Clear coating on Tile & Grout

dekare

Being new to the Tile & Grout cleaning side of the business, I looked at tile & grout in a commercial setting that looks like it has a clear coating over it's entirety. The owner is dissatisfied as it appears to be perhaps peeling or wearing over part of it. Is tile & grout ever supposed to have a clear coating put over it completely or just the grout?

What do you suppose it will take to remove the clear coating? How would you proceed?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
over ceramic tile no but grout yes. the finish on ceramic is baked in. i wouldn't use a film on grout either but i have seen some.

gene

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
If it is peeling most likely someone put floor finish over ceramic tile. You'll have to use a floor stripper and a lot off scrubbing to remove it.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
dekare said:
Is tile & grout ever supposed to have a clear coating put over it completely or just the grout?

Wax or topical sealer

What do you suppose it will take to remove the clear coating? How would you proceed?

stripper

test an area to see what works, before you price it, or promise any results.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
These topical coating should not be put on the tile for the very reasons you see. They tend to wear unevenly, peel off and can be very difficult to completely strip off. They are maintenance nightmares.

Seal the grout. Penetrating sealer not a topical sealer. Don't seal the tile. Most come from the factory with a glaze or finish.

highsteam

Name
Alberto
A good stripper will do, but extra work to get the grout done.

Is it like subway restaurants floors?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom