coaching --- mentoring

Name
Ron lippold
how many of you guys pay a mentor or a coach. what do you get how have they helped you achieve your goals. how much $ and what kind of time do you get for the money spent.

Al

Everyone knows I use Scott Rendall's mentoring service, I'm in my third year and plan on continuing. I recently met one of Scott's mentors in Colorado and that was a very memorable experience.

what do you get how have they helped you achieve your goals. how much $ and what kind of time do you get for the money spent.

What do I get?

I'll try on this but I get so much I'll never be able to express it all. I get a 1 hour phone call with Scott each week. In the beginning we did a lot of role playing back and forth and my telephone sales ( I thought were great) improved tremendously. It was a slow winter when I signed with Scott and I used the last of my funds to do it, with in 10 minutes after our first Mentor call I scored 2 jobs!

It's been like that since! He can help in any area of the business, for me anyway, I needed a lot of help.

Besides the 1 hour call, I can call, Email anytime and get help fast. Scott will do training with any of my employees as well. Sometimes we have a group session on speaker phone.

He taught me how to work smarter and land accounts over the phone and how quotes in person were a waste of valuable time, I used to do so many things in person that can be done over the telephone just as well or even better.
I've landed commercial accounts that were calling because they needed 3 estimates and got them to chose us right then.

It's not like he tells me what to do, he makes suggestions. Like water damage that was my own Idea but Scott reinforced it and walks me through the steps.

Example: Scott says "hows WD collections coming? " I say, well I have 3 problem ones, we go over them and Scott says it's time for a demand letter, Ill write one up and get it right over to you.

I sent out his demand letter and immediately received 2 of the 3 checks.

He suggested a director of marketing when he thought the time was right,
I'm like OK, ( I had never even considered this) Scott writes me an add suggests Craig's list shows me how to post it. Taught me how to interview properly. What the D.O.M's responsibilities would be, how I would pay her, what should expect from her and so on.
I don't wait a second I'm a doer, lol That add was up immediately.

I have all the materials for running employee's, company hand book, discipline forms everything I need.

Scott got us doing Press releases, he sent us a template to make it easy.
He's always sending us valuable stuff!

This isn't working...lol the more I type the more things I think of that Scott does for us.

Learning from other peoples mistakes is awesome, Scott stops us from making mistakes, that saves time, time ='s money!

Like anything though it don't work by itself, you gotta do the work.

Al

The role playing I refer to, is when Scott is the potential client and we are the sales person then we switch back and forth. :roll:

mf

Do you guys have group "role playing" time? j/k

I hung out all week with AL at MF. I got to see first hand how much help that Scott is to AL. Any problem back home (when we were at the grange and couldn't answer our phones) was directed to Scott.
The years of experience will definitely help grow your business with minimizing mistakes.

I'd suggest calling AL and some of the other guys he works with talk to them.

WISE

Scott's budget program is gold.

The role playing was a HUGE benefit to me. To be honest, I thought it was kinda hokey when he brought it up...but I have to say--one of the best improvements I made was/is phone skills. Knowing what to say to every possible thing the client may say. Questions to ask...Including that ONE thnig to say that gets the deal done most everytime. Al I am sure you know what I am referring to. For the others, call Scott.

I will admit that I have had and still have trouble with delegating responsibility to my manager. Even stuff I put him in charge of, I find myself going back to check to make sure he has done it right. And he always does, so it is a mental thing with me I guess. Getting better though, as I really don't have time to be checking up on him. Checklists keep everyone on track. But the systems Scott outlines and will help customize to your company are what is REQUIRED to grow, have a business--not a job, and build value for that eventual sale.

Best--
WISE

Scott

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It means a lot to me. I work hard to help my students succeed and if they don't it really upsets me. Yes, I do take it personal.

I won't turn this into an ad because it's not my style. I'm a "fly under the radar" kind of guy on the boards because my belief is that disguising ads as posts is misuse and disrespect to the owners. Not to mention it's an insult to the intelligence of the readers, IMHO. However, I do think it's important to share with you what I've learned over the years both as a student as well as a mentor.

Ron, I'll tell you my experience with those who have mentored and coached me over the years. I certainly don't know everything and will never claim to. But fairly early in my career I was smart enough to realize that since I will never know it all I needed to hire someone or even several people to help me in the areas that I didn't understand or even knew existed. We don't know what we don't know.

Marketing, phone skills, finances, business structure, employees, stocks, real estate - you name it, I have or had a coach/mentor for it. I still have mentors and coaches and always will. It's the best and fastest way to success, IMHO.

As business owners we don't have a boss to tell us what we need to do. We're forced to learn skills on our own that grow the business. Some of these skills take years or even decades to fully understand on our own. With coaching/mentoring, I've found that the learning process is fast-forwarded from years to months and decades to a year or two - or even less. Putting the knowledge into action is ALWAYS the owner's responsibility as Mike alluded to, of course. But a great Mentor also is responsible to doing all he/she can to help the owner to take action.

Al mentioned meeting one of my mentors who lives in Colorado and San Diego. He's not in our industry but taught me how we're wasting time doing demos, quotes, and presentations. He was beside himself to learn that people in our industry actually travel to a job for a measly $200-$500 quote - or even less. I was one of those who did a quote or demo on just about every job before I learned how much of a waste of time and money they are. Here's this guy who does million dollar deals over the phone frequently and we're running all over the place using up our time, energy and resources for a few hundred bucks? And then we don't even know if we have a sale? The eye opener for me was discovering that prospects actually lie and OFTEN use our quotes against us. Once I saw the light I never went back.

I have another mentor who teaches branding and went from an "orange" to a "banana"

And another who consults w/me about finances and business structure. I am starting up my 3rd business this year from his advice.

..and yet another who is a brilliant marketer. (Al met him too)

I have lost track of how much money I've spent on coaches, consultants, and mentors, but it's safe to say it's over $100k over the years. But, the value I received over the years has been easily worth 10-20X that amount. It's not like hiring someone to do a job where you pay them and you receive the benefit once. The beauty with mentoring is the skills are life-long.

Now for the downer. Not all business coaches and mentors are created equal. Some are just guys with fancy titles or are brilliant marketers that don't really know what they're doing. I've hired a few of them over the years as well. I still received benefits equal to what I paid in most cases, but a few are much better than the majority.

It takes a special person to be a great mentor, and I don't say that to toot my own horn. It's a lot of work, it can be extremely frustrating at times, and a great mentor always looks out for his student's interests first. I remember one mentor I hired was very good and knew his stuff, but he clearly didn't have my best interests in mind. I don't want to say he didn't care, but oftentimes I got that impression. He was late for meetings and seldom returned my calls. When I was able to reach him he was good, but that left a bad impression on me. Looking back he taught me yet another valuable lesson - that if I wanted to be a great coach/mentor, I couldn't be like this guy.

Another pet peeve of mine is group sessions consisting of several different businesses. Sure there's benefits to group sessions but I always found that the coach/mentor would concentrate on the weakest link and not be attuned to individual needs but group needs. I'm not saying they're bad, but just not for me.

I could go on and on because it is my passion but I don't want this to be viewed as an ad so I'll quit while I'm ahead. These are just some of the things I've learned over the years on both sides of the mentoring aisle.

Scott

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
You Can't Go Wrong with Anything Scott Has Out There!!
He Is Highly Intelligent and Somewhat Of a Perfectionist
In Which I can Relate To (SORRY SCOTT).I Feel It Would
Be Worth Any ones Investment If They Really Want To Take There Business To The Next Level!!!

All The Best, Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom