Clogging jets / failing hose?

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
I use a ti wand with stock 01 jets. Lately the jets have been clogging way to frequently. Sometimes I can temporarily remedy it with a pin leaving the jet in place, other times I'll have to pull 1 or 2 jets off at a time and clean. Major pita.

Can this be caused by a solution line failing? Currently using Goodyear solution line. Running a lean Slurry rinse but can meter it down to zero and the jets are still clogging.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim Morrison said:
I use a ti wand with stock 01 jets. Lately the jets have been clogging way to frequently. Sometimes I can temporarily remedy it with a pin leaving the jet in place, other times I'll have to pull 1 or 2 jets off at a time and clean. Major pita.

Can this be caused by a solution line failing? Currently using Goodyear solution line. Running a lean Slurry rinse but can meter it down to zero and the jets are still clogging.

see my post ( ?????? ) in the high performance room and let me know if it is the same..........

Greenie

01s are real easy to clog.
I'll bet you don't have an inline filter between the QD and valve, even a 50 mesh strainer would stop 01 debris.

oh...and stay away from sticking anything into a precision cut spray orifice. Time for some 01.5 jets at a min.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
probably scale.
first check the strainer on the wand.
It likely covered with scale/debris then the PSI blew a corner of it in allowing crud to the jets

to make your jet clogs a thing of the past,(after you change/clean the strainer) plug a loose quick disconnect into the end of the solution line.
on start up, flush the line for 20-30 seconds.

if you work alone, just stick the solution line in the vac hose and open the ball valve.
Then go start the TM.
By the time you get back inside, your sol line will be flushed and ready to hook to the wand.

we cool down before shut down too..
While bleeding off the hot solution, we fill sprayers, spray the wand off, fill the chem tank, etc

since we started flushing at start up and cool down when done, fouled jets are a thing of past.
matter of fact, it's rare when we even have to clean the strainer now.

...L.T.A.

TimP

I'd say you need to put a filter in before your valve and change over to .02 jets and call it a day. At least if it was me that's what I'd do! I actually cleaned out my filter on my greenhorn wand a few weeks ago and had hardly and trash in it after about 9-10 months of use.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Is the debris in the jets black?

Can't sat I have specifically seen it. The jets usually get rinsed under a flowing tap, dark debris would be my wag.

Use an inline filter on the wand and you should be fine.

Never thought of that, sounds like the way to go. Is that something a cc supplier would stock? Thanks!

oh...and stay away from sticking anything into a precision cut spray orifice. Time for some 01.5 jets at a min.

Judging from the amount of times I stuck bread ties / pins in the orifices I should be flowing 12 by now.

if you work alone, just stick the solution line in the vac hose and open the ball valve.
Then go start the TM.
By the time you get back inside, your sol line will be flushed and ready to hook to the wand.

Doing that currently to purge any cool water out of the line.

Greenie

Who in the hell sold you a $1200 wand with no inline filter? I'd be on the phone right quick chewing some azz...especially with 01 jets.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Lose the 01's, they are a PIA to keep clean. A little sliver of teflon tape will clog a 01.
Bump the jets up to 02 minimum. It will also clean better.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Are one of these pieces supposed to be a filter?
IMG_4400.jpg

The piece next to the qd is stamped "spraying systems co." inside it is a part that can be turned with a blade screwdriver?

The next piece seems to be a reducer nothing inside it. Stamped 4676 1/4 max 1500psi.

Anybody know what these are?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
the strainer is inside the piece the QD is on.

that part you saw that looked like it "turned with a screwdriver" is the strainer.
The screw driver slot you saw is for the check valve internals in the strainer.
You don't need to monkey with that to pull the strainer.
The whole strainer assy simpley pulls out.

you might have to gentlely pry a bit to remove it though.
cause my guess is, it's packed with silt/crud.
Other wise it would drop right out.

pull the strainer, clean it, then inspect it closely.
I'd bet a nickel the screen is blown thru some where.

TCS Farm Supply Store sells a pack of 4 stainers for $11

..L.T.A.

Greenie

DSC01919.jpg

DSC01918.jpg

Sometimes I'm amazed at how some will sell a piece of equip. and not explain anything about it, let alone the maint. of such.

btw: There are strainer screen filters like above, and there are check valve strainer combinations like you would use behind a Tee jet, you would not want a check valve behind your wand valve as pictured above, it would serve no purpose except to restrict water flow.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Thanks for the picture Jeff, its starting to make sense now. Heading to the hose & bearing shop tomorrow to see if they have any strainers.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Greenie, this is what was behind the valve, strainer with check valve. Unnecessary?

IMG_4402.jpg

Found these at Nicks farm implements are they good enough?

IMG_4406.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I don't know if the plastic will hold up to TM heat and psi, Jim

thats what you need, only brass body instead of plastic

I'd use that plastic one til you can find one w/brass body

most carpet cleaning suppliers/distys will have them.
generally they're expensive at suppliers though

my local farm supply carries them in plastic and brass with and w/o check valves

..L.T.A.

C

Carpet Dude

you may want to clean the inside of your water box then add a filter inside of it as well.

Greenie

Jim, you'll never talk any logic into folks who insist on putting a check valve/strainer in a place where a strainer only is intended, I went round and round with one wand Mfg, and at the end of the conversation they were going to continue putting check valves in because their customers wanted them... never mind educating your paying customer that they restrict water flow and make the screen prone to early failure. :roll:

Check valves are for jets, to stop the dribbles, not iniline filters, the wand's control valve makes the misplaced in-line check totally unnecessary, it simply can not check flow if the control valve is closed, and when the control valve is open .... well you get the point.

So check your filters.

If you are running .02 jets or smaller I would recommend using a 100 mesh filter. Usally the wands come with a 50 mesh filter

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
After reading the above posts I scavenged the strainer off a barely used PC quad jet. Ti ran like a chump all morning, nice to have that rectified. It's better to be cleaning carpet than jets!

Greenie, does seem a little pointless thanks for pointing that out. Will get a couple extra metal strainers and leave the plastic ones on the shelf for now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom