Cleaning Leather Question?

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
My friend owns a car wash and has 2 old leather couches in the waiting room - they are gross are are in real need of cleaning?

Any recommendations for a product? He has tried a few to no avail?

Thanks for any advise...

Mark

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Brent is right.

Leather is not very tolerant of incorrect technique, and technique varies with type. 4/5 of leather care is exacting material identification, which then indicates product and procedure.

What do you have?

Nubuck?
Analine?
Protected?
Wax Pullup?
Oil Pullup?

Full Grain?
Top Grain?
Corrected grain?
split?

Vegetable tanned?
chrome tanned?
Aldehyde tanned?
Synthetic tanned?

Bicast leather?

Granted, many of these characteristics are rarely found in, nor logically applicable to upholstery leather, and so it won't make a difference. But at a minimum, you have to know some of the basic classifications (which are listed in the first group), to even get started.

Is it any wonder why Leather Cleaning Technician is a two day course?

Name
I'm Rick James
As awesome as I am, I only clean protected leather as of now. I wont touch any other leather until I am certified because its easy to buy a leather sofa, even if it is your friends.

Roger Koh

DrUmM@sT3r said:
My friend owns a car wash and has 2 old leather couches in the waiting room - they are gross are are in real need of cleaning?

Thanks for any advise...

Mark

Assuming it is the pigmented leather types; you still have to decide if it is the non-absorbent that becomes absorbent in the body contact areas or it is an absorbent semi-aniline leathers.
In most cases I will treat pigmented leathers as absorbent if they are more than 3 years old; as cracks and abrasion starts to show.
And besides removing all the foreign contamination from the leather “finishes” (surface); we have to take care of the leather “structure” where the strength and suppleness lies.
So overall it’s a 6 steps process found in the Semi-Aniline Leather Care Kits.
Step 1
Use Prep-7.7 pH 7.7 to remove all surface contamination to the original finishes.
Step 2
Use Cleaner-3.8 pH 3.8 to remove suspended soiling.
Step 3
Use Rinse-3.0 pH 3.0 to remove all residues to a healthy squeaky clean.
Step 4
Use Hydrator-3.3 pH 3.3 to hydrate stiff leathers.
Step 5
Use Fatliquor-5.0 pH 5.0 to replenish original fatliquor (fat, oil and water) to return the leather to its original suppleness.
Step 6
Use Leather Scent-B – a non-stick, rub-resistance protector with a buttery-feel and impart a classic leather scent that charms.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®
a leather-safe system

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Wow - I was hoping for one simple product.....(laughing) honestly the owner doesn't want to spend a lot of time on them, I don't know what the leather is and I don't think he does either.

Nothing that comes to mind as just a real good overall leather cleaner?

Please don't take this wrong, I really appreciate all responses as I am learning as well.

I can say this - the owner tried a product and the leather looks real rough now - the shine is gone where he used the cleaner - not sure what he used.

:shock:

Ps You guys are a wealth a knowledge :)

Roger Koh

DrUmM@sT3r said:

Your answer is in step 1 I mention above.

Step 1
Use Prep-7.7 pH 7.7 to remove all surface contamination to the original finishes.

The tool you need is a horsehair brush for gentle agitation for Prep-7.7 to do it own work of "penetrating, lubricating and suspending surface soiling during dwell-time; thereafter extract with towel; rinse > agitate > extract.

Isn't this simple enough?

Just one product!

And its Leather-Safe!

Like to try it out?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Roger Koh said:
[quote="DrUmM@sT3r":3d0hny28]

Your answer is in step 1 I mention above.

Step 1

The tool you need is a horsehair brush for gentle agitation for Prep-7.7 to do it own work of "penetrating, lubricating and suspending surface soiling during dwell-time; thereafter extract with towel; rinse > agitate > extract.

Isn't this simple enough?

Just one product!

And its Leather-Safe!

Like to try it out?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®[/quote:3d0hny28]

Thank you Roger - that is simple enough - I'm sure he'd like to try it out? Is it something you sell? PM me a price and I'll let my friend know - he needs to clean the couch and love seat badly. I'm going to let him do this - I'm not a leather guy - just told him I'd ask on this forum as he can't get it clean.

Appreciate your help... :)

MilesSmiles

DrUmM@sT3r said:

Thanks for any advise...

Mark

A few guidlines when cleaning leather:
Test any leaning method on an inconspicuous area before using it generally.
Avoid harsh cleaners and even excessive water, which can leave stains and remove dye and lbricants.
Never dry wer leather near a heat source.
Rely on frequent dusting with a sof cloth.

You can try cleaning natural leather with a new art rubber

If there are any spots, make a paste of equal parts lemon juice and cream of tartar, work it into the spot with a cloth, let it sit for an hour or so and wipe clean.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
MilesSmiles said:
DrUmM@sT3r said:

Thanks for any advise...

Mark

Test any leaning method on an inconspicuous area before using it generally.
Avoid harsh cleaners and even excessive water, which can leave stains and remove dye and lbricants.
Never dry wer leather near a heat source.
Rely on frequent dusting with a sof cloth.

You can try cleaning natural leather with a new art rubber

If there are any spots, make a paste of equal parts lemon juice and cream of tartar, work it into the spot with a cloth, let it sit for an hour or so and wipe clean.

You can also be a real nice guy and buy them a new leather lounge.

shiteatinggrin

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
If your friend wants a do-it-yourself product that will remove a lot of soil and not harm the leather, try Home Pro By Design leather cleaner. You can see a demo and order the product from my website.

You can see a video demo of the product and order on-line.

FULL DISCLOSURE - I actually sell this product and make 20% commission. (Minus whatever I get docked for doing personal business on company time.)

www.hpbyd.com\swarrington

harryhides

Name
Tony
MilesSmiles said:

1/ Test any leaning method on an inconspicuous area before using it generally.
2/ Avoid harsh cleaners and even excessive water, which can leave stains and remove dye and lbricants.
3/ Never dry wer leather near a heat source.
4/ Rely on frequent dusting with a sof cloth.

5/ You can try cleaning natural leather with a new art rubber

Comments -
1/ Sounds like good advice but unfortunately an inconspicuous area is not a good test area as it is often so worn and soiled that is quite different from the problem area.
2/ Harsh cleaner should be avoided but in many cases lots of water is only a problem with unfinished leathers.
3/ Correct
4/ Good advice for the customer but rarely followed.
5/ True

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom