clutch problem

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So this morning I fired up the tm, turn on the cat pump and the belt moved about 3 inches stopped and made a noise. Turned it off and on again, nothing. Checked the pump it turned fine. Put a bolt in the clutch and finished the job. After the job I took the bolt out and tried it again and it worked. It was around 20 degrees the night before and I didn't cover the pump. Its all wrapped up tonight. So was this the cold weather or is this clutch about to go?

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well I found the problem. Ice in the pump. It got so cold everything was frozen today. Water hose, water box and the pump. It took a hour on my first job to get the machine going. Put a small heater in the van and drained everything for tonight.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
sorry man...I completely missed this....you might want to check and see if there is ice in your pump................

FredC

Village Idiot
20 degrees? Did you check to see if there was ice in the pump?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Well I found the problem. Ice in the pump. It got so cold everything was frozen today. Water hose, water box and the pump. It took a hour on my first job to get the machine going. Put a small heater in the van and drained everything for tonight.

Welcome to OUR world, out here in the plains and Midwest and Northeast. It's just part of everyday business practise here to get that unit protected in some way. It's your money-maker! I, of course, have a 3000+ sf shop with infrared heaters. The van goes into the shop every nite that the temp will dip below 32*. I just don't want to take a chance. Meat had a good idea (for those cc'ers that have ocational cold nights) a few posts ago. Fire up that TM, put it under load, let it run 15 minutes or so to get to full operating temp, shut it down and cover it, and throw in a ceramic heater. If you get a full freeze, and lose your HX'ers and water system plumbing, it's going to cost you a bundle. Not to mention your hoses, which are setting on the van floor most likely, and wand valves and sprayers. I don't lose sleep anymore (after 25 + years of owning my own equipment) worrying about freeze-ups. Remember, if you have a freeze up, and you successfully thaw it out, there may be cracked or hairline cracked fittings in your system, ready to blow when warmed up.
rwtruck.jpg
heater_zpsad0e36c5.jpg
8.jpg
4.jpg

Last image is BEFORE I filled the shop up with.......shit! My Son's think it's their personal storage garage!

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
9 years I never had this happen. The moving blankets always did the trick. Drained the water box & pump. One guy said to leave a halogen light in the van.

Becker

Name
Becker
Blankets only keep something warm that produces heat or is already warm and in that cause will only slow down the cooling process but it will cool and freeze.

Like facet covers. They work because the house produces heat. If the house is heated. The faucet cover traps it and makes it cool slower.

On a super cold night you need some source of heat.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Make a cave with the blankets and put a heater on the open side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom