Citrus test

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
So this evening I was bored and decided to do a test based on a video I watched the other night. Something I knew but didn't ever test with whats currently in my truck. What you are seeing is a double shot glass filled mostly with filtered water from my refrigerator and then a tablespoon of the citrus you see behind it. I shook them both and set them down and watched. I then added 1 more tablespoon to the one on the left only to better show the results and repeated the process and took the picture 30 seconds after setting them down.

View attachment 1771

guess I know which one will be going in the hydroforce and it stayed mixed. The other will be used as a spotter.

What do you use for hydroforce or spotter?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm guessing you liked the one on the left better, but I don't see anything wrong with either. So what if one is white and the other is clear?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dan;

The reason the Citrus Solv on the left does not stay mixed is . . .

because it is 100% d Limonene solvent (which does NOT mix with water).

Pour each of them on a grease-coated hard surface at an angle,

and you will see much better performance from the Dynachem Citrus Solv.

Also, the odor profile will be better from our product.

Testing is a good way to differentiate products . . .

but the proper test is for Cleaning Ability.

Thanks;

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: boazcan

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Dan;

The reason the Citrus Solv on the left does not stay mixed is . . .

because it is 100% d Limonene solvent (which does NOT mix with water).

Pour each of them on a grease-coated hard surface at an angle,

and you will see much better performance from the Dynachem Citrus Solv.

Also, the odor profile will be better from our product.

Testing is a good way to differentiate products . . .

but the proper test is Cleaning Ability.

Thanks;

Larry

i will do that this weekend and try to get pictures up. I can see they are both good products designed for different applications.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I ran another simple test but dont have pictures to show but the results I will share:

I have a bottle of Anti-Seize sitting on the shelf with some heavy residue on the top. I used a paper towel and soaked it with each Citrus, held on the bottle for 10 seconds and then wiped only once. The left citrus removed a good portion of the grease while the right one removed only a minimal amout. I then used the left Citrus to reclean where the right Citrus was used and got better results.

I will say Larry is correct that the left cleaner smells WAY better.

The left Citrus seems to work better to me as a spotter while the one on the right seems to be the better mixable booster for pre spray. Both products are listed as d-limonene products.

Reactions: Larry Cobb

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Mixedrite has the best citric........been using nothing but that for years....very very concentrated......little bit goes a long way ...and stays consistent threw out the mix.....

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Mixedrite has the best citric........been using nothing but that for years....very very concentrated......little bit goes a long way ...and stays consistent threw out the mix.....

I was going to see about getting some and running the same test. I would also like to get some from Magic Wand. My goal is to see which mixes best in hydroforce and which is the best grease cutter straight. I'm not out to beat up on any manufacture but to show how products with same name or ingredient are different in use. My test will also only include product from suppliers that contribute to this board, Superior Cleaning Solution, JonDon, Cobb Carpet and Magic Wand. Did I miss any?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I ran another simple test but don't have pictures to show but the results I will share:

I have a bottle of Anti-Seize sitting on the shelf with some heavy residue on the top. I used a paper towel and soaked it with each Citrus, held on the bottle for 10 seconds and then wiped only once. The left citrus removed a good portion of the grease while the right one removed only a minimal amount. I then used the left Citrus to reclean where the right Citrus was used and got better results.

I will say Larry is correct that the left cleaner smells WAY better.

The left Citrus seems to work better to me as a spotter while the one on the right seems to be the better mixable booster for pre spray. Both products are listed as d-limonene products.

Just a little info on typical "Citrus Products".

Active citrus solvent ingredient is d'Limonene.

d'Limonene is not soluble in water.

Some manufacturers mix citrus solvent, with less expensive solvents for less cost.

Some manufacturers add surfactants to their blends to keep the solvent emulsified in water
(gives white emulsion).

Disadvantage to this is much more sticky residue, when the "citrus solvent blend" evaporates.

Test the residue left on all the samples. Pricing is also an important Factor.

Thanks for doing the testing.

It shows that you care about the products you are using.

Larry

P.S. A good prespray should keep the d'Limonene solvent mixed @ 2oz per inline sprayer container.

Last edited:

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan

Some manufacturers mix citrus solvent, with less expensive solvents for less cost.

Some manufacturers add surfactants to their blends to keep the solvent emulsified in water
(gives white emulsion).

Disadvantage to this is much more sticky residue, when the "citrus solvent blend" evaporates.

Test the residue left on all the samples. Pricing is also an important Factor.

Thanks for doing the testing.

It shows that you care about the products you are using.

Larry

P.S. A good prespray should keep the d'Limonene solvent mixed @ 2oz per inline sprayer container.

thats the way I was planning on breaking it down. I will also break it down as a spotter and as a hydroforce booster.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Tomorrow I will be contacting Superior Cleaning Solutions and Magic Wand for citrus samples to conduct my test. Anyone else I should ad into this mix please let me know. I already have Cobbs and Jondons here.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Tomorrow I will be contacting Superior Cleaning Solutions and Magic Wand for citrus samples to conduct my test. Anyone else I should ad into this mix please let me know. I already have Cobbs and Jondons here.

You may want to also test the Original Citrus Solv from Bridgepoint. 100% solvent. No fillers. 100% active ingredient.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

(gives white emulsion).

In regards to wanting to add d'limonene to a prespray as a booster, do most presprays have sufficient surfactant to keep the 100% solvent emulsified if added as a booster??

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
In regards to wanting to add d'limonene to a prespray as a booster, do most presprays have sufficient surfactant to keep the 100% solvent emulsified if added as a booster??

Part of the test is going to be how well the citrus mixes in water. I may do a prespray too.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Magic Wand has sent me a sample of CitraPure. This is looking up to be a great test. I also believe Mixed-Rite is sending me Ultra Citra Boost but I won't be able to confirm until tomorrow.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

This may be a dumb question-but I always wondered it when I was the Technical Director @ a +1000 employee company, and who tested their chemicals. At the time (pre1997) I did not find a DLimonene that did not leave a sticky residue. So how does dLimonene rince off if it des not mix in water?

Sincerely,
Dale

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
For what it's worth there are many of us who never use citrus boosters. Just a thought so that someone coming on here thinking that they must get some of this stuff. It causes as many problems as it solves.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Hi guys:

This may be a dumb question-but I always wondered it when I was the Technical Director @ a +1000 employee company, and who tested their chemicals. At the time (pre1997) I did not find a DLimonene that did not leave a sticky residue. So how does dLimonene rince off if it des not mix in water?

Sincerely,
Dale

thats some of what I hope to figure out. The residue test may be the most difficult. Since 1997 technology has come a long way.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
For what it's worth there are many of us who never use citrus boosters. Just a thought so that someone coming on here thinking that they must get some of this stuff. It causes as many problems as it solves.

I'm going to take a guess that more guys have some sort of citrus on there truck than those who don't. It is not an everyday item of use but useful to have when needed. As all chemicals we use take the good it does with the bad it causes. That is why I am doing this. Lets see what each manufactures is doing. And if anyone was new stocking up a truck I'm pretty sure citrus is going to hit the ad to truck radar. It's kinda like having prespray and a spotting kit.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
This thread is showing that it is the addition of a surfactant that keeps the solvent emulsified and easier to rinse. Ass-u-ming that your average prespray contains enough surfactant to keep the additional solvent soluble, it does not seem using d'l as a booster should cause a residue issue. A guess a simple test would be to add it to your sprayer with your prespray of choice, and check the surface after a while for separated pockets of solvent.

Is it safe to assume all presprays contain a surfactant?
Is it possible to add too much solvent as a booster that the available surfactant in a particular prespray is overloaded and cannot break down all the solvent load completely....which THEN may lead to a residue issue??
User error??

I CAN see how using straight solvent as a spotter may cause a residue issue, but I would think most experienced cleaners understand that a more aggressive rinse easialy solves that problem.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I'm going to take a guess that more guys have some sort of citrus on there truck than those who don't. It is not an everyday item of use but useful to have when needed.

I use Citrus Solvent almost everyday for spotting.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Hi guys:

This may be a dumb question-but I always wondered it when I was the Technical Director @ a +1000 employee company, and who tested their chemicals. At the time (pre1997) I did not find a DLimonene that did not leave a sticky residue. So how does dLimonene rince off if it does not mix in water?

Sincerely,
Dale

That is a good question, Dale.

Good d'Limonene has less than 1% residue from the solvent.

Most "emulsifiable citrus solvents" add 10% or more surfactant residue.

Which one would you like to be responsible for . . . on a spotting only job?

Dynachem Citrus Solv is under 1% residue.

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/inde...t&search_in_description=1&keyword=citrus-solv

Actually, we prefer our Dynachem POG for most spotting.

It removes more oily stains, evaporates much quicker, and costs less.

It also eliminates the need for a gel that limits penetration.

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/inde...cription=1&keyword=Paint+Oil+&+Grease+Remover

Larry

Last edited:

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Volatile
<o:p></o>
Hi Larry:

That makes sense. Like I say-I am way behind as a Cleaner-Technical Director. Back then, how I started the test was to order an MSDS sheet and check out the %"volatile". So is that where I would see the 1 vs 10% difference? Next I would mix some of the chemical according to manufactures specs and swish it around in a clear glass-then pour it out and let the glass dry. Then I’d pour in babypowders and swish it around, and see what stuck to the residue. Please can I see the results on this one-if someone is really going to do independent testing?

Sincerely,
Dale

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
That is a good question, Dale.

Good d'Limonene has less than 1% residue from the solvent.

Most "emulsifiable citrus solvents" add 10% or more surfactant residue.

Which one would you like to be responsible for . . . on a spotting only job?

Dynachem Citrus Solv is under 1% residue.

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/inde...t&search_in_description=1&keyword=citrus-solv

Actually, we prefer our Dynachem POG for most spotting.

It removes more oily stains, evaporates much quicker, and costs less.

It also eliminates the need for a gel that limits penetration.

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/inde...cription=1&keyword=Paint+Oil+&+Grease+Remover

Larry

I was under the impression that the more soluble a product is....the EASIER it would be to rinse away with water....yet the product used to make it more soluble is the component that is harder to rinse??

Lint Basket

Name
Scott Mckay
I know a guy in my area who's been cleaning for 20 plus years that pre-sprays about 1/5th hydroforce with citrus and the rest with water, and extracts with Fiber Plus. You would think residue but it works and I have many customers who switch back and forth thru the years and he has no residue issues. Dude used to clean my carpets before I got in the Business 11 years ago. Now if I quit the Biz. I wouldn't want all that in my carpet but it works.

I extract with water only, as to rinse out everything. Pre-spray and scrub then Rinse-Extract. I do spot with citrus all day long, great spotter just have to rinse REAL GOOD... I'm gonna get me some Cobs Citrus I have never tried it before. I do use Cobs POG and LOVE POWERMAX PRE-SPRAY...

Back
Top Bottom