Cleaning up the Oil Spill??

Name
Lee Stockwell
What could our industry contribute to cleaning up this mess? We have innovative solutions to many cleaning problems, both with machines and chemicals.

The dispersants being used aren't identified, other than that they employ nano-technology and are believed to have as yet unknown downsides.

I'm thinking there must be a better way to suck up the oil, and capture it instead of dispersing it.

more...

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ask everyone to tear out that oil-loving olefin carpet and put it on the next truck to the Gulf. Then just drag it thru the water....

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Our current administration's response to this disaster makes the Bush response to Katrina look like warp speed. Yes, you can't pump all of it out of the water but every barrel you get is one less to contaminate the ocean.
Al

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
http://www.gatorinternational.com/
http://www.gatorinternational.com/beforeandafter.htm

Best stuff I've found to clean up oil.
Watched a vid where they rototilled bags of this into the ground when about 100000gal of oil spilled into a valley. Next year the grass was thriving.
I called BP about it, emailed them, Gator has been trying to get in touch with them, but not much success. Its like they aren't interested in something that would actually help.

John Buxton

This Oil disaster makes me sick to my stomach. I said it before but I'm just a dumbass rug sucker and said 30 years ago we need to get off oil.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
0520-kevin-costner-oil-spill.jpg

Film star Kevin Costner is joining the ranks of scientists, engineers, and lawmakers in an international effort to figure out how to contain and clean up oil streaming into the Gulf of Mexico at the rate of 210,000 gallons a day.

Film star Kevin Costner and his scientist brother are promoting a water-oil separation device as part of the effort to clean up the oil spill in the Gulf.

.Mr. Costner appeared in New Orleans last week to demonstrate a $24 million oil extraction device he is pitching to BP and Coast Guard officials. Costner says the device will clean oil from the water at a rate of 97 percent. BP Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles said Wednesday that his team will test the device next week.

Costner’s involvement in helping solve oil spill crises is not new. The 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill disaster in Alaska motivated the actor to help fund a consortium of scientists to develop technology that mitigates oil-infected water before it hits the coast. The technology is ready to combat the BP spill, he told reporters last week.

“It's not anymore about talk," Costner told WWL-TV in New Orleans. “It's about doing the walk, and that phrase was probably invented down here.”

Costner’s company, Ocean Therapy Solutions, provides multiple machines designed to address spills of different sizes. The largest can clean as many as 200 gallons per minute, Costner said. The company reports it has 20 such machines ready to be employed.

“The machines are basically sophisticated centrifuge devices that can handle a huge volume of water and separate [the oil] at unprecedented rates,” Ocean Therapy Solutions CEO John Houghtaling said last week.

Costner said the machines work by drawing in the infested water where it then breaks it down, allowing the oil to discharge through a separate pipe. His audience, a gathering of local parish presidents, appeared eager to get the device to the Gulf.

"To me, this is a major tool for a tool box that should be tested," said Craig Taffaro, St. Bernard Parish president.

Besides saying that Costner’s device will be tested next week, BP’s Suttles said his company and the Coast Guard have been collecting ideas from the public since Day One of the crisis. The command center receives 100 ideas a day, Suttles said.

Costner said his decision to fund the technology was a result of needing to use the wealth he was “lucky” to accumulate instead of “piling it” for no real purpose.

“We all make decisions about what we want to be a part of. I’m just one person focusing on a specific problem and throwing a little resources to a lot of talent and manpower … to come up with what is a [solution],” he said.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
BURN-IT..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Keep it OFF SHORE.....!

Until they can drill a relief Well... :wink:

Less damage to the enviorment if it doesn't reach the shore.... :!:

Ps Or a "gEorgIa CredIt CaRd"... :idea:

Name
Lee Stockwell
If smart people in different industries would put their heads together this could be fixed.

Large supertankers could be positioned near the epicenter of the spill and then via suction and skimming devices filled with the water/oil mixture. By the time a tanker is filled much of the water would have settled out and could be pumped back overboard.

Refineries could be modified to take this brine/oil mix and remove most of the petroleum.

This will be an international disaster soon if Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela and various islands and other nations are damaged.

Don't tell me why it "won't work". Do it. Then figure out how to do it better.

Quickly!!

Bob Foster

In less than 10 seconds the flow from this well would fill up every truckmount(not just the tank) in the world.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom