cold and how does it affect diesel, vortex users

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
diesel can gel when it gets cold, it is going to be in the teens here for the next week or so, so I am gonna get some anti-gelling additive but the owners manual says not to use an additives

They sell mostly B5 diesel which is 5% bio-diesel but can also get
B20
B50
B99

what blends have you ran in the Vortex

do the other blends gel worse or not as much

I think Rampage said he quit running bio-diesel

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Bio-diesel gels at higher temperature, i run b-20 in the vortex and my dodge all the time. I really can't comment on the vortex because it's garaged in a heated shop. The dodge I've had in overnight temps around 0 degrees and it worked just fine with/ power service diesel additive. Joe's carries power service it's sold in a nice 12OZ bottle i toss a couple under the truck seat so it's there when i need it. Joe's often runs out when we get a cold snap If you cant find any there Brattin trucks on NE Colombia (north side of the street a block or two west of MLK... kind of hard to find) it's a trucker shop so they carry a smorgasbord of anti-gel fuel additive products and always have plenty on hand.

Up north they use "winter diesel" blends which is basically diesel cut with kerosene or JP8 .. I'm not advocating this because Kerosene lacks the lubricating properties needed in a diesel fuel systems so they add lubricants back in but in a pinch ?

Becker

Name
Becker
Steve I think you will be fine!
Does the truck have a block heater? If so I'd plug it in, as for the fuel gelling, not cold enough not at all.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
If you are in a cold climate, they have already put out the blended diesel...it comes out around Nov. or so, and lasts til march...depending on where you live...

If your worried, put in the power service...that additive works like a champ, and wont screw anything up..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom