cleaned tile in a abused bbq joint.need some advise pics

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
this places has not been cleaned in about 10 yrs..i really am not sure why i even took the job??
i used strong mixed powermax with a full scoop of powerburst..brushed with a 175 using the 3m grout
brush ring and then followed up with the hand brushing..it looked better but i still have what looks like
grease pushing through the grout..it looks good then after a little time it gets coated again, by little
time i mean less than a hr.
also the tile has a whitish haze in some areas..i am going to meet up with them on tues but i am sure
the hazing is wear in the tile itself..only thing ever done in the past was a hot mop this was the first
"real cleaning" it has ever had.
anything else i could/should do?? also am i right about the hazing?
thanks

using a turbo at 1k psi and the truck (butler) was reading 220 at the truck

this is a close up after 2 cleanings..same night
100_0058.jpg

100_0057.jpg

this is the white haze i am talking about..the before and after
i can imagine them dragging things on the floor makes for some nice marks as well..
i love what shows up after it is cleaned then it is something you did..not because it was so dirty
that you couldnt see it before

100_0054.jpg

100_0064.jpg

Ernie G

Thats frustrating, after you work so hard and your not satisfied, that floor is badly worn.

C

clean image

i would try stronger degreaser-cleaners

follow by acid wash

have you been to Crown in Jax? Try King cobra and home run

yea, this is not the easiest fruit to pick,

Carl

Mikey P

Administrator
The white haze is efflorescence.

It's not going to go away as long as you or they continue to get the floor wet. It's mostly calcium and a few other well formulated minerals wicking up from inside, underneath and around the tile. Fact of life when dealing with Terracotta/ clay tiles.

You'll need to use a heavy duty Purple Power automotive defunker to loosen that food in the grout line. Forget the peroxide products

and most likely a screw driver!

You should have walked but if you do get the crud out finish up the job by misting a acid over the floor and buffing it and the efflorescence off.

Name
Ron lippold
mix up the judson at 8 oz per gallon and add a little enzymes adn mix with 190 water and scrub with nyla grit brush and bam your done.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
thanks for the advice guys..i am going to meet her tues to discuss the next step.
the main reason i even took the job was for experience, i figure you have to do some wild
shit to have the experience under your belt to bid and successfully complete jobs like
this..i will do many things different next time and i am sure will make some adjustments
on the one after that..this is all on my road to being a one stop shop..fixing everything
from mild to wild.
i will post up the end results.
thanks
dave

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
Wow what a dump. If you wanted experience...I'm sure you'll get it with that project.

I think Mike's right about using a screw driver as the first step. You may want to go the other route, lower pressure and higher heat and see what that accomplishes. It looks like the grease maybe what is holding the tile to the floor.

Have fun and let us know what the final results looked like.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
with this clay type of tile do i need to be cautious of what chems i use? or can i lay down some hard core shit and not really worry about it..
i am thinking of powerburst mixed at 6- ox per gallon..i am going to have some thick grease to cut through..i was thinking of going mikeys rout and
using some engine degreaser but if i mess up the tile somehow is my biggest worry.
thanks again for the advise and direction letting me hack into your experiences..i have plenty of time in on
semi trashed but this one is a first for me as the grease is almost unbelievable thick.

G

Try one of Mikey's SteamBrite Brush, Grout brush Prior to 175 work, with Heavy degreaser Like Suggested about, Then Viper Venom Then Restore; Personnally I would use my Kero at about 275 300 degrees; 1200 psi; for that matter I would probably go even higher in psi; Face it; Not too much bad you can do from here; throw the Hale Mary!!

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Where the mice hidding in those door jams? :lol:

Crappy thing is once you start taking the grease out it may be blotchy and you'll have no choice other then to get a uniform clean. I'd go with the engine degreaser for sure and even add some citrus to that. If the grout is loose and grease is under the tile and working it's way out then well, their screwed. I'm thinking that they'll probably say it looks ok as it is.

Albert

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Dave - I just did a kitchen today but it was ceramic tile and grout. I used bare bones stripper with powermax and powerburst sprinkled on top of a wet floor prior to scrubbing with a crb.

I used 1300 psi and I was at around 210 degrees. It was slow going cutting that grease even with my combo. Took my time, came out great.

If that was my job, screw the "carpet cleaner" stuff. I would go with the purple power mixture and add some weight to that 175 to get into the grout joints. Also, I would test a few areas of PSI up to 1500 if the grout and tile can handle it. Get the customers' clearance first. The light acid wash and buff has worked for me too on the white. Get some spray cans of wall base stripper and/or citrus cleaner to spray those baseboards. Let them sit for 15 mins and the hit them with a pressure gun.

You may could increase your water flow to your turbo also to either 03 or 04 jets. They should have 02 on there already. The higher flow works the same way on tile as carpet.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
thanks for the advicw bryan...so you are saying that the purple engine degreaser wount hurt the clay style tiles? that is my biggest concern
dave

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
so no pictures of the finished work :?

I did a school kitchen that was like that, I just took the single jet gecko tool @ 1200 psi real slow

BlinkClean

steve frasier said:
so no pictures of the finished work :?

I did a school kitchen that was like that, I just took the single jet gecko tool @ 1200 psi real slow

That's the best bet if you want to get that grout clean....I used a single jet Cobra tool on an applebees and that technique, but I had to use an enzyme, grease was so stubborn it wouldn't come off. (sadly their floors are disgusting).....it was about 5,000, given the fact that that took me nearly 3 nights to complete ( I felt I had the right to charge $4K (I also sealed the stone and grout with a high gloss sealer, I charged that much because it cost me about .30c a sq/ft to seal). After the job, I got thinking, WHO THE HELL PUTS STONE in a RESTAURANT???!?!?!?!? :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom