Cleaning canvas?

hydracat

My friend owns 6 canvas tents set up at a local campground. These are permanent canvas tents draped over log framing, very fancy. He wants me to clean the pollen and soot from the fires and candles. All outside. My main concern is using a chem that will degrade the canvas or water proofing. The mold rubbed around pretty easy so I don't think its set in the fabric. My plan is to pre-spray and then use low pressure to rinse them. Then i'll sell some scotchguard $$$. Anybody have experience with canvas?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I've cleaned sunbrella awnings and a camaro ragtop. I treated both with fabric prespray and then just pressure washed it off using the wand from my hydro force. They all cleaned well. Watch the heat if you have a burner it will pull color.

Gene

hydracat

I have a massive burner. Heat I thought should be kept to a minimum. I had not thought of looking at awning cleaning chem's. Thanks.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If the mildew isn't bad you can get away with any upholstery prespray. Spray at temperature 80F or below, as both cotton and synthetics will shrink. Over the frame probably won't matter, but having door or window flaps that won't close will be a problem.

Environmental exposure will damage waterproofing, and often mildew will damage the fabric. This is much more of a concern if the fabric is actual cotton canvas and not a synthetic. The gunk and plant life can be the the only thing keeping the fabric from leaking, and once you clean it away the fabric will leak.

Even if the fabric is a synthetic, tent and awning makers often use cotton or non-UV stabilized thread, so inspect the seams carefully.

Price the job to include treating after cleaning with an awning or boat top waterproofer appropriate for the type of fabric.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Might be a similar material to what is used for sails and many other marine enclosures and accessories.

You might want to look at some marine products for some info.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom