Cimex Clyclone

Fresh&Clean

Ok, I just bought the Cimex Cyclone. Seems pretty simple to use. I was trying to get an idea of how much per square foot to charge for this service. When I clean commercial carpet with HWE, I usually charge between .20 and .25. I was told my costs would be roughly .3 to .4 cents a square foot to clean. Thanks for any help.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Depends on the square footage and you target dollars per hour. I have some huge accts that get cleaned for $.085 and some smaller ones that get cleaned for $0.30. Oddly enough I make about he same $ per hour. It's a sliding scale...

Name
Lee Stockwell
You moved a decimal place there Jeremy.

You may have meant from 8.5 cents to 30 cents per square foot?

That would be $0.085 to $0.30 psf.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
No, the comma moved not the decimal point. One is a tiny 400 ft office and one is a large 35,000 sq ft furniture store... Economies of scale come into play.

Oh wait... You're right Lee. Edited :!: :oops: :!:

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
First of all - WELCOME to the world of Encapping with a Cimex machine!

I agree with Jeremy about the sliding scale. That's how I have always priced commercial work.

WIth the Cimex we have honestly made excellent money even at the LOW end. For example I first discovered the Cimex/Encap combination when we were doing a lot of sub-contract work for National Subcontract companies. My background had always been heavily in retail stores. And during the past 20 years that sector has pretty much entirely moved to National Subcontract companies. And the one I was doing a lot of work for paid .05 per sq ft. Picture that! Trying to make money at a nickel a foot.

The Cimex/Encap system made it possible to achieve a nice profit even when we were forced to work for peanuts for the MMM's Maintenance Management Mafia companies. The Cimex enabled us to clean retail stores at a consistent rate of 2,000 - 3,000 sq ft per hour. So even when we were working at the ridiculously low rate of .05 per sq ft - we could still generate $100-$150 per hour.

OK so how does the sliding scale approach work? To start with - the MMM's generally charge .07 for the huge national accounts (so there's no reason to ever go lower- even for the largest accounts). A really big and really promising accounts that get very frequent service may dip as low as .08 per sq ft. On the other end of the scale... A really small, problematic, infrequent account would be in the high 20's per sq ft.

When I go in to look at a new account I will first EVALUATE the carpet and the building (carpet, wear, cleaning cycle, spot removal, vacuum cleaners, mats, exterior, etc). As I perform the Carpet Inspection it opens up a dialogue with the prospect. This gives the person an opportunity to get to know me. And it gives me a good feel for what they need. Now I'm ready to measure the carpet and give them a proposal. THe information I have gained from my inspection puts me in a position to determine what price per sq ft to charge them.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Feel free to contact me to learn more. I've been doing this for a few years :)

P.S. http://www.EncapBoard.com has a lot of information specifically related to commercial carpet cleaning, marketing, encap cleaning, Cimex usage, etc. so you might want to check that out too. Use the SEARCH feature.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
encapman said:
When I go in to look at a new account I will first EVALUATE the carpet and the building (carpet, wear, cleaning cycle, spot removal, vacuum cleaners, mats, exterior, etc). As I perform the Carpet Inspection it opens up a dialogue with the prospect. This gives the person an opportunity to get to know me. And it gives me a good feel for what they need. Now I'm ready to measure the carpet and give them a proposal. THe information I have gained from my inspection puts me in a position to determine what price per sq ft to charge them...
Rick isn't just blowing smoke here. Nobody knows more about the commercial market than he does.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I actually developed a one page Commercial Carpet Analysis form that helped our company with the pre-inspection that Rick refers to above. There is something almost magical about "interviewing" your prospect using a CLIPBOARD because it gains respect for you and the process when you morph into a consultant instead of just a "hungry rug-sucker"! :) Here is the form if anyone wants it:

http://sfs.jondon.com/1972/resources/pa ... t-analysis

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Rick's site has a ton of information for Cimex users... Steve does a seminar called Strategies for Success... Both are well worth checking out. Although I think SFS is geared more towards a residential carpet cleaning company, commercial services are touched on (roughly 2 hours in 5 days) and the concepts transfer with slight modification.

Anyway, congrats on your new machine... You'll like it. Did you get brushes or pad drivers?

Bucey

Name
FFA?
rick can you tell me why it seems i have a difficult time getting a good foam to form when using the gray pads? dont really have that problem with the beige

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
No - that's a weird one. I've never heard of that or experienced it personally either. You've got me stumped on that one. The foaming should be the same.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
some food for thought on pricing, by the late Dick Ragan.

the_going_price_Dick_Ragan.jpg

Bucey

Name
FFA?
that is great! I just saved and printed that out. Never could have been said more clearly.

Back
Top Bottom