Cleaning Lace

Walt

I just inherited a large bed cover made by my great grandmother - who was a lace maker. It looks like a giant doily but of a very fine quality - its handmade. It is about 45-50 years old and in near new condition, but is a little dusty. I don't know if it has ever been cleaned and I can't ask my grandmother. Any idea how to clean it? It is very heavy for how thin it is. Also, does it need to be cleaned before storing?

I'm hoping one of the textile gurus might be able chime in on this.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
How about a mesh layer over it and clean through it?

Fibreglass fly screen mesh has worked great for me on the odd occassion when something delecate was soiled.

Or talk to the best dry cleaner in town.

John

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
R.Chavez said:
Send it to the dry cleaners.

I was coming back to this thread to say that.
I think that is the best Idea, probably cost you 100 bucks.

And if they screw it up, you can sue them for Millions just like that guy with the pants.
:mrgreen: :|

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My father spend 25-years in the dry cleaning & laundry business and somethings just come out better dry cleaned.

You could clean it, but their finished product will probably look much better!

If you don't want to risk dry cleaning it, go down to the local laundry mat and tumble it in the dryer with a bounce for a couple of minutes.

That will freshen it up, just don't leave it in too long.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I start by going over it with an air compressor.

Another idea if you still feel that it needs more cleaning is the "shake and bake" method I learned from Ron Toney. Throw, um place it in a large black garbage bag with a box of Millican's "Capture". Shake it up and leave the bag out in the sun for a few hours, then shake some more and repeat to the process. The heat generated by the black bag in direct sunlight just makes the Capture work better and faster.

Neither of these 2 methods will do any damage which I'd think would be your first priority.
I will be interested to hear from some our resident fabric gurus - always learning.

Good luck.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Most Lace & Tatting are linen some are cotton typically the yarns have a heavy starch sizing to improve handling during making, give body and help retain shape. Both can be washed IMO they need/ should be washed and dried flat without moving the size and fineness of the work makes them susceptible stretching, breaking and distortion from their own weight when handled wet. Tatting can have puckering issues in wet water wash systems due to their structure. Cleaning is advisable before storage and if at all possible rolled on a tube not folded which should be done with acid free archival paper or Tyvek. If you don’t feel that it’s too dirty you can always lay it flat and use a suction only vacuum on both sides.

Tumbling in a dryer is risky it can cause damage tatting is a little more susceptible

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Yes, clean before you store. These can be folded for storage, folds would come out easily if you wanted to display. You can get "archival" boxes and paper at art stores, and at some craft and office supply stores. Store in a dry place.

You can hand-wash in water and a mild detergent, but this requires a lot of time in a soak tub, and handling wet lace can lead to a lot of tears (pronounce either way :D ).

We frequently cleaned lace when we were in the drapery business and had a perch machine, but would not spend the time to dink with it by hand now. I'll second Mr. Chavez and add that you should try to find an old-timer that runs his own drycleaning shop.

Jose Smith

It needs to be hand cleaned. Don't put an upholstery tool anywhere near it. I have a tub used specifically for things like this. Creating a bath with safe fabric shampoo and using your hands to delicately clean will be the safest. Laying it flat in the sun will dry it correctly. DO NOT USE SPOTTING CHEMICALS as they may leave "cleaner" or "whiter" spots.

Most likely there is discoloration (the whites tend to "gray" over time). This can be corrected by using a powdered reducing agent. Let it sit in a bath over night and laying it flat in the sun the next day should whiten it.

Jose Smith

Jose Smith

Cellulosic browning can only happen to a cellulosic fiber. This means a plant/vegetable fiber (i.e. cotton, linen, etc.). "Lace" is not a fiber type. If the fibers are cellulosic, then cellulosic browning can happen. If the fiber is not cellulosic and turns brown, something else is happening.

I would not suggest putting a "fringe bleach" on a fabric if it doesn't need it. Fringe products I am familiar with are usually oxidizers. I recommend a powdered reducing agent if whitening is desired.

Jose Smith

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom