Cleaning & Repair question

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I cleaned this house and the carpet started to get wrinkles. I know not to panic and I told the customer that they would go away. All did except one. I tried to stretch it out and it looked better, but did not come out. The wrinkle is by a seam, but not on a seam. It is about the distance of where the edge of the tape would be. How can I fix this?

Seam is above my cell phone case. Wrinkle is not very visible here, but is a couple of inches above seam.
0127101016.jpg

Wrinkle from a distance
0127101017.jpg

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
im gonna say the seam tape is stuck to the pad. Take an awl stick it in carpet near seam and pull up carpet.

Its a pretty common problem from overheating seam tape or glue flowing on to pad while seaming.

should have been there already though

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Some ripples the customers don't see until after the carpet is cleaned and the light reflects off of it better.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Charles Lyman said:
It has been 2 weeks since the cleaning.

Your mistake was stretching it. It can take up to 6 weeks to go away. I would drop an LGR in the room for a few days - should fix your problem

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Charles . The seam is peaked. The lighting does not help. Could be thickness of tape (pick count) is it a 5 pic backing or a 11 pic backing. Could be the tape he used. Could be it is not seam sealed or seam sealed correctly.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Peaked seams can be caused by too much heat when seaming the carpet (leaving the iron in place too long before moving it).

Your cleaning probably aggravated the seam and caused it to dry up even more than before cleaning, or could have caused some of the air pockets at the backing/tape area to increase.

Feel at the seam, and see if anything feels bulged under the carpet at the peak area.

Last resort, try steaming the area again, and stretch it while it is still wet.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Charles a peaked seam caused by excesive heat, if it did not look like that before it is not delaminated. So you could excuse Bob's theory now. At this point you can maybe steam it to relax , personally I would let it relax all on it's own. Even though we see wrong here. Does not mean it is wrong.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Joel, seam peaking doesn't have to happen right at the seam in fact a very well made seam can have this problem on a cheaper carpet or a flimsy back like the 5 pick back Harry Mentioned. And as Charles already pointed out.. its about the distance away from the middle of the seam right at the tape line. Often times the carpet hinges over the tap area enough to make a noticble line. Especielly if its a thicker tape on a lower profile carpet like that pictured here.

Though I think you may be right about the seam stuck to the pad. Charles check that out and let us know what you find. Also take taking your camera and take a picture from the surface of the carpet in the future to give a good wrinkle shot.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I might not be able to get over there for a couple of days, but I will see if the tape is stuck to the pad and get some more pics. I wasn't able to stretch the carpet very far, in fact I was able to tuck it without cutting any off. It is some very cheap carpet in a very high end home.
Thanks for all the input.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Charles either way a properly done job can show what is displayed. sometimes it needs to relax. also maybe the installer did not seam seal it correctly. could be many things . honestly i dont think you are at fault at all.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
If worst comes to worst . you can use a crab stretcher . Get yourself a taylor glue gun Micro tip and put a thin bead of glue and continue down the seam.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom