Cleaning Codes for Upholstery

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I have gotten a great deal of feedback on a recent article I wrote on this subject, and it seems to me that that furniture with tags that say "S" (Dry Clean Only) are still causing concern among cleaners.

http://www.ecleanadvisor.com/public/766.cfm?sd=2

I had thought this had become a non-issue in our industry, but perhaps not.

Do you pay any attention to these tags?

Specifically, what do you do if you see one that says "Dry Clean Only"?

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Jim,
Yes I still see it as an issue among the techs who refuse to take an upholstery class to get over their fear of cleaning upholstery. For the better informed it is not an issue as they realize what the tags really mean and know how to explain it to consumers.

What I see as the problem is how consumers are glued to their google search and when they call to have their fabrics cleaned they believe the tags to be the bible.

My other concern is how many techs call with a problem and tell me the fabric is 100% blended felt or 100% polyurethane because that is what the tag states.

If they hate the IICRC then take a class from you and Lisa and problem solved.

Thanks for bringing this issue to light.

Reactions: J Scott W

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks for adding the "100% blended felt/100% polyurethane" issue Bill.

I get more calls about that than I do about the cleaning code tags.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
So, how many guys actually test fibers before cleaning? Because we all know it is darn near IMPOSSIBLE to check fibers on most furniture. What is the use when every color of thread is a different material. I've NEVER tested a material because it's IMPOSSIBLE on most pieces and I've never ruined anything. I think you instructors only preach it to cover your own butts.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
While it is easy enough to ignore the Dry Clean Only sticker, perform your tests, and clean with detergents and water, and I have done it many times without problems, it can be an insurmountable obstacle to overcome your customer's fears about doing so. One of the biggest problems is they have clothing that requires dry cleaning, they know that system of cleaning exists, and you aren't doing what the tag says. Who cares if dry cleaning upholstery is generally ineffective and, more importantly, toxic for the cleaner, this is what the tag says. It is a leap of faith to trust your judgement that some people just cannot make.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I can tell you feel strongly about this Kevin.

Growing up in a cleaning business and spending years doing what you do showed me that a lot of what we are faced with in the field is harder to do than what a teacher says we should do from the front of the room. I had to learn ways to do things that make sense to the guys in the trenches, and not what works "in a perfect world"

There are two tests that I share and have practiced in the field that are really easy to do and are practical within the design of the way furniture is put together.

I'd be happy to share them with you in depth if you'd like to call me.

800-342-2297, extension 107

Or you can email me at: jimscleanchat@gmail.com

I appreciate your contributions here, and have always felt you speak from experience and genuine caring for the participants here.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've had two cushions brought in last month both with the "S" code they copied off and printed instructions along with instructions from the manufacturers website.

Both spills were water base food and solvent would have done little for the spot. One was from a 3K divan only a month old. The client was sh*tting all over herself over the spill.

I explained to her that the water based spill (soda) would not fair well with solvents and would need digesters to break down the sugars and prevent a return spot that would caramelize later.

I could see in her eyes she had little confidence compared to what she had printed. I told her I would work on the side of the cousin where any adverse damage wouldn't be noticeable and only proceed if it came out well.

It removed from the side so I did the seat and removed it with only a very slight shadow left and called her to see if she wanted me to proceed any further. She was thrilled with the results and I think I won her over that I knew more than the tag....but I'm not confident of that. :icon_neutral:

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I explain that the tag is required by law to list the material inside the cushion, just like the infamous mattress tag "not to be removed under penalty of the a visit from the mattress police.'

Then I tell them they need to do the dreaded burn test to determine if it is natural or synthetic or a blend. The problem is that most of them call after they have cleaned the sofa and turned it a funny color.

As Jim says we have great tools and a lot of chemical options available today that were not available in the 1800s when Mr. Chavez was locked in the warehouse cleaning sofas. But then again we didn't care because we were cleaning ugly plaid Herculon sofas.

All kidding aside, it is mostly the ability to communicate with the customer and reset her level of expectations. This is true no matter what you are cleaning.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
And what is your typical response to those people after you get done banging your head against the wall?:hopeless:

I first remember the long silences and strained patience I hear when I call our IT guy about a computer problem that I caused here. I think he often censors himself very carefully, then says all sorts of things I would not want to hear after he hangs up from me!

Then I give them the same answer Bill mentioned about what is legally required to be put onto furniture.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
When I took my first class with Tom Sheppard (many moons ago), he told us (only half jokingly) that the first and wisest thing we do while the client is not looking, is tear the sticker and dispose. :winky:
Client ignorance at times is bliss.

Most clients are intelligent and if you explain clearly it works well and most of the time they will go along.
I offer to do a dry cleaning with the clear explanation of what it really means (residue, products etc.) and cleaning results to be expected. And if they still choose a "dry" method, a written and signed client's consent that if the results are not to their liking and I have to do it again, they'll fully pay for a second cleaning.

I do test, if needed and practical. Though we all know that in most circumstances a perfect testing is not possible. It may require two trips and will not be very cost effective. For me as an O/O it means either making half the profit which I am not willing to do, or close to twice the price, which most clients are not willing to accept. So there's always a certain risk involved, which in most cases and experience, is close to negligible.

One instructor that I know said (before he became in instructor) that in reality, one can skip the tests altogether and clean right away as most fabrics will be just fine. And the one sofa you'll have to buy every four years will be more than paid for with all the time savings of not wasting time on testing. He was absolutely right (especially if you don't serve the super wealthy that buy only designer sofas).

Now that he's an instructor, he vehemently denies that sage advise.:winky:

P.S. Hey, Jim, can I call you for that test advise?

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I find tests of cleaning and what products can be used (zipper side) to be very helpful. However, most fiber content tests were absolutely a waste of time.
Why?
  • Most fibers these days are blends and contain both natural and synthetic fiber.
  • Unless one specializes in trashed upholstery, most cleaners and pre-sprays that are designed for delicate fabrics are still exceptionally good and will accomplish great cleaning results, using the proper technique.
  • When dealing with trashed upholstery that require stronger products and more aggressive cleaning methods, most of the time there's already substantial (irreversible) damage. In that case a good conversation with the client, being crystal clear about what can be accomplished (setting right expectations) and a signed clearly written release of liability is really what's required. And of course an understanding of how to clean to minimize the risk.
  • If one's afflicted with being a hero syndrome, there's a 12 step program for that. And congratulation on the beautiful (though slightly damaged) new sofa in the hero's living room. Isn't that, traditionally, how we in the industry furnish our homes? :winky:

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
When I took my first class with Tom Sheppard (many moons ago), he told us (only half jokingly) that the first and wisest thing we do while the client is not looking, is tear the sticker and dispose. :winky:
Client ignorance at times is bliss.

Most client are intelligent and if you explain clearly it works well and most of the time they will go along.
I offer to do a dry cleaning with the clear explanation of what it really means (residue, products etc.) and cleaning results to be expected. And if they still choose a "dry" method, a written and signed client's consent that if the results are not to their liking and I have to do it again, they'll fully pay for a second cleaning.

I do test, if needed and practical. Though we all know that in most circumstances a perfect testing is not possible. It may require two trips and will not be very cost effective. For me as an O/O it means either making half the profit which I am not willing to do, or close to twice the price, which most clients are not willing to accept. So there's always a certain risk involved, which in most cases and experience, is close to negligible.

One instructor that I know said (before he became in instructor) that in reality, one can skip the tests altogether and clean right away as most fabrics will be just fine. And the one sofa you'll have to buy every four years will be more than paid for with all the time savings of not wasting time on testing. He was absolutely right (especially if you don't serve the super wealthy that buy only designer sofas).

Now that he's an instructor, he vehemently denies that sage advise.:winky:

P.S. Hey, Jim, can I call you for that test advise?

Call me any time :)

Name
Lee Stockwell
One note on "dry cleaning" furniture: I consider a thorough VACUUMING to be just that, and indispensable.

In the shop I've had added success with compressed air as well. Sometimes the piece looks "clean" before it's ever wetted with anything.

Always, always finish with white towels.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
With Dry Cleaning most of the "cleaning" is going to be done in the vacuuming phase. OMS will remove oily based soils and smell clean but very little soil removal.

And they say encap is pixie dust cleaning.

This is what I wear when Dry Cleaning upholstery. :winky:

Bandito_zpsksyptdce.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Steve Lawrence
Jim,
We've found the furniture tag cleaning codes are not very reliable. In fact, I have seen the W code and the S code on 2 identical pieces in the same set. Our experience has shown us which fabrics we should be careful of as far as color migration, shrinkage or browning. We use Von Schrader dry foam for many of the sensitive fabrics with great success, often finishing by misting with a mild acid rinse and extracting.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
With Dry Cleaning most of the "cleaning" is going to done in the vacuuming phase. OMS will remove oily based soils and smell clean but very little soil removal.

And they say encap is pixie dust cleaning. This is what I wear when Dry Cleaning upholstery. :winky:

Bandito_zpsksyptdce.jpg
Evidently you were sleeping when they told you that one only "cleans" clean furniture with dry cleaning :winky:.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We will still dry clean some pieces.

Mostly in fire clean up when its very light residue and the pieces are new or newer and the client doesn't want it wet cleaned. We sometimes dry clean drapes that way too.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Richard told me that S stands for: Sleep now
And W for wake up.

But then like Waldo he seems to be a fictional character.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom