Cleaning With Portable

G

Hello I am about to make a purchase on some equipment the mytee m5 and I have read a few imes to get a 175 rotary scrubber. what I want to know is what do you put on it a brush of some sort? Im guessing here and it makes most sense in my head but after you were to pre spray the carpet would you use this machine to help break up the dirt? Then do your extraction. Just trying to make sure I am getting all this info right.... thanks

hernandez

xpowellsk8 said:
Hello I am about to make a purchase on some equipment the mytee m5 and I have read a few imes to get a 175 rotary scrubber. what I want to know is what do you put on it a brush of some sort? Im guessing here and it makes most sense in my head but after you were to pre spray the carpet would you use this machine to help break up the dirt? Then do your extraction. Just trying to make sure I am getting all this info right.... thanks
:lol: scrub away but you should look into a cylidrical brush machine there much easier and safer to use

Supersucker

You would prespray then rotoscrub then extract.
Better yet, get a scrubber with tank and apply chems as you scrub.
Yes you would need a 17" brush with it. You can also use the scrubber with bonnets for interim cleaning, spotting, or to get the carpet dry fast and prevent wickbacks such as from a large coffee or soda spill.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
As I hope you have learned by now, when we clean we utitilize 4 components to help us clean. We call this TACT for Time Agitation Chemical and Temperature. All of these concepts work togther to help us suspend and remove soil from any surface.

When you are using a portable.. expecilly one with no heat, you loose the heat factor which can greatly assist you in improving your cleaning. Some people use an inline heater and some people hook up to a hot water heater, but this is still a far cry from 200 degrees that alot of truckmounts put out.

So to help make up for the short fall in Temperature you have to capitalize on the Time, Agitation and Chemical. You are also handicapped somewhat on chemical depending on the type of carpet and the amount of heat you have to work with. Certain oxidizers work better with high heat and some carpets don't lend themselves to super duty chemistry.

Therefore we try to maximize on our agitation. Now a 175 is recommened because it is so versatile however any mean of mechanical agitaiton works very well in combination with most chemistries to break the bond of soils on the carpet. On residential you can use a 175 with shampoo brush (some prefer adjust a glide brushes or even us green stripped pads.) You can also use on commercial carpets a beiger or red pad.

But you don't have to limit yourself to a 175. Cylindrical brush machines work great as well as do some random orbit machines. Many have started to or use either used Host Machines, sebo scrubbers, or the drimatic scrubbers.. I think they are still selling a few for around $200.00 on ebay. But these machines can lift the pile up. And can be used dry on some carpets to dig the extra crud out of the carpet that otherwise might have not come out with vacuuming alone.

Hope this helps a little bit. Scrubbing will make any cleaning job easier when it comes time to actually rinse the carpet.

G

Thanks for the info that helps a lot. Some of it is greek to me but with time comes knowledge so i figure the more i read into this and the more i pick brains of people like youguys the better i am. Any other information would be great as well. Like how does using a bonnet help after you are done extracting? And what are some types of cylidrical brushes? Why do you not recommend a rotary? Are there chemicals that are better made for lower temps?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I use a brush with my 175. It's important to break in the brush on concrete for a while so the bristles won't tear up the carpet when you first use it. The brush will soften up over time and will last for many years. You should be able to snap a hydroforce sprayer to your portable solution line to prespray before running your 175 which lubricates the fibers and protects them from damage.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
Find a local supply store and attend an IICRC carpet cleaning tect course. It will help out alot and make you a more knowlegable cleaner. Trust me you will fell much more confident at work with this formal instruction behind you. Three day class cost 375.00 that includes the test fee I think. Well worth you time. And you will find there are several helpful guys on the board that can give you great advice when you are challenged. I LOVE THIS PLACE. My wife says I spend to much time here. I tell her its because I learn so much for this place. Have fun.

G

Is this machine worth anything...Its a great price but looks a little small and underpowered

http://www.***************/store/koblen ... -5096.html

Name
Nate W.
Art Kelley said:
I use a brush with my 175. It's important to break in the brush on concrete for a while so the bristles won't tear up the carpet when you first use it. The brush will soften up over time and will last for many years. You should be able to snap a hydroforce sprayer to your portable solution line to prespray before running your 175 which lubricates the fibers and protects them from damage.

For newbies, I'd recommend a CRB before a 175. Unless you're a quick study, the 175 does take some time to get used to it. What I mean is, you'll need to learn how to walk with the machine and not swing it. Also, another common problem is some people tent to heel the machine which will result in damage to the carpet and will make the brush uneven.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Nate The Great said:
[For newbies, I'd recommend a CRB before a 175. Unless you're a quick study, the 175 does take some time to get used to it. What I mean is, you'll need to learn how to walk with the machine and not swing it. Also, another common problem is some people tent to heel the machine which will result in damage to the carpet and will make the brush uneven.
A newbie needs to take the time to learn to handle the 175. Some of the most lasting memories of your cleaning career occur during this phase, such as lamps pulled off tables when you pass over cords and drywall dented.

G

if the 175 is like running a buffer on a hard floor ive had plenty of experience with that I was in the military for 5 years and had pleany of floors to polish and strip of wax....running on carpet might be a different feel though I dunno untill I try. What the differencr between runnign a 15" as compared to a 17"...I have seen some 15" for a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Although I also do like the Miracle mate that someone posted a link to thats pretty cool and looks very easy to operate.

Name
Nate W.
xpowellsk8 said:
if the 175 is like running a buffer on a hard floor ive had plenty of experience with that I was in the military for 5 years and had pleany of floors to polish and strip of wax....running on carpet might be a different feel though I dunno untill I try. What the differencr between runnign a 15" as compared to a 17"...I have seen some 15" for a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Although I also do like the Miracle mate that someone posted a link to thats pretty cool and looks very easy to operate.

The diameter of the head is different. Also, keep in mind the horse power plays a good part in it too. They range in size most commonly seen 13", 15", 17", 19".

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
xpowellsk8 said:
if the 175 is like running a buffer on a hard floor ive had plenty of experience with that I was in the military for 5 years and had pleany of floors to polish and strip of wax..

if you have experience "stripping" floor finish off tile (not to be confused with hi-speed polishing)
then you can handle a rotary, cause it's the same 175 RPM rotary scrubber you used to strip wax.....er..floor "finish" (or one of the VCT gEEks will yell at us for calling it "wax").. :lol: .

The difference will be the friction, or "grab" on carpet compared to wet tile..
there's much more when the rotary in on carpet.
You balance and move left to right just the same as on tile...just lots more "grab"
but every bit as easy to run and maneuver .
Just start in an open area.
a 15" rotary is fine...especially for smaller/tighter areas

a rotary is far superior to a cylinder brush machine as far as shearing soil off the fiber.
a rotary is also a much more versatile tool.

you can use a shampoo brush, bonnets or VCT pads to scrub carpet with .
each one can be a more aggressive scrub than the next, as carpet type and soil conditions dictate .
Be advised, keep the carpet heavy lubed with slippery detergent (pre-spray) or you can burn/ruin a carpet with aggressive brushes or VCT pads

..L.T.A.

G

I got another question. I am going to purchase a mytee M5 and it dosent come with a wand. Which wand should I get? As in jet size and all of that. How do I know what jet size and how many jets I would need for future reference so I can know for myself how to determine what is right.

Name
John LaBarbera
xpowellsk8 said:
I got another question. I am going to purchase a mytee M5 and it dosent come with a wand. Which wand should I get? As in jet size and all of that. How do I know what jet size and how many jets I would need for future reference so I can know for myself how to determine what is right.

A Bentley of course.

Sit tight for a couple of weeks for your 175. They are rolling off the Mytee assembly line as we speak. Our new shampoo tanks is just finishing being built. This tank is unlike any tank in the Industry. 4 gal., drain valve, screw on tethered fill cap, fill hose with rubber spigot attachment and the best bracket attachment of any machine. We'll auction it off here on Mikey's Board with the whole set up, Machine, Tank and Brush. Nate pays his own freight to Hawaii! I'll post picture when it's ready.

Name
Nate W.
John LaBarbera said:
xpowellsk8 said:

A Bentley of course.

Sit tight for a couple of weeks for your 175. They are rolling off the Mytee assembly line as we speak. Our new shampoo tanks is just finishing being built. This tank is unlike any tank in the Industry. 4 gal., drain valve, screw on tethered fill cap, fill hose with rubber spigot attachment and the best bracket attachment of any machine. We'll auction it off here on Mikey's Board with the whole set up, Machine, Tank and Brush. Nate pays his own freight to Hawaii! I'll post picture when it's ready.

:shock: :shock:

I need a dual speed rotary. :D 300+rpm's

Name
John LaBarbera
Nate The Great said:
[quote="John LaBarbera":qnnwv3xk]
xpowellsk8 said:

A Bentley of course.

Why two speed?

I need a dual speed rotary. :D 300+rpm's[/quote:qnnwv3xk]

Name
Nate W.
John LaBarbera said:
[quote="Nate The Great":2y8pwq6p][quote="John LaBarbera":2y8pwq6p]

A Bentley of course.

I need a dual speed rotary. :D 300+rpm's[/quote:2y8pwq6p]

Why two speed?[/quote:2y8pwq6p]

Ultra Dry system needs a 300+ speed to work. Also for Xerion to work too. Our dual speed rotary went kaput!

Still got the old reliable Unico's but only 175rpm. :wink:

Jay D

Name
Jay D
If your gonna spend the Money on NEW Get the 17" 175rpm buffer. They are very versatile machines. As far as carpet get yourself about 10 bonnets, 2 that are the synthetic fiber with green scrubbing strips and 8 white cotton longer loop style. The type with the green stripes scrub really well on all carpet and the loop style are great for bonnetting commercial carpet and post bonneting after you HWE with your portable. You can pickup a lot of suspended soil that way if you do it right.

I have had a couple brushes before and they worked fine but they dig deeper and can leave marks if you are not careful. There is a learning curve with the brush and less with bonnets. Get a tank and a showerfeed driveblock so you can also encap commercial. I would NOT use the shower feed with pre-spray in the tank to scrub in the pre-spray!!! Too much juice on the carpet for a portable machine to suck up. Use a hydroforce to spray evenly and then use the green stripe pad to scrub in the prespray.

You can clean well with a portable if you have the time and diligence to do it. If you want quicker better cleaning save your money and get a good used Truckmount for about 4,000. Yes they are out there if you take your time to find one. Wish I had started with a truckmount. All the difference in cleaning and cuts down your learning curve. Still get the 175 because they will help make you more versatile all around, portable or truckmount.

Good luck.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
xpowellsk8 said:

designer wands are in vogue these days, Travis
some are good, some are over rated and some over priced
(I should note, I have no experience with John's Bentley and my comment is just a "general" observation and not directed at his wand )

but a cheap ole 2 jet AW29 or AW29 knockoff is still a great cleaning wand at moderate to low PSI....regardless of what anyone tells you....
(priced anywhere from $199 to $299)
It's generally the generic wand that comes with many portys.

Keep the pressure down below 300 PSI and it's a great cleaning wand

..L.T.A.

G

I was looking at those pads the green stripes and white pads are like 140 or so on steam brite and on clean freak.com they are like 20 bucks? whats up with that? Also with encapping on commercial whats the purpose of that? And im not to up to speed on what encapping is ive been reading so I should figure it out.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I'm going to echo what somebody else already said on this post.. While reading is all great and all.. You really need to get to some kinda of training class all beit an IICRC, RIA, local carpet association something to get up to snuff on carpet cleaning. You can very easily put yourself out of business with one screw up on the wrong carpet. And asking all of your questions on the Bulletin board doesn't cut it. I respect your desire to getinto the carpet cleaning business but please do so with the proper training so you can serve your customers to the best of your ability instead of giving our industry a black eye.

Now getting off my soap box. Encapsulation is a type of cleaning method used for interim maintenance of carpet.. usually commercial carpets. It capitalizes on agitation and chemical. Encapsulation detergents and shampoos have special brittle polymers that crystalize upon drying and encapsulate the oily and loose soils in carpet, allowing them to be removed on the regular vacuuming schedule. The product is aggresively scrubbed into the carpet with a brush or pad machine. In heavy soil situations, scrubbing the detergent and then going over it again with a bonnet or aborbant cotton pad under your machien will absorb and remove some of the soil.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
xpowellsk8 said:
I was looking at those pads the green stripes and white pads are like 140 or so on steam brite and on clean freak.com they are like 20 bucks? whats up with that? Also with encapping on commercial whats the purpose of that? And im not to up to speed on what encapping is ive been reading so I should figure it out.

the green striped bonnets are scrub bonnets.
Don't freak over the price..cause they're very durable and last a LONG time.
you'll get lots and lots of use out of them
they work well for pre-scrubbing and are the safest (won't burn/ruin carpet) for a rookie to use
"IF"...you follow my instructions;
Pre-spray the carpet thoroughly..that's spraying appx 1 gal pr of ready to use (RTU) pre-spray pr 300 square feet (sf) of carpet .
"RTU" means you've already mixed it according to directions
"saturate" the scrub bonnet with pre-spray...start scrubbing

encRapulastion is a new term for an old method..."shampoo"
The new term was coined by a shampoo juice salesman when they added some pixie dust to the soap.
the term encRap has stuck.
It's not a bad method for "interim" commercial carpet cleaning between regular thorough steam cleanings ...or technically, "hot water extraction" (HWE)

..L.T.A.

G

I plan on taking some classes here very soon since I know I am way behind on the informatin needed for this.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
xpowellsk8 said:
I plan on taking some classes here very soon since I know I am way behind on the informatin needed for this.

formal classes are great, and i don't disagree with Sweeny, but you probably won't understand half of what they're teaching, cause you're a complete buck rookie.
Try and hook up with an experienced outfit in the next county or two...someone out of your service area.
See if they're willing to allow you to ride along for a week or two in trade for your free labor (and education)

carpet cleaning isn't rocket science...
(if it was, they wouldn't rent Rug Doctors at the local Piggly Wiggly grocery store)
97.83% of wall to wall carpet you'll see in typical homes and commercial settings will be synthetic...and quite frankly, pretty hard to screw up...unless you're using the wrong chems or soaking it so bad it's wet for days.

Upholstery and wool area rugs is another matter though, so be careful/cautious what you attempt on those

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom