CNG vs Unleaded

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The truck I just bought has everything on it for CNG except the tank. I'm wondering if I should just leave it or put it to work with CNG. Besides emissions and maybe cheaper insurance, I don't see any other benefit. What's you guys' thoughts?

Here's what's on it:
prinsautogas.com

Prins Auto Gas System B.V
model VSI CNG Vapor Sequential injection

I'm gonna give them a call next week and get their input as well. Just wondering what other opinions from the consumer's thoughts are compared to petrol gas

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My main question right now is MPGe compared to MPG on unleaded.

the way this is set up is it can use both gasses and when one tank gets empty, just flip the switch to the other fuel.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
diesel gives the best mileage overall, cng normally gives slightly better mileage than petrol, which is normally slightly better than lpg

so comes down to local availability and price, and is this a longterm or shorterm vehicle?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You'll get 10 to 12 miles per gallon in a typical van set-up.

That might be enough to stop your project if CNG isn't downright cheap. A 20 gallon tank is too big to fit under the floor, so it needs to go inside or you'll have to use multiple smaller tanks. If you get past the number that will fit between the frame rails and don't want an inside mount, you'll have to lose your spare tire to make room.

PS: Consider how much all of this will weigh.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

That might be enough to stop your project if CNG isn't downright cheap. A 20 gallon tank is too big to fit under the floor, so it needs to go inside or you'll have to use multiple smaller tanks. If you get past the number that will fit between the frame rails and don't want an inside mount, you'll have to lose your spare tire to make room.

There is already two fuel tap lines routed to the bed of the truck where a tank was there from the previous owner. I have some questions that I’m going to ask a CNG technician when I want to purchase a tank.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

The tank will be bolted to the front of this truck bed

D11EE9EF-8F2E-4DE7-BCB5-BB10BCCC4EFB.jpeg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Miles per gallon is less with CNG but price is much less usually. Good for your engine and the environment. With the right adaptor, you can fill up from your home.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Miles per gallon is less with CNG but price is much less usually. Good for your engine and the environment. With the right adaptor, you can fill up from your home.
CNG has to be highly compressed. Unless there's been some major breakthrough, I believe the home units cost thousands of dollars and take hours to fill a tank. Running a Tesla charging unit is also costly and takes hours to charge, just another cost to factor in.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
CNG is about .48c/gallon here. It may be more if you have to buy it from a dealer but if your house has NG service then you can get a fill station for about 5 grand.

if your house doesnt have NG service then I wouldnt bother converting it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom