"cob" flooring..

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey Mike! This is *******, ***** ****'swife. My mom has a natural cob floor and wants to strip a layer of wax off it. She wants to sand it down smooth then reapply wax. It's cob so it's like concrete. What do your recommend?

I had never heard of this hippy dippy type floor, which is surprising haven't spent all those years in Santa Cruz.. There's actually quite a bit of info on how the build one but not how to strip old wax on without destroying it is there anybody here knows anything about cob floors?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Hey Mike! This is *******, ***** ****'swife. My mom has a natural cob floor and wants to strip a layer of wax off it. She wants to sand it down smooth then reapply wax. It's cob so it's like concrete. What do your recommend?

I had never heard of this hippy dippy type floor, which is surprising haven't spent all those years in Santa Cruz.. There's actually quite a bit of info on how the build one but not how to strip old wax on without destroying it is there anybody here knows anything about cob floors?

Call Larry.

FredC

Village Idiot
I've seen a few cob houses.......never given much thought that it might be used for the floor too

Mikey P

Administrator
I've seen a few cob houses.......never given much thought that it might be used for the floor too
Did you find anything that would relate to her question as far as stripping something off the floor without busting it all the pieces or emulsifying it?

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
The property i was in at Oregon was a cobhouse. My wife mom has that floor. She sand and reapply wax. She does it by hand because it offgrid and the solor power isnt enough to operat 175

FredC

Village Idiot
sanding1.jpg

sanding2.jpg

FredC

Village Idiot
Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

FredC

Village Idiot
so it looks like

scrub with soap/water (maybe a little dlime)
re-oil (?) and let cure
sand with green pad or 80-120 grit sandpaper
Apply new wax coat
buff with a white pad

*I'd be curious if the "sand it down smooth" is to correct problems that are better corrected by other methods or even a complete redo or just to give a more polished texture

Reactions: FB7777
F

FB7777

All I know is , I wish you had joined Spinal Tap in the early days

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom