Cleaning older people's homes

Bob Foster

I recieved a phone call yesterday inquiring about a 2 bedroom condo that needed cleaning. The very elederly lady appreciated that I would come and give her an estimate. I wanted to do this because she sounded a little confused when we spoke on the phone and I thought it would be better for everyone if I did.

So I arrive there and she couldn't figure out how to buzz me into the building and had to come down with her walker and let me in personally. I get to the suite and her carpets were quite dirty with lots of spills and she had two armchairs that needed cleaning too. We discussed things a bit and booked an appointment and then she had to discuss things again and then book and appointment and then after we each wrote in our appointment books the time and date (today at 11) she mentioned that her cleaning lady would be coming at 9, so can we book and appointmetn for tomorrow... get the drift? She said she was going to go out for a long lunch and I could do it when she was gone.

I figure I'm showing up early so the cleaning lady can quarterback my issues with her. I show up and the cleaning lady asked me which company I was with. I told her and she said I wasn't booked to come till next week. Also she had just phoned and cancelled a cleaning appointment with another company who this lady had also booked an appointment with.

When I finally spoke to my customer she couldn't remember me. And she was staying there AND the cleaning lady empathic as she was wanted to get out of Dodge pronto. So here I am with a woman who had no business living on her own and I have to use a portable and also needed to do a serious scrub on all of her carpets. No, it was not a candidate for OP because it was too soiled but she was the ideal client to use it on.

But first she needed to get dressed, then she asked me if I was going to clean the chairs for about the third time,,,,,,,,,,,, and on and on and on. I had to tell her at least 4 or 5 times she could not sit in her armchair tonight because it would still be slightly damp.

I was really concerned that she would wander out of the sun room and trip or slip... It was a really tense job. But she was a sweet old lady and at least I know she got her carpets and chairs cleaned properly and nobody ripped her off. She was a text-book target for the unscrupulous.

Next time I get another person who is really elderly like that, someone has to take them out for a few hours.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I cleaned for a lady that had very bad dementia. I didn't have the issues you had her husband booked the appointment. But he left for a "quick" walk while I was cleaning. I had introduced myself to his wife and she offered me a cookie and a water. I accepted both, homemade cookies yes please! She told me she was going in the sitting room to nap. The husband left for his walk

To shorten this, in the middle of cleaning before the husband came back from his walk, she walked out the sitting room, and saw me. She had forgotten we even had met, and proceeded to call 911 saying a stranger is in her home, and she thinks she is being robbed. I look outside and saw the husband walking up the street, I quickly signaled for him and quickly explained what happened. The police showed up a few minutes later, myself and the husband having to explain to them what happened. I fear what might have happened if she was living alone, I'm sure I could easily explain to the police then, but having the husband there made things much easier.

Apparently a similar issue happened with the HVAC guy a few months earlier.

Her husband was able to convince her we had met to which she seemed to somewhat remember. I thanked her again for the cookie and water. She was very embarrassed, but I didn't make a big deal out of it. I apologized for startling her, trying to take the blame for the incident in an attempt to help keep her pride. She gave me three cookies to take with me, a nice hug, and big smile when I was leaving. The husband put a $50 on the drivers seat with a simple "thank you". When I got back to the office I quickly wrote a simple thank you note, and stuck it in the mail.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I used to work in a senior center and enjoy older people even if they don’t have a full deck. I might change my mind when I’m dealing with baby boomers but the seniors of today are a great generation indeed. I don’t think that incident would have upset me at all, even though she wasted allot of my time. Despite recent indications to the contrary, I am generally a patient person (beware the wrath of a patient man). Just be glad it was not a WDR job. I had to do a tear out because a gentleman with Alzheimer’s keep turning off drying equipment as soon as I would leave day after day. My big fear when working with someone like that is that they would slip, fall and break their hip. I tell them every 5 minutes floors are slippery be careful.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I have a regular 96-year-old custy who is one of the most tech-savy persons I know. Always has the latest high-end computers, audio systems, phones, synths, etc. and knows how to use them. Super-sharp guy.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I used to clean a chain of Alzheimer's care facilities. I always came home with some good stories. Imagine doing all of that with about 15-20 people living in one home. I loved that account. Lost it to a low baller.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
did i ever mention the old lady that was rolling out cookie dough on the counter........
there were THOUSANDS of little red piss ants EVERYWHERE........
ya i PASSED on a cookie...thanks tho!

John Buxton

One thing I have learned about old people...when they ask you to do something they dont mean when you can get to it, they mean now.

Mikey P

Administrator
I too love the older folk.

Once had a 101 year old woman move every stick of furniture out of her mobile home prior to cleaning.

By herself!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
John Buxton said:
One thing I have learned about old people...when they ask you to do something they dont mean when you can get to it, they mean now.
yaaaaa what's up wit THAT....
SOME of us ain't got all day...ya know!!!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Well I'm a monkey's freakin uncle - When you were being trash talked about on your "vacation", I posted about the time you helped me with a job for a seriously overwhelmed senior, everyone lined up with full bowels and a belly full of exlax to either shit on me, you or both of us. Go figure.

Bob Foster

When and if she called again I'd be glad to do it for her or anyone like her. I just would make sure she wasn't around for her own safety. I actually enjoy helping these people.

I enjoyed helping you Willy - anytime and the offer still stands if you need a truck over there for a big job just give me a call.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I live in a huge retirement community, I really enjoyed the seniors. I figure someday, if I'm really lucky, I'll live long enough to be in there shoes and I try and have some empathy and treat them the way I would want to be treated. A lot of them are lonely, struggling with staying independent and caring for themselves, isolated from family and support.

I don't know how many I did that were ashamed to admit they were dealing with incontinence, explaining the poop trail leading from bed to bathroom was from the dog who got sick....I would just smile and tell them it is no problem. When it is obvious there is no dog in the home....

It sucks to get old, the Golden Years are bullshit. Old age robs us of our bodies and minds eventually. It used to be different, extended family lived together, sometimes many generations working family businesses, ranches and farms. People were home more to care for one another...doctors made house calls and you didn't need to drive everywhere to meet your basic needs.

Life is different now, we are far more fractured...too busy and stressed. Old people become burdens instead of blessings and they feel it.

Sometimes I wish we could throw out the cell phones, computers, televisions cheap imported mass marketed goods and easy credit and live a less complicated life like they did a hundred years ago.

Take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
Sometimes I wish we could throw out the cell phones, computers, televisions cheap imported mass marketed goods and easy credit and live a less complicated life like they did a hundred years ago.

Do you ever feel real guilty looking at how much food packaging you toss in the Recycling Can each day?
As a nation we're despicable.

S

sam miller

Just to be fair some elderly get to the point of living alone because they burned bridges! Give Love get Love!

Oh ya recycle dont be dispecable. Still I see lots of familys where I live with a elderly parent living with them. Several passing in the home where they live, its always hard going in and hearing the news but most of these folks have made thier peace and have a heavenly hope!

So its nice to see but ya there are hundreds of thousands living in assisted living situations and dying alone.

One Customers Mom recently passed and was 98 her daughter was saying how she out lived all her friends. Still had kids and grandkids there when she passed.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
We do clean quite a bit in retirement communities and they tend to be really crammed with the tons of things, extremely dirty, long setups, and sometimes the clients are very hard to deal with.

Sometimes it's best to deal with their children so you don't get that call from them later wondering what happened at the job

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I recently had a 75 year old lady that was completely convinced that she owed me 25k when she only owed my 8k. She had the checkbook out and started writing. Geez, I had a pause for about a second and then let her know the balance. She kept asking if I was sure.

Reactions: Mikey P

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
some elders are like that, have less patience. I have several elder clients that are the opposite. As long as you are doing what you say are going to do, and you do it well, they are extremely forgiving if something doesn't go quite right. I find many of them like to talk, so its easy to engage them in conversation.

Back
Top Bottom