray applied.

I tried it several times and never did get it to work. A few years later when Wally Weber was teaching the class it was no longer taught.

I've not seen spray starch leave the same sheen as the original process.

Pre-inspect and educate before you clean!!!

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Chintz
Description:
A firm, closely woven , plain weave fabric with hard twisted warp yarns and coarser, slackly twisted filling yarns. The fabric is often printed with gay figures and large flowers on a solid, light background. It can be made from cotton, polyester, rayon,or blends. The surface is glazed with a highly lusterous sheen applied by one of two methods.
1) A nondurable glaze of wax and starch is applied by the use of friction or hot calendars (rollers), or
2) A durable glaze of urea or melamine resin can be applied and cured.

Cleaning Characteristics:
Noddurable finishes will wash out in wet cleaning. Chintz with nondurable finishes should therefore be dry cleaned, although the finishes on older fabrics mey be removed in dry cleaning. These should always be pretested. Fabrics with durable finishes can be wet or dry cleaned, but wet cleaning is the preferred method.The finish on Chintz gives some wrinkle resistance and soil and spot resistance. Sometimes, when the finish is applied too heavily,the fabric develops white streaks when bent or flexed during cleaning. This condition cannot be remedied. Other problems may occour with the dyes. The printed patterns may fade or rub off by crocking. Dark colors may bleed or run into the light background areas; heavy print colors must be pretested for colorfastness.

Quoted from: ASCR Ready Reference Upholstery Guide, this thing even has over 35 fabric swatches to make fabric identification easier.

P.S. For the spray starch to sheen better you need to use wax paper and an iron.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dry cleaning fluid usually has a charge in it which contains some H2O so that maybe why even dry cleaning fluid will take some of the sheen off.

Hey Thomas!
Have you had a success with the was paper method?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
BTW, your test method to see if the finish has already been removed is to take a few drops of water and see if they roll off ie finish is still present or absorb ie finish has been removed. Obviously like already stated, the heavy wear areas will probably have the finish worn away.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
The only think I know about it is, its a "painted fabric" that is used to make dresses, drapery, and curtains and a few others.

It's not painted. It's dyed. Now you know nothing about chintz. LOL

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
We did 2 chairs back in the early 90's with the wax paper and niagra spray starch to "fix" them after a tech steamed them. It actually worked fairly well, the customer accepted them and was happy. We had to bring them back to the shop to do the repairs, and we used a few coats of starch.
It was a real PITA but we had no choice but to try or buy the customer new chairs and the boss didn't want to buy them...

-JB-

Name
JB
Great tip!

Not that 99.9% of us will ever need it! But, knowledge is power.

Ya never know what ya don't know till ya know it, ya know? :? :shock:

John Watson

Hey Chavez, In the 3 classes of Wally's I took, He was always talking about this so we renamed it, don't you remember Wally mist???

I have been trying to remember Wallys name for the past couple of months, Thanks, Last I heard he still did some cleaning in the LV area, Never did see him at any of the connections though.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It was a mixture of glycerin and alcohol, too uneven when applied and when you tried to smooth it out with a towel it scratched the finish.

I have never heard of the wax paper method, but I'd rather not have to try it out either. We screw up enough things without adding this to our list. :wink:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's pretty common with floral prints. I've also seen a lot of Throw Pillows brought in over the years that were Chintz.

It has a smooth shiny sheen that makes it recognizable.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Walrus said:
Anybody have pics of this fabric?

Sorry Jimmy- I forgot they don't have chintz in Nebraska. You must really feel out of place right now, eh?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
hrow Pillows brought in over the years that were Chintz.

It has a smooth shiny sheen that makes it recognizable.[/quote]

You can find an inconspicuous spot on the piece (usually the zippered edge of a cushion) and mist on your prespray and towel off the shiny coating .

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Chintz, glazed cotton and polished cotton are terms describing the same look: a cotton print with a coating that gives the fabric a shine. It also makes a very inexpensive fabric more expensive.

If you can get any information on the fabric it might help. American made glazed cotton is usually the polymer coating and is usually durable through several wet cleanings. The far more expensive Italian polished cotton is usually a food starch and will come off with wear and clean off very easily if water is used. Wax glazes on fabric are soil attracting badness and should be burned.

I'm not sure what you guys were spraying to put the shine back, but any spray starch can be used. The key is to polish it with a hand held spin-bonnet. A combination of pressure and friction heat makes the shine. Usually by the time the glaze is gone so is most of the life of the fabric, so fixing the shine is like waxing a rusty mailbox.

Jose Smith

Chintz is an older fabric that is not as common as it was 10-15 years ago. It is a printed cotton with a sizing applied to give it body and a gloss applied to give it an extra glossy sheen.

The gloss can easily be removed, so pre-qualify this first. Reappliying it is possible. The name of the product escapes me now, however I can find it if needed.

The sizing is another isssue. If the sizing is soluble in the medium you use, removing this can be near impossible.

I have been trying to remember Wallys name for the past couple of months, Thanks, Last I heard he still did some cleaning in the LV area, Never did see him at any of the connections though.

As I understand it, Wally is long out of the cleaning business and is doing other business ventures. The Wally Mist I recall was more of a fabric softener.

Jose Smith

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
chintz sure was popular with the interior designers back in the 80's and early 90's.
most customers who own upholstery made of this material tend not to want to clean them as they know finish may come off.
as byran says above some can be wet cleaned many times, again test, and test again

A light shampoo method if material is lighty soiled will usually work also

Byran - great tip about the spin bonnet for finishing the wax.

Terry

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Terry, for finishing the starch.

The waxed glazes I've seen have been soil attractors. Unless there's somethig available that would harden like an acrylic and still allow the fabric to feel like fabric?

Name
Steve Lawrence
We clean them with dry cleaning sponges to avoid messing up the finish. Works well for lightly soiled chintz only.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom